Builds 78 body off restore (cruiser #2) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It does look like you had barely enough thread too on your lugs. That is how my front ones are.

All good, thanks for the insight.

Yeah, if I didn’t have all the threads of the bolt on the stud I would of switched them out for longer ones.

Yeah it’s certainly salvageable. I just decided I didn’t want to put in the work, or that I’d even have the skills to do so. I may keep it around as I would like to try to build a trailer out of it at some point (again, assuming I can build up my skillz).

So, what TUB did you end up going with?
Any issues with shipping?

So, what TUB did you end up going with?
Any issues with shipping?

Went with the 1/2 tub from Relik Garage. It is a South American tub. No issues at all with shipping.

I posted a bit about it above. Overall, I think it is well made and I'm happy. There will definitely be some fitment issues and a few other things I'll need to deal with (bolt holes for the hard top line up on one side with the panel, but no the other and a couple other things like that).

I test fit it on my frame today and lined up pretty well. The mounts at the very front of the 1/2 were a bit off, meaning one ended up with quite a large gap between the tub and the frame mount:
fullsizeoutput_76d0.jpeg

Everything else lined up pretty well.
iLMmPV%QSee5aD2sWZ8+Xw.jpg
iDsU2KULT3WsYMOrX10Y3Q.jpg
4P6ykOL3QV6UZUkgcJ7B8Q.jpg
GI7N5QqeS9+Oq%PJbmOs4Q.jpg

I'm a bit overwhelmed sometimes at the body work that needs to be done. I guess just chip away. But even little stuff like this. The tub came with holes and captive nuts for the spare tire carrier catch, but it is slightly off. I don’t even know how to fix that...I can’t just fill the hole and redrill, or I’ll redrill right through the old captive nut that is already welded in. Do I cut the whole section out and weld in a patch? That seems like overkill...

B25FF2B0-ED4B-4B45-8B8E-B97C8B03B598.jpeg

Can you remove the captive nut (do you have access on the back side?), redrill, and reweld the nut in the correct place?

Too bad you're not closer. I'd be interested in the old tub.

If you are in Portland, that’s pretty close. I’m sure we could work something out. I wasn’t completely sure if I wanted to sell, but if someone wants it, can work something out. PM me if interested.

Can you remove the captive nut (do you have access on the back side?), redrill, and reweld the nut in the correct place?

Yeah, I can try that. I do have access, but might be difficult to get something in there to cut with. I’ll go check it out later and see what my options are. I’ll probably wait to do it until I can test fit the whole carrier and make sure the latch is even in the the right spot.

Ah, the set backs. You are exactly right. Mount the carrier, see where it needs to be, keep your fingers crossed at least one of the holes lines up, and fix the other.

recall I just fixed the box section on my tub, and this has better access.

you’ll get it! Trust me, I share in your constant set backs and issues! But, it is what makes the little wins that much more meaningful.

Ok, trying to figure out how all this goes together. For the rocker attach to the floor panel, do I do some welds along both the underside, and also along the top of the floorboard? So basically, do I weld the panels in the pictures below? What is the best way to weld...should pinch weld (fake spot weld or plug weld)? Or just tack the panels at the edge? I hope that makes sense...

Underside:
7DBD0AC1-C020-4025-B30B-348D16A8CF53.jpeg

Topside:
6593CA1D-19BF-4AFF-B0A4-0314B625F657.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a bit of a break today on the body work to do some engine work, since I finally received some parts that I had been waiting on backorder from Toyota. I was waiting on the valve lifters, so was able to get them installed, along with rocker assembly. Then did the initial valve adjustment (will do again once the engine can run to temperature). With that, was able to install the push rod cover, and start bolting on some other components.

5o22sUuSQFyuFxMfgVF6CA.jpg
aDvDh9BOQ02pKH+5sfTwiQ.jpg
sXtytfgCQwGChyFi1bJrYg.jpg

Thanks.

My engine is a 3FE and the push rod cover has 10 bolts and 2 studs. The studs were never removed, so I didn’t have to worry about getting some.

Sorry, I know not helpful. Maybe find someone who is parting out a motor?

That black valve cover looks great!

I thought so too. I powder coated it gloss black. Plan to do the manifolds in that too. I dig the dark shiny look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom