80 Series Rock Rails by LandCruiserPhil - orange is the new black..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the impression Phil wanted to start a new thread for his product so if that's the case, my apologies for jumping the gun (I searched, couldn't find a dedicated thread although the soap opera over here was mildly entertaining - I digress). I purchased a set from Phil yesterday and found myself in dire need to install them this afternoon/evening and wanted to share how things turned out.

First, one of the understated advantages of the Rock Rails (I dig the product name) is the "stealth" attribute which I immediately ignored and painted mine orange.....yup. I originally thought the same red color in the 'TRD' lettering of my wheels was the way to go but found it difficult to match with the selection at my local Home Depot. A closely-matched orange to the side markers on the truck won me over. My wife even exclaimed she really likes the installed/painted product but I'm jumping ahead. However, I will tell you that the Rustoleum product I selected isn't one I'd go with again.....stick with Phil's recommended Krylon if you can find it as the Rusto really chips/scratches easily (I mean EASILY.....).

Aside from time invested painting and trying to protect (a protective clear coat), the install isn't too bad for the average Joe. Marking the drill locations vs. measuring is KEY (thx Phil!). You need to also be sure you get your center-punches centered vertically in the pinch seam since the nuts (12mm, nice touch) rest right inside the lip of the pinch seam you're trying to protect with this product. I had to rubber-mallet my way in for both sides (not a big deal) but it was really fairly straightforward. Speaking of the drilling, first center-punch after you've marked off your bolt locations (as noted above), go with an 1/8" starter, followed by a 3/8" and then clean up with a rat-tail file.

Before actually getting the rails attached to the body, I used some leftover rubber material (same stuff I used on the interior in a few spots) to help avoid direct Rock Rail/pinch seam connections. I just felt some buffer was needed (pics below help illustrate better than I'm able to describe....). I haven't yet cut the front-wheel mud-flaps to accommodate the rails - will get to that tomorrow.

As I just installed, I can't yet speak to the protective aspect of the product but can tell that there's some legitimate insurance I just added down below. All told, I'd strongly recommend if you're in the market for some protection here without the expense of the more aggressive products from the "big boys".

All told....I'm stoked!!! Nice product Phil.

Drivers 1.jpg

Drivers 2.jpg

Drivers 3.jpg

Drivers 4.jpg

Drivers 5.jpg

Last edited:
A few more pics.....

Passenger 1.jpg

Passenger 2.jpg

Passenger 3.jpg

Rails with rubber 3.jpg

Final pics, underside shots.

Drivers underside.jpg

Passenger (underside 1).jpg

You bet and thanks again for carrying your idea forward to an actual product. Your timing was great in that I was recently starting the "I should get sliders" vs. "I don't want to pay for sliders" debate with myself. I was just back in the garage banging on the installed Rock Rails with my mallet again (taking some pretty solid wacks at both sides) and those things are SOLID. Much appreciated sir.....

--t

i cannot tell from the pictures but are all the mounting points on the body?

You essentially hold the rail in place, mark the bolt locations, drill and secure. These pics might help.

IMAG0408.jpg

Image 12.jpg

I get mine tomorrow!! I will go with black, although your orange didn't look as bad as I had imagined prior to looking at your pics.

Wow, those are about as low profile as possible. What "rubber" did you use?? Not a bad idea!

Thanks for the tips on the install.

Phil, i guessing there is no issue in using a hi-jack lift on the rails?? Obviously, I would place the lift directly under a mounting bolt.

Thanks!

The Stealth Sliders are ON!!! I painted mine silver. I dig these because of the light weight (25lb), and protection, price and pretty-ness. hahaha.
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG

Looks great. Can't wait to open up my fedex box tomorrow. To bad it will be awhile before I can install them.

has anyone hit these on a rock yet or tested these out? How well are they holding up?

Trying to figure out how I can attach some steps for the perfect solution.

Phil, nice work on making these available to us!

What is the strip of metal running lengthwise down the pipe for? I'm guessing to help keep from ripping the tabs off? I can't tell in the pics.

I will go with black, although your orange didn't look as bad as I had imagined prior to looking at your pics.

Wow, those are about as low profile as possible. What "rubber" did you use??

No idea really why I went with something so bright, just felt like it. Your silver looks great and better fits the stealth aspect - well done. The rubber is this, or close to it. Tough to tell from the website but that looks very close to what I picked up at the HD close by - cheap and easy to work with (double-sided tape to adhere).

has anyone hit these on a rock yet or tested these out? How well are they holding up?
Phil would have to comment - he's got another thread here that describes the ~2 year "break in" period that ultimately resulted in him productizing this. Truck hasn't left my garage since getting mine installed. All I can tell you is that they seem pretty darn stout.

Trying to figure out how I can attach some steps for the perfect solution.

Phil, nice work on making these available to us!

I doubt that's an option. Adding a step to these rails would naturally want to rotate them down and underneath the truck body (once someone actually stepped on them) given the bolt-thru installation directly to the pinch-seam (effectively creating a moment/torque against that piece which it isn't engineered or strong enough to absorb).

I'm not sure if this thread is helping, complementing, or interfering with Phil's dedicated thread now that he's got one. ??

How were my instruction and your installation time?

X2?

Zona - I should have picked yours up (or vice versa). Lots of driving for both of us to be picking those up from Phil.

Last edited:
X2?

Zona - I should have picked yours up (or vice versa). Lots of driving for both of us to be picking those up from Phil.

TLIN,

Pretty funny that we both picked these sliders up from Phil, had I known I would've offered to pick yours up as well.

I'm not going to pivot off these sliders but they sure do allow us to keep the clearance level high, cheers!!

Zona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom