80 Series PS reservoir cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
I searched and didn’t find a thread in 80 series tech on the subject of removing the top cover from the PS reservoir and cleaning the gunk out. This is also an opportunity to fix a leak from the reservoir if you have one.

I decided to post this after I spent the time cleaning the strainer/diffuser so I posted no photos of the crud that was stuck to it. In my estimation, the strainer was 20% blocked with debris. I have two reservoirs, one 93 and one 94. I pulled them both apart and found the 1994 unit was more like 30% blocked with debris so I worked with the cleaner 1993 unit. Also, the rubber seal that fits between the top and reservoir from the 1993 unit was not cracked and much more flexible than the seal from the 1994 unit. This, coupled with the fact the 1993 reservoir was cleaner inside has me thinking it was a replacement reservoir.

Fold the crimp tabs out to remove the top. I used a scribe with a curly que point on it to get under the tabs and start the process. To remove the strainer/ diffuser,
F7A1DC06-EB15-43F1-851D-9CB98D722D1F.jpeg
A9E70AD1-6BB7-456B-9EC8-E1BF19A4B19E.jpeg
7BFF083D-6E2E-44D7-976E-7BDA38BBFC29.jpeg
E4584382-C80B-4D28-B719-228D5A06CAFF.jpeg
grip the inlet tunnel with vise grips ( go easy) and pull up. It will only come out by pulling one side up and out so the strainer ends up at an angle inside the reservoir.

I used gasoline and a toothbrush to clean everything up and then blew the screen off with compressed air. Reassembly is opposite but the same as disassembly. Since I will install a
Magnefine in-line filter just before the reservoir, I know I will never do this again so I used a little RTV on both sides of the rubber lid seal to ensure no leaks.

That’s what I’m curious about also, what material was plugging up the strainer? Thanks for the write-up.

I wasn’t experiencing any problems other than a mysterious leak from the reservoir that persisted after I replaced the cap/dip stick, though to a lesser degree. And, I wanted to ensure max flow to accommodate the brake hydro booster I’m installing and maybe even hydro assist some day (because enough is never enough).

I figured there had to be something caught in the strainer after 25 years so I took both reservoirs apart to see. What I found was black debris that didn’t dissolve in acetone or gas. Gas worked best for loosening the debris from the strainer. Initially, I went after it with an old toothbrush and found the debris to be stuck to the strainer quite tenaciously. I soaked both strainers in gas for 15 minutes and then used compressed air and some mechanical scrubbing with the toothbrush to make it as clean as it is in the pics.

When I say 20% or 30% blocked, I mean I the center area where the fluid rushes in after flowing through the entire system. That small area of strainer is where the fluid is first filtered so that is where the highest concentration of debris is caught. My guess is that the debris is a combination of rubber hose material and metal particles.

It seems that this could develop into enough of a blockage that it could cause pump cavitation, lack of power assist and the famous “groaning” sounds that have been reported

Did you replace the rubber seal? Would an o-ring be an acceptable choice? I also have a leak but my rubber seal was shot. I tried to RTV it but it began leaking again a year later.

At a certain point all we can do is try a new idea. I actually gave the O ring idea a thought but then I found that the rubber seal on my other reservoir was quite pliable. If I were to use an O ring, I would also use some sort of sealant, maybe poyeurthne. Or, you could use JB weld stick. This would result in a permanent seal but I doubt you’ll need to remove the top again.

I have a spare or the original resovoir, I so fear taking out the reovoir because then I HAVE to bleed the system its always been the bain of my existence. But I have a new PS pump to install so might as well. great write up.

Great info ! I have the annoying leak and I wonder if the seal is a part that can be found for purchase ?

I am refreshing my power steering very soon and want to clean out the reservoir, but have considered just soaking it in a gasoline bath, shaking it and repeating. Do you think that would work, or from what you saw during disassembly it looked like it has to come apart to get clean?

Thanks,

I am refreshing my power steering very soon and want to clean out the reservoir, but have considered just soaking it in a gasoline bath, shaking it and repeating. Do you think that would work, or from what you saw during disassembly it looked like it has to come apart to get clean?

Thanks,
I don’t believe it could be cleaned well without removing the top. The compressed air post gasoline soaking is what made the difference for me. It’s obvious from the way the top is so simply attached to the tank that it was designed for easy maintenance. Heck, we are so picky about oil, air and trans filters it only seems fitting that this PS fluid strainer/ diffuser should be treated as a maintenance item.

As I said earlier, even though my seal was still pliable, I sealed my lid on with RTV with no plans of ever removing it again because I’m installing a Magnefine inline filter. If we could buy the seal separately I probably would not have gone this route. If my seal were no good at all, I would either JB weld the top on or bite the bullet and buy a new res which I nearly did but the price is outrageous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom