80 vs 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this on the hundred series page two, but I want to get the other sides perspective, hope that's okay.

I am in the market for my first LC/LX and am stuck between choosing an 80 or a 100 series. I will be using this for doing an overland build. I will be doing day trips to local fire service roads, with some overnight camping here and there in National Forest/BLM land. I hope to do at least one multi-day over landing trip a year.

The 80 is obviously more capable and it seems easier to do suspension mods on, plus it just has that old school cool aesthetic. The draw of the hundred series is it seems to be larger and more comfortable, which may become important down the line as I have two small children. I'm afraid that if I get an 80 that they will not want to spend all day in the backseat, let alone and multi-day camping trip on the trail. It seems like even though it isn't quite as capable as the 80 series, it is plenty capable for my needs. The only downside I see is it doesn't look as cool and it is much more complicated when it comes to wrenching. I'm not a super good mechanic but I know how to follow YouTube video, and my brother is CAT mechanic who owns a 91 FJ80.

Another part of my conundrum is how the market is right now. For example for $8k I found a very clean 91 FJ 80, with 270k miles. I also found an LX 450 with an ARB bumper and winch that has 205k miles, asking $12k. For the hundred series I have found a few examples that are between 150 and 200,000 mi and they're asking prices have been $14k to $17k. It seems like for not a whole lot more money I can get a newer platform as a base for my build. My rational side says 100 series is the better choice but my emotional side is telling me I may regret not getting an 80, though I am concerned about buying a 30-year-old vehicle with such high miles, as well as fitting a family of four in it for years to come.

Who has had an 80 and moved to a 100 or vice versa, thoughts? Regrets?

What should I do?!

How small are your children? If they're in car seats, I'd look for a 100 with LATCH. Makes carseats a lot easier. If they are beyond that (or will be very soon) then either will be very capable. Carseats and non-locking shoulder belts were my main issue with the 80 and small children. They do love riding in it and always have though.

How small are your children? If they're in car seats, I'd look for a 100 with LATCH. Makes carseats a lot easier. If they are beyond that (or will be very soon) then either will be very capable. Carseats and non-locking shoulder belts were my main issue with the 80 and small children. They do love riding in it and always have though.
One is in a booster and one will be in a car seat a while. I didn't think of that, thanks.

One is in a booster and one will be in a car seat a while. I didn't think of that, thanks.
You're welcome. It may not be a big deal for you but our car seats were ... finicky. :) It wasn't something I thought of when I got it and wish I had just so I realized what I was getting into (not that I would have changed my mind.)

Theft prevention might be a consideration. The 80’s stock alarm systems aren’t much of a deterrent. The 100 might be better?

IMHO, 100.

80 nice, strong, will work forever (with good maintenance).
100 more comfortable, V8 is better (and still made by "oldschool toyota" against dead L6

price difference is too big between "good" 80 and "exhausted" 100.

After driving a 100-series in central Africa for 6 months, I can tell you that it is plenty capable for your needs. That being said, my little ones (sitting on boosters) never complained sitting in the 3rd row of an 80-series. In retrospect, I should have bought a 100-series because we ended up buying a small camper. Towing with an 80 is doable, but it is more enjoyable in the 100-series.

From your own description of what you will be doing with the vehicle ("overlanding" in the US on roads with the family), and what you don't mention, but I will assume (using it as a daily driver)... You want a road rig. And the 100 is probably better for you for that. Either will handle the type of recreational use you mention. To be honest, so would a 4Runner, Sequoia, or any other rig that puts power to all four tires and is not too low clearance.

I have had a couple of 100 series tag along on a couple of trips. Unimpressed to say the least. Mainly by the completely below par performance of the vaunted active traction control system as opposed to actual locking diffs. But they were tasked beyond what you are looking for and differently that you seem to need.

Mark...

went from an 80 to a 100... Would happily own either one. The 100 is superior in pretty much every driving dynamic except serious off road work. If you are going to tow anything pick the Hundy no question. If you are going to wheel hard enough to do body damage pick a locked 80.

From your own description of what you will be doing with the vehicle ("overlanding" in the US on roads with the family), and what you don't mention, but I will assume (using it as a daily driver)... You want a road rig. And the 100 is probably better for you for that. Either will handle the type of recreational use you mention. To be honest, so would a 4Runner, Sequoia, or any other rig that puts power to all four tires and is not too low clearance.

I have had a couple of 100 series tag along on a couple of trips. Unimpressed to say the least. Mainly by the completely below par performance of the vaunted active traction control system as opposed to actual locking diffs. But they were tasked beyond what you are looking for and differently that you seem to need.

Mark...

I won't be DDing this truck at all, it will be a toy. I have a little Mazda 3 to commute in and a F-250 to pull my travel trailer. This rig will be strictly for "overlanding" and off roading. I imagine I'll use it once a month on average, maybe a couple times a month in the summer with the aforementioned yearly multi-day trip.

I guess part of it is it's hard for me to pay that asking price of $17, 000 for a lower miles (eg 150k) FJZ80 when I could spend the same amount of money on a 100 series in similar condition.

Don't take take this the wrong way but all the answer is on MUD. You don't need us to tell you what you need/want if you read up.
Use all the fact given by mudders to decide.
Example.....head gasket is not an issue with high milege fzj80. 200k-300k miles is not high on these FZJ80 (all depends on PO and maintenance). I take it you are a newbee but do your research here on MUD and stop listening to your family members that doesn't own a LC. From what you described-i would need an FZJ80. Not FJ80 or 100. You answered your own question: "This rig will be strictly for "overlanding" and off roading. " 3x lock is a plus but solid axle dominate over the 100. Don't let high mileage scare you and what ever model you decide you will spend $$$. Just get one with maintenance records. Ask any fzj80 owners, would you rather buy a low mileage with spotty maintenance records or HIGH mileage with books of records?
Good luck.

Last edited:
as someone that has owned a ton of cruiser i say you get................... neither based on what you want to do with it.

look for a GX470, we got one not too long ago and man that thing is amazing. cheaper than the the 80 or 100 (for now, market is nuts) and way cheaper to mod. most parts swap between the taco/4r/fjc and can be had anywhere. such an amazing light duty wheeler.

Don't take take this the wrong way but all the answer is on MUD. You don't need us to tell you what you need/want if you read up.
Use all the fact given by mudders to decide.
Example.....head gasket is not an issue with high milege fzj80. 200k-300k miles is not high on these FZJ80 (all depends on PO and maintenance). I take it you are a newbee but do your research here on MUD and stop listening to your family members that doesn't own a LC. From what you described-i would need an FZJ80. Not FJ80 or 100. You answered your own question: "This rig will be strictly for "overlanding" and off roading. " 3x lock is a plus but solid axle dominate over the 100. Don't let high mileage scare you and what ever model you decide you will spend $$$. Just get one with maintenance records. Ask any fzj80 owners, would you rather buy a low mileage with spotty maintenance records or HIGH mileage with books of records?
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

For your usage, 100 all day. Or even a solid 1st gen Sequoia. A GX470 or 4runner is also a good choice once you scope out the interior space and make sure it suits your needs. The non-LC toyotas are a lot more plentiful, generally better priced, and less maintenance intensive. All are more than adequate for your off-roading needs.

7ee8c9c5f83cca6065073faa962b8c8c.jpg

Last edited:
You say it's strictly a toy, fzj80 all the way all day.
The overlanding 4x4 thing is a disease that once you start you can't stop.
With the 80 you can take it as far as you like/dare.

I prefer and 80 but you won't regret a 100, GX, sequoia, 4r or fjc. They will all get you what you are looking for but the least comfortable with kids will be the fjcruiser. Access to the back seat is not fun.

Hope that"narrowed" it down for you haha

If you have to ask than an 80 series is not for you.

Installing a car seat in the 80 wasn't an issue for me. In fact my little one came home from the hospital in our 80 after she was born. I'm on the 3rd car seat now that she's 4 and this one should last a while.

If the choice is between a early 80 series (91-92) or a 100 series I'd definitely go with the 100 for family use.

> The 4.7 is a so so motor.

Now that is a hot take.

The 4.7 is a total tank. It doesn't have the head gasket issues that so many other toyota vehicles had. It in general is super easy to work on. It gets almost the exact same gas mileage as a 4.5.

I'm shocked you pick that as the reason you back up the "not much of a 100 series fan at all". The 4.7 was used in literally all the other vehicles you listed there (besides the Tacoma).

I just sold my GX and loved every minute of the reliability the 4.7 provided.

To answer the OPs question, if you're really looking at the 100 series definitely have a look at the GX470. Not quite as big, but the after market support is pretty much the same as the 100 series at this point and they're becoming widely used for off road/overlanding builds. Plus the interior feels wayyy nicer than a runner, sequoia, or tundra of that vintage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom