80 axle swap has begun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I found the thread I was mentioning.
@NearJetties posted it last year in wheels that work

19A83191-61E3-49EB-8C7C-14E9C199576E.png

I reeeeallly need the coil conversion. Wish I had the skills to do it myself.

On the wheels, I’ve been rocking them for about a year and a half. Axles are 100% stock. No issues, no spacers. Since they’re 17” they clear the TRE

73AF51FB-3175-47BE-B458-A20AC965DD03.jpeg
86539957-6AB8-4126-8B87-ED62CAFACDBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Update!! The axle swap is complete and I drove her for the first time yesterday. Just a short shakedown drive to go through the four wheel drive and make sure everything works. Lots of lessons learned but I think it will be worth it. One thing I didn't realize was how much wider the 80 axle is than the 62 axle. Not a problem, just an observation.
Its not coming home yet because there is other work being done, but I GOT TO DRIVE IT!!!!:cool::bounce:

IMG_1465.jpg

What hub is that? I have my old 60 hub, and also a FTH019, not sure if either will fit. I won't really know until I try it.

My axle is a 93 with locker so may not be the same shaft length as yours though.

Last edited:
What hub is that? I have my old 60 hub, and also a FTH109, not sure if either will fit. I won't really know until I try it.

My axle is a 93 with locker so may not be the same shaft length as yours though.
Hi Mark,
I bought the manual hubs from Cruiser Outfitters. Can't remember the model, but the can tell you what you'll need.
Rich

I drove the Cruiser home today! Not sure if this is an axle swap thread or now more of a build thread, but after the suspension, I had Peter sort out a bunch of other stuff. LED headlights, fuel system, clean up wiring under the hood. Its still a 25 footer. I am going to use the first few weeks of retirement to install the interior and get that sorted. I have BMW seats, but my fat ass is too big for them, so looking at options. I want to have the front fenders and hood aligned and put in the new grill. Heck, maybe I'll start a build thread.
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg

Last edited:
One more thing, as you may have noticed, I did not do the rear axle 80 swap. So, my front axle width is wider than my rear. Any recommendations for spacers for the rear? I am thinking one inch. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Put an 80 axle in the rear.

This. It's easy, you get disc brakes and solves your width problems.

Regarding $10,000, the rear swap can be done with an 80 axle and just a bit of grunt work and welding. If you tried hard, it might cost $1500 to do, including the axle. I've personally, in my driveway, done 2 of these swaps and I'm not exactly the worlds finest fabricator.

Truck looks great though. Do you have a part number for those head lamps?

10 thousand? Fer what
Installation of the rear axle kit. Thats what I was told, not by the guy that did mine, but by another shop. The front axle was enough.

This. It's easy, you get disc brakes and solves your width problems.

Regarding $10,000, the rear swap can be done with an 80 axle and just a bit of grunt work and welding. If you tried hard, it might cost $1500 to do, including the axle. I've personally, in my driveway, done 2 of these swaps and I'm not exactly the worlds finest fabricator.

Truck looks great though. Do you have a part number for those head lamps?
Interesting about the rear discs. I'll have to research.
The round lights or the headlights? The Headlights are Starr lighting from High Performance Lighting. Highly recommend them. If you are talking about the round ones, I have to look.

Thanks for the head's up on the lighting. I will investigate as your set up looks slick.

Regarding the rear swap-Axles usually sell for $500 or so, you need to cut off all the brackets and then weld perches in at the appropriate spots. You will need an 80 series e-brake cable, and replace the rear brake shoes and hoses. You also need a new brake master cylinder. Advics BMT-090 works great. You will need to do minor hardline fabrication at the rear axle as well. But you could easily do this in a couple of weekends.

Remember you need a 93-97 rear axle with full float hubs. Not just any axle will do. Our local recycler had a whole shelf of them and let me pick the cleanest one. Likely the same up in Seattle.

I attached some photos so you can see how the width comes out. @Richfj60

26E997D2-BF2B-4090-A4BC-06BBA52FAB70.jpeg

3187FE39-F756-4825-80B0-B4C3E28448D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Installation of the rear axle kit. Thats what I was told, not by the guy that did mine, but by another shop. The front axle was enough.
Oh ok I was under the impression that you cpuld amd were doing the work yourself makes more sense if laborwas a factor.

Let me borrow $10k

So I take that as you spent 10k on the front end?

I'm not saying a full coil suspension in the rear. Keep your rear leaf springs, and put a fzj80 axle housing in sprung under. It'll be exactly the same height as it is now, but the correct width, with better brakes. Just like drew said.

Oh ok I was under the impression that you cpuld amd were doing the work yourself makes more sense if laborwas a factor.

But even if you payed someone, $10K sounds crazy. Maybe $3k ? Leaf springs are not rocket science!

So I take that as you spent 10k on the front end?

I'm not saying a full coil suspension in the rear. Keep your rear leaf springs, and put a fzj80 axle housing in sprung under. It'll be exactly the same height as it is now, but the correct width, with better brakes. Just like drew said.
No, less than $10k. I know the second one Peter could do for a lot less. I had to pay for some R&D. But yeah, spent some green.

But even if you payed someone, $10K sounds crazy. Maybe $3k ? Leaf springs are not rocket science!
Just the axle swap would be cheap and easy. I was thinking the whole deal. Maybe next year. You guys are good at spending my money! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom