80 series Headlight Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had experience with the aftermarket Halo LED headlights where the entire unit is replaced. I noticed the lenses are plastic and not glass which I don't like. But what about functionality and brightness? I'm looking at something similar to the these ones.
1701986049710.png

Or should I just get LED bulbs to replace the stock bulbs?
Thank you

note that if you replace the bulbs with LED in stock lights then you'll need load resistors or the high beam indicator wont work on your dash.
also if you have driving lights triggered by your high beam switch they wont turn on either without load resistors

i tried the LED bulb replacement thing with load resistors but the heat generated by the resistors really worried me so just gave the stock lights (glass) a really good clean and put good quality globes (Phillips) in them and am happy. I do have LED driving lights as well for out in the open roads

Has anyone had experience with the aftermarket Halo LED headlights where the entire unit is replaced. I noticed the lenses are plastic and not glass which I don't like. But what about functionality and brightness? I'm looking at something similar to the these ones. View attachment 3501088
Or should I just get LED bulbs to replace the stock bulbs?
Thank you
The units that you have pictured and other similar ones are junk. Cheap as hell, very soft plastic (pits and yellows quickly) and terrible light output too.

Few LED bulbs will work well in the OEM assembly. A bit better light output but terrible ill defined pattern on the low beam. Which translate to lots of glare in everyone else's eyes. There ARE some newer LED bulbs out there which focus the light through a glass prisim/spike thingy and do a decent job of creating a point source for the light. These do give you an acceptable pattern on low beam.

The most cost effective approach for a bit of an upgrade to your lighting is good LED bulbs in the OEM housing. Just be aware that most LEDs really do not work well in old school reflector type headlights. If you want significant lighting improvements, you will need to turn to auxiliary lighting and or converion to modern projector technology

BTW, in my personal expereince with multiple '80s and LEDs and that of the Cruiser guys I associate with routinely... Beyond poor low beam pattern, there are no complication when installing LED bulbs. High beam indicator or otherwise.

Outside of really spendy options - Depo housings done right, or 9012/9011 HIR bulbs in stock housings for a cheap & mild bump in lighting, at least to hold you over until you figure out how you want to go about a true upgrade. Super well covered topic - just use google to search, as the forum doesn't work as well.

has anyone tried this ?

I went from led to best regular bulb because of the non-functional indicator. But this has me re-considering going back with the super powerful led's my jdm came with !

BTW, in my personal expereince with multiple '80s and LEDs and that of the Cruiser guys I associate with routinely... Beyond poor low beam pattern, there are no complication when installing LED bulbs. High beam indicator or otherwise.
same, i've used LED in my highs and lows for a few years now, never had issues.

I replaced mine with the auxbeam LEDs in both hi and low. No problems with the indicator here. They provide good light output without overpowering the factory housings. I drive a lot at night and don't get flashed by oncoming traffic.

I use 9011s in all 4 stock positions and IMO they're the best bang for the buck. The lows have very decent light output and reasonable cutoff. The highs are pretty bright and I also have a small pair of BD XL Pros which are fantastic for those dark 2 lane twisty roads.
I dislike the bug eye look of aftermarket housings, but again, that's my opinion.

I replaced mine with the auxbeam LEDs in both hi and low. No problems with the indicator here. They provide good light output without overpowering the factory housings. I drive a lot at night and don't get flashed by oncoming traffic.

I installed Auxbeams as well, they were much brighter. At first they were not clocked correctly, but after reclocking them, they work great. Here's info on making sure they are correctly clocked:
Tips about Your LED Headlights installation

I'm using the old F-S2 version (the style they sold in 2018 and no longer available) of these (no external ballast):
Auxbeam LEDs 9005 and 9006

I'd buy them again. The ones I bought do have a slightly noticeable fan noise, but the low bean cutoff is good. For the price and brightness. I'm happy with them.

has anyone tried this ?

I went from led to best regular bulb because of the non-functional indicator. But this has me re-considering going back with the super powerful led's my jdm came with !
I have leds on my 94 however they are depo headlights fitted with a h4 low beam and a h1 high beam. No problems with the high beam indicator

I installed Auxbeams as well, they were much brighter. At first they were not clocked correctly, but after reclocking them, they work great. Here's info on making sure they are correctly clocked:
Tips about Your LED Headlights installation

I'm using the old F-S2 version (the style they sold in 2018 and no longer available) of these (no external ballast):
Auxbeam LEDs 9005 and 9006

I'd buy them again. The ones I bought do have a slightly noticeable fan noise, but the low bean cutoff is good. For the price and brightness. I'm happy with them.
I have h4 and h1 bulbs in my depo housings. The adapter that was in the truck for the halogens had to be rewired as they were backwards for the diode on the the high beam but they work great.

Thinking about doing the mod that allows use of the high beam on the h4 bulb as it is not utilizes with the stock wiring config

I have h4 and h1 bulbs in my depo housings. The adapter that was in the truck for the halogens had to be rewired as they were backwards for the diode on the the high beam but they work great.

Thinking about doing the mod that allows use of the high beam on the h4 bulb as it is not utilizes with the stock wiring config
That's a great mod. I highly recommend it :cheers:

Do you just jump the positive from the high beam to the 3rd pin on the h4?
I had a Slee Harness installed and modified that. You can find the write-up here. Jumping the positive from the high beam may work but I am not sure about the load on that circuit. The Slee Harness utilizes relays which eliminates this concern.

Am I the only person throwing in the hella 9006p50 and hella 9005p50 bulbs in for a combined like $12 and calling it a day?

The units that you have pictured and other similar ones are junk. Cheap as hell, very soft plastic (pits and yellows quickly) and terrible light output too.

Few LED bulbs will work well in the OEM assembly. A bit better light output but terrible ill defined pattern on the low beam. Which translate to lots of glare in everyone else's eyes. There ARE some newer LED bulbs out there which focus the light through a glass prisim/spike thingy and do a decent job of creating a point source for the light. These do give you an acceptable pattern on low beam.

The most cost effective approach for a bit of an upgrade to your lighting is good LED bulbs in the OEM housing. Just be aware that most LEDs really do not work well in old school reflector type headlights. If you want significant lighting improvements, you will need to turn to auxiliary lighting and or converion to modern projector technology

modern LED's approximate the filament and have adjustable clocking to give you a factory pattern. Something like a Diode Dynamics SL1

The Old, non clocking, thick LED's are junk and shouldn't be used. they blind people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom