80 series Headlight Upgrade? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

exactly why a LED globe with no beam cutoff creates a blinding haze to oncoming drivers...H4 reflectors are designed for H4 halogen globes only with the cutoff built into the reflector, hunt around and there are LED's with cutoffs that work just fine beam pattern wise.... yeah, PITA with most things being illegal but the main ones are worth being that way......
you are thinking of projectors... those have cutoff, and they just happen to be LED's.

Halogen bulbs do not have cut off. it's all based on the reflectors. The nice LED replacement bulbs approximate the halogen filament. The reflectors don't care what produces the light, just that it produces the light in the same location and direction as a halogen filament.

As long as you are happy with all your rules :rofl:

Yes you can. I did and it works great. Using regular stock wiring. I have the Slee upgrade but dont use it. It did not make any difference with my older halogen bulbs and the Leds take less energy.
So did the low beam and the high beam Filament run at the same time on the h4 plus the h1?

I just upgraded to the glass depot lights with the H4 and H1 bulbs. I took the middle reflector out(see pictures) It is designed for halogen bulbs, not Leds. The H4 bulb has a high beam and low beam. I have it wired so both the H4 and H1 bulbs come on for high beam. The H4 low beam shoots light to the top of the reflector which sends the light downward. Very distinct cutoff pattern which is exactly what I was hoping for. I had strong halogens in my OEM lights and they would blind on coming traffic. The new set does not. The high beams now are INSANE! I used stock wiring with wiring adaptors( from Amazon.) The only thing I dont like is the pattern from the low beam that others have mentioned. While they have a good cut off, the pattern overall is not consistant. Still plenty of light just wierd angles and lines.

What is "clocking"? The bulbs only fit in one way, so I dont see how they can be adjusted other than adjusting the entire housing.

Screenshot_20231209_103649_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20231209_103356.jpg

20231209_103344.jpg

20231209_103426.jpg

I replaced factory headlights bulb with slee harness and HIR many years without problem. Just recently upgraded to LED and depo housing with projectors. The light pattern is superb. View attachment 3501665
Could you share some more details on your complete set up? Looks really cool. Are those something like Baja Designs Squadron lights in the high beam position??

you are thinking of projectors... those have cutoff, and they just happen to be LED's.

Halogen bulbs do not have cut off. it's all based on the reflectors. The nice LED replacement bulbs approximate the halogen filament. The reflectors don't care what produces the light, just that it produces the light in the same location and direction as a halogen filament.

As long as you are happy with all your rules :rofl:
I think you need to read my comment again..........you will see that it states the cutoff is built into the reflector

anyway, enuf said

The filament ABSOLUTELY contributes to the cutoff line and the lamp having the appropriate pattern. I work at Sapphire Technical Solutions and we are an official test facility for NHTSA(National Hightway Transportation Safety Administration) and Transport Canada. We are responsible for testing automotive exterior lighting to ensure that it conforms to FMVSS108 which is the federal law that dictates headlight requirements for the US and Canada.

Unlike new lights today, the light housings for our trucks were designed around the bulb filament, where as new lights today, the light source is designed around the housing. The parabolic reflector and the "checkers" in the glass lens are designed to work specifically with the filament in the 9005 series halogen bulbs. We have tested many LED replacements and not one has passed for the US, Canada, or EU for low beam regardless of the bulb manufacturer. Filaments can produce light in all directions. LED's that are bright enough for automotive use only produce light in one direction. That is why you see LED's on multiple sides of the structure, but it still doesnt produce consistent light in all directions. In short, the filament and the housing make the pattern/cutoff together. Thats why all the LED replacements say "for offroad use only", they are legally required to if it is a reputable brand from a reputable retailer.

I know they have 2 but do they both run at the same time when high beams are on
I have the H1 and H4 wired for high beam togerher. Both of the filments in the H4 should come on because the high and low beam come on with the OEM housing and you are using same wiring that the OEM lights had. Just with H4 and H1 adapotors. Here are the adaptors I spliced in.

Screenshot_20231212_192200_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_192124_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I have the H1 and H4 wired for high beam togerher. Both of the filments in the H4 should come on because the high and low beam come on with the OEM housing and you are using same wiring that the OEM lights had. Just with H4 and H1 adapotors. Here are the adaptors I spliced in.

View attachment 3505605

View attachment 3505606
I’ve got them with adapters. However there is not a 3rd wire coming off the h4. Would it be easier to add a 3rd female connector to the main h4 connector (as it had an empty slot) or just get a new plug that already has the 3rd wire coming off it?

I have the DEPO glass euro style housings, but wouldn't mind a bulb upgrade too. Been considering wiring the high beam in the lo side for mtn passes at least.

They're a good looking housing and so far after three years haven't collected a rock chip yet.
51750275468_ce33f9f4d5_h.jpg

Update: After attempting to jump the positive from the high beam to the third wire on the h4. I have found that the led will not let you run the low and high at the same time on the h4. Not sure if just having the high beam on the h4 plus the h1 would be worth the work compared to low on the h4 plus h1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom