70 series Primer? (school me) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm considering options for an expedition/overland vehicle to be used in North America and I'd like to know more about the 70 series - ones that are now or will be in the next couple of years able to be imported into the US. Not looking to do an engine swap or to restore an ancient rig (been there, doing that).

I would want something with a decent amount of power as lots of time will be spent on pavement/highways by necessity here in NA. Probably want a long wheelbase, probably 4 door and left hand drive would be best. (I understand that most models are available in LHD somewhere in the world so that's just a matter of sourcing). Manual transmission is my preferred choice - I'm old school like that.

Anyway, a practical overview of the options out there would be awesome.

Do you consider 2 front doors and 2 back doors to be a 4 door. If not this could be an interesting search. :)
Have you owned a diesel Cruiser?

Last edited:
As with most of the people on the planet I am referring to the side doors, not counting the rear cargo barn doors/hatch etc...
:cheers:
:lol:
Normally in the world of 70 Series when people mention LWD the first thing that comes to mind is the Troopy. (2 front doors / 2 cargo doors)

From what you are describing, the most obvious is a 77 series or a prado which is basically the same. Both are JDM only models so RHD is the only option. The 76 series is pretty much identical and was offered in other markets so a LHD is available but is not yet cleared for import into the US. I may know a fellow who has one for sale here, but its not cheap. Either way the engine option for all is a 1HZ, which by no means is quick nor well suited for NA highway driving, that's my opinion, others may think different. Unfortunately the 1HDT is only found in stock form in the 80 series that are importable. The 1HDFT and FTE are only in newer vehicles and really new if you want a 70 series. I swapped in an FT into my 77 and its been the best thing ever. You said you didn't want a project, but a project and 70 series ownership go hand in hand, at least if you want to own one in the US and use it for what you describe.

Well I guess that's why I need to be schooled - see, I'm learning something already! (thanks)

So... a troopy format - with 2 side doors would be ok for my plan but 4 side doors MIGHT be better. I do want to learn about what is available.

If you do not want a project car, you're barking up the wrong tree with 70s. Why not a 200 series? They meet all your criteria but with power and comfort.

@Loober Thanks, that's good info. I'm not afraid of the work of owning a Land Cruiser, I know there would be a lot to learn re: 70 series & diesels but when I say "project" I don't want to be doing a frame-off like I did with my 40 and like I'm on deck to do with my FJ45LV/2UZ restoration/restomod/swap.

Well I guess that's why I need to be schooled - see, I'm learning something already! (thanks)

So... a troopy format - with 2 side doors would be ok for my plan but 4 side doors MIGHT be better. I do want to learn about what is available.

Are you looking for sleeping space inside of the vehicle?

Are you looking for sleeping space inside of the vehicle?

Ideally yes, but NOT a requirement. In my fantasy expedition life I have an Alucab/Trakka conversion top! A hardshell RTT is the most likely end game.

And MAYBE the above-mentioned 45LV/2UZ will be my solution... BUT I'm considering bailing on that project if I can find a good/interesting solution in the 70 series world.

Ideally yes, but NOT a requirement. In my fantasy expedition life I have an Alucab/Trakka conversion top! A hardshell RTT is the most likely end game.
In my opinion (i.e. Others may disagree) the 77 Series only has adequate interior sleeping space if you remove the back seats.

I concur, don't plan on being able to sleep in the back of any 70 series unless its a troopy. Even with the back seats out, I still can't comfortably sleep in mine and im 6'2. They are not all that big, especially if you want the back seats useable, rear cargo space is minimal. But I think its the perfect size for diverse travel. Can fit in any alley/parking spot, long WB so that its stable on the freeway, good width for wheeling. You just have to be efficient and creative on your gear storage.

I'm 6' and like to have room to spare.
So... 77 then...!

That said if another truck would allow "in a pinch" sleeping inside I'd be open to that. I am prepared to be as minimal as possible in gear and creative in storage.

I've seen a few for sale lately, check out landcruiserdirect, he seems to get them often. Will be hard to find a manual, but they are out there. Swapping an H55 is not all that difficult either.

Thats the other alternative to the 77 I mentioned, definitely not as desirable, the 2LT engine has some negatives compared to the 1HZ, the vehicle as seen as light duty versus heavy duty of the 77. Main difference are the axles, 77 has full floating rear end similar to the 80 series, whereas that one is less stout and semi float. But if the price, options, condition is right would make for a great rig.

Thats the other alternative to the 77 I mentioned, definitely not as desirable, the 2LT engine has some negatives compared to the 1HZ, the vehicle as seen as light duty versus heavy duty of the 77. Main difference are the axles, 77 has full floating rear end similar to the 80 series, whereas that one is less stout and semi float. But if the price, options, condition is right would make for a great rig.

Not all 77s have full floating rears. If you are buying a 77 you definitely want that so make sure you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom