80 axle swap has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought my rear 80s rear axle from B&R auto wrecking for $400ish. I’m pretty sure there’s a B&R auto wrecking in Washington. They shipped mine up to a local B&R auto wrecking yard for free. Give them a call. You might score on one that has a factory rear locker. They didn’t have one at the time I was looking but I was planning on an ARB or Harrop locker anyhow.

How much did the front suspension job cost you? I thought the whole point of that kit was that is was a 4-6 hour job and didn’t require any R&D

How much did the front suspension job cost you? I thought the whole point of that kit was that is was a 4-6 hour job and didn’t require any R&D
I wish it was a 4-6 hour job. That's just the welding. There is a lot to it. Plus, since my buddy and I had never done it before, there was a lot of learning and gaps in the instructions. The kit was high quality, but I think there was a knowledge base that might have been taken for granted with the instructions. I think its a 2 week job and if you run into parts issues, it adds time. I was quoted $10k from Torfab with a several month wait. We probably spent close to that, not quite, but like i said, we had a learning curve. Biggest issues were grinding off unused brackets and figuring out what we needed in addition to the kit. The kits are not complete and you figure that out as you go. I think Peter could do it in much less time if he does another one, but it is not a cheap upgrade.

But it drives much better now, right? Tell us it was worth it at least :p
Much different drive. Don't feel like I am wondering all over the road. Steering is firm and tracks perfectly. Was it worth it? Don't ask my wife ;). Time will tell. I am retiring tomorrow and have kids in the Bay area and Reno, so plan on taking the back roads and driving a lot. I want a reliable, solid driving vehicle. It looks cool as s*** anyway, right? So, HELL YEAH it was worth it. But, ask me again after I've gotten my vaccine and can drive it.

Just the axle swap would be cheap and easy. I was thinking the whole deal. Maybe next year. You guys are good at spending my money! Lol

Rich you can come by the new place and check out my 80 rear. I have it set-up with leaf springs.

Including the Brake components It was probably $1000 total. That includes rebuilding the seals and bearings, some new brake parts, new MC and Booster.

Much different drive. Don't feel like I am wondering all over the road. Steering is firm and tracks perfectly. Was it worth it? Don't ask my wife ;). Time will tell. I am retiring tomorrow and have kids in the Bay area and Reno, so plan on taking the back roads and driving a lot. I want a reliable, solid driving vehicle. It looks cool as s*** anyway, right? So, HELL YEAH it was worth it. But, ask me again after I've gotten my vaccine and can drive it.

What’s the verdict on the swap? Have you had a chance to put some mileage on it?

Well underway on this myself. Will have factory locking front and rear axles in my 60.

What’s the verdict on the swap? Have you had a chance to put some mileage on it?

Well underway on this myself. Will have factory locking front and rear axles in my 60.
Yes!! Put 3000 miles on it over 16 days. Drives straight, no driver fatigue from over steering. About to do the rear myself, but not the full meal deal, going to stay with leafs and put in a locker.

Yes!! Put 3000 miles on it over 16 days. Drives straight, no driver fatigue from over steering. About to do the rear myself, but not the full meal deal, going to stay with leafs and put in a locker.

If your truck didn’t drive straight and required constant steering correction to the point of driver fatigue before you did the swap then you had issues, that’s not the 60 axle or leaf spring’s fault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom