80 series Wetness on rear seatbelt and front passenger foot well (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

On my 80 series, during rain season I get wetness on front passenger footwell and also at times rear seatbelt, is the water comming in via door rubbers? Appreciate any help

Do your roof sliders have any rust around the bolt holes? I didnt realize I had rust holes up there for a while but they were the cause of alot of my water intrusion problems

Check your sunroof drains.

Do you have a luggage rack? If so, check for leaking around its bolt holes. (seatbelt)
Do you have a sunroof? If so, check its drains.
The windshield gasket can leak, possibly causing the foot well wetness - if it isn't your heater core leaking from behind the dash.

Sunroof drains are probably clogged. Open the sunroof and look down and you can see 4 drains, one in each corner. Snake them out and it should keep water from pooling and leaking inside

The front sun roof drains are pretty obvious. Easy to get to and unplug from the top. Their drains exit INSIDE the rocker panels so can't really be gotten to from underneath the truck.

The rear ones are way back under there. The best thing to do to start with them is to get under the truck behind the rear wheels. Look up and you should see the hose that exits from the two rear drains on each side. Take a thin stainless steel cable (like used on overhead doors) and run it UP from the bottom. You will probably have to then rinse some water into where it can drain to flush things, perhaps repeating several times before things are flowing well.

IME one cause of a wet rear seat belt could be water coming from the rear quarter window belt molding mounting holes. There is (was) a very thin gasket at each mounting hole (?5) for the molding clips, when that gasket deteriorates water can get into the rear quarter panel via those holes.

If the leak is toward the rear of the molding it can drip onto the bottle jack in the left quarter panel, the tip off is rust stains on the plastic holder for the jack and the jack itself. Or a puddle of water sitting at the bottom of either quarter panel.

If the leaking hole/clip is closest to the rear door, the water can trickle forward over the rear wheel hump and can get the belt wet along with the carpet closest to the rear door/floor.

Noticed this while my carpet and rear seats were removed and then it rained. Used a small button of non-hardening sealant to cover each hole then pushed the molding clips/molding back into place.

sunroof drains

green line is the ticket - we tried thicker and narrower, green is where it's at for flexibility and stiffness at the same time

IME one cause of a wet rear seat belt could be water coming from the rear quarter window belt molding mounting holes. There is (was) a very thin gasket at each mounting hole (?5) for the molding clips, when that gasket deteriorates water can get into the rear quarter panel via those holes.

If the leak is toward the rear of the molding it can drip onto the bottle jack in the left quarter panel, the tip off is rust stains on the plastic holder for the jack and the jack itself. Or a puddle of water sitting at the bottom of either quarter panel.

If the leaking hole/clip is closest to the rear door, the water can trickle forward over the rear wheel hump and can get the belt wet along with the carpet closest to the rear door/floor.

Noticed this while my carpet and rear seats were removed and then it rained. Used a small button of non-hardening sealant to cover each hole then pushed the molding clips/molding back into place.
Have that exact problem on mine....look forward to trying your solution

I had this issue, I truly wish my LC was a tin top, I hate the sunroof, useless invention. I finally got fed up with it (I've changed seals, reseated it before) and sealed it shut, removed the electrical connectors. I think I did a nice job sealing it too, looks factory smooth.

50811279356_065a9b1b53_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom