70 series Primer? (school me) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want to use it mostly as a daily driver I would recommend a lhd KZJ78, this has the peppy 1KZ 3.0 TD engine and coil sprung all around plus 4 doors. Not very common but they are out there, guys like Chris Spaulding that buy in Spain should be able to get you a decent example.

If the majority of the time will be spend camping/wheeling/traveling I would go for a HZJ75 Troopy, the 1HZ /H55 combo will run forever and plenty of room to load gear and still sleep in it.

Are the LHD ones from Europe called KZJ77? And they have the mechanical injection 1KZ-T as well I think?. That would be a really nice combo. My dream rig would be one of those but with a D4D 1KD-FTV swapped into it.....

As post #30 indicated, if you want a cram course in "all things 70 Series" join us in East Tennessee in late September.
:)

Are the LHD ones from Europe called KZJ77? And they have the mechanical injection 1KZ-T as well I think?. That would be a really nice combo. My dream rig would be one of those but with a D4D 1KD-FTV swapped into it.....

Not sure if they are 77 or 78 as those only came in the South of Europe not where I grew up. We did get the KZJ70 and the 73 and they both had the mecanical pump, the 1kz came also in the 4Runner there but with the efi

Joe

If you want to use it mostly as a daily driver I would recommend a lhd KZJ78, this has the peppy 1KZ 3.0 TD engine and coil sprung all around plus 4 doors. Not very common but they are out there, guys like Chris Spaulding that buy in Spain should be able to get you a decent example.

If the majority of the time will be spend camping/wheeling/traveling I would go for a HZJ75 Troopy, the 1HZ /H55 combo will run forever and plenty of room to load gear and still sleep in it.

If you could find a KZJ77 (e.g. a KZ-T not KZ-TE) then grab it!

Our KZJ78 is a daily, and camping rig. We have a removable platform system which we can sleep in etc. works great.

Personally, having owned 1KZTE powered Hiluxs and currently a 1KZTE KZJ78, the advice I would give is that the KZJ78 is a good platform, but there are a few things to be aware of:
-The ECU WILL (not might, will) need recapping. It runs the Auto and the engine. Long term you need to consider the viability of repairing it again.
-They need you to keep on top of cooling system maintenance
-Ditch the EGR. Also plan to remove the intake and manifold to clean all the baked on crap - you need several gaskets +time. Add catch can.
-Needs a trans cooler
-They have a great spot behind the first battery to add a second.

Parts are plentiful in NZ and australia. Consider whether you would want to deal with the shipping etc.

Personally, i'd wait for a good HZJ77, and budget for a lift - probably OME, to help handling. But this is because I want a long wheelbase cruiser that i can put an HD-T in!

The 77, as far as I know was only a Japanese market truck. It only came with a 1HZ/PZ. The 78, with is similar but not the same was avalible in other markets. I would not ever consider using a 1HZ/PZ to tow another car unless built up for that specifically. Read: turbo, uprated brakes, and sway control and trailer brake control. Be very cognizant of weights/balance when loading the trailer. That said, dolly towing may not be out of the question if the dolly had brakes as well. Saying the 70 is preferred in other countries isn’t a fair statement. This is American and we have trucks that tow. Other countries don’t get super duty pick ups.

As far as livability, you can sleep in the back if you build a low platform that is the height of the rear seat when folded in half. But, why? Ground tent or roof tent is a better option. But if you decide on a roof tent, that towing Part is effected. 70 are literally less aerodynamic than a cow.

One thing I said in conclusion. The 70 is so damn good at everything, and based on what you’re saying in previous posts I don’t think you would need to tow around a wheeling rig. An HZJ77 just completed the rubithon. May people here get nasty with their trucks off road. I’ve got a friend who’s sitting on a SOA with 38’s and his truck ticks along just fine on the highway. Even on 33’s these trucks will outperform most everything else in most every environment. The 70 is a quiver-killer if your the type to have multiple trucks to do multiple things and want to consolidate.

"consolidate" is certainly part of the plan. That said I'm not doing any wheeling like the Rubicon with a RTT. I know people do but the up top weight would make me very nervous when things get off camber (I'm an off camber weenie). I am hoping to go lean and mean with an expo vehicle. One that will wheel AND expo would be ideal.

If you want lean a lean capable truck, very few things can pace a 70 as a total package. I’m partial to the 77. Mines a PZ with a 5 speed. Daily driving it has no issues keeping up with an auto hz. Turbo’d it would be perfect. If you get a chance I really would come out to windrock. You’ll be able to see various configurations and see what works best for you. You may find that none of them fit the bill in which case you’d save a lot of money.

image.jpg

The 77, as far as I know was only a Japanese market truck. It only came with a 1HZ/PZ. The 78, with is similar but not the same was avalible in other markets. I would not ever consider using a 1HZ/PZ to tow another car unless built up for that specifically. Read: turbo, uprated brakes, and sway control and trailer brake control. Be very cognizant of weights/balance when loading the trailer. That said, dolly towing may not be out of the question if the dolly had brakes as well. Saying the 70 is preferred in other countries isn’t a fair statement. This is American and we have trucks that tow. Other countries don’t get super duty pick ups.

As far as livability, you can sleep in the back if you build a low platform that is the height of the rear seat when folded in half. But, why? Ground tent or roof tent is a better option. But if you decide on a roof tent, that towing Part is effected. 70 are literally less aerodynamic than a cow.

One thing I said in conclusion. The 70 is so damn good at everything, and based on what you’re saying in previous posts I don’t think you would need to tow around a wheeling rig. An HZJ77 just completed the rubithon. May people here get nasty with their trucks off road. I’ve got a friend who’s sitting on a SOA with 38’s and his truck ticks along just fine on the highway. Even on 33’s these trucks will outperform most everything else in most every environment. The 70 is a quiver-killer if your the type to have multiple trucks to do multiple things and want to consolidate.

The 77 also came as an LJ77 which is LHD. Not the same truck as an HZJ77 but still a 77.

Cheers

The 77, as far as I know was only a Japanese market truck. It only came with a 1HZ/PZ.

The HZJ77 and PZJ77 were Japan only. However, in other markets (Europe, Americas) there was an LJ77, RJ77 and KZJ77 (all available in LHD or RHD). As discussed, these models are all considered 'light duty', meaning they have small engines, are on coil springs and have semi-floating rear axles with 8" diffs. LJ77 has the 2LT engine, RJ77 has the 22RE, KZJ77 has the 1KZT. Other than the motors, they are still really tough however, and the coil suspension can do amazing things when setup right. The KZJ77 motor is really not bad. Like any IDI turbo diesel, just don't let it get too hot (same goes for 1PZ or 1HZ when turboed). 1KZT can make a ton of power with very little effort.

Last edited:
The HZJ77 and PZJ77 were Japan only. However, in other markets (Europe, Americas) there was an LJ77, RJ77 and KZJ77 (all available in LHD or RHD). As discussed, these models are all considered 'light duty', meaning they have small engines, are on coil springs and have semi-floating rear axles with 8" diffs. LJ77 has the 2LT engine, RJ77 has the 22RE, KZJ77 has the 1KZT. Other than the motors, they are still really tough however, and the coil suspension can do amazing things when setup right. The KZJ77 motor is really not bad. Like any IDI turbo diesel, just don't let it get too hot (same goes for 1PZ or 1HZ when turboed). 1KZT can make a ton of power with very little effort.

The 77 also came as an LJ77 which is LHD. Not the same truck as an HZJ77 but still a 77.

Cheers

while the nomenclature may be LJ/RJ/etc 77... for all intent and purpose they are 78's not 77's. I consider that nomenclature naming similar to the FJ Cruiser. If the FJC was congruent with the rest of cruiser nomenclature it would be GRJ9X or similar.... but instead its got some one-off model code despite that its built off a Prado frame and supposedly reminiscent of the 40 Series.

Notwithstanding, you both are correct and I am arguing a moot point. My previous post was wrong, I just wanted to provide my rational.

An HZJ77 just completed the rubithon. May people here get nasty with their trucks off road.

That was me in my HZJ77 that did Rubicon last week. I don't get crazy offroad as I have a wife and 3 yo that goes with us on the trips. The truck is still sprung under with 2" of lift on 35's and did as well or better than the 80 series I ran the trail with. Most of the HZJ77 being brought in are automatics but I found one with H55 and am pretty happy with it, just need to install the turbo to get a little more power out of it.

That was me in my HZJ77 that did Rubicon last week. I don't get crazy offroad as I have a wife and 3 yo that goes with us on the trips. The truck is still sprung under with 2" of lift on 35's and did as well or better than the 80 series I ran the trail with. Most of the HZJ77 being brought in are automatics but I found one with H55 and am pretty happy with it, just need to install the turbo to get a little more power out of it.

Hell yeah. Followed it on fb and IG awesome to see.

Wish I could make it to TENN for that... I might try!
You'll have an opportunity to see among others, the 75 Series (Ute & Troopy), the 77 Series (both PZ & HZ), and even a 79 Series Ute.
* Hoping to get our first LJ78 to show up also.

Last edited:
while the nomenclature may be LJ/RJ/etc 77... for all intent and purpose they are 78's not 77's. I consider that nomenclature naming similar to the FJ Cruiser. If the FJC was congruent with the rest of cruiser nomenclature it would be GRJ9X or similar.... but instead its got some one-off model code despite that its built off a Prado frame and supposedly reminiscent of the 40 Series.

Notwithstanding, you both are correct and I am arguing a moot point. My previous post was wrong, I just wanted to provide my rational.

By that way of thinking, 78 is really not right either, because that could be the heavy duty HZJ78 Troopy....

Anyhow....whatever.

early 78's where coil and the early 77's leafs. these turned into 76's at some point. Late model 78, 79 turned into troopies and utes (pickup)

Well, in some markets there is also an LJ79 which came with the normally aspirated 3L engine. LOL. I'm not sure Toyota really had a whole lot of logic in this....

By that way of thinking, 78 is really not right either, because that could be the heavy duty HZJ78 Troopy....

Anyhow....whatever.

Hello,

Back when the Light Duty LJ/KZJ7X were in production, Toyota used to designate a derivative (read: variation of the original design) engine by adding one to the base model number. This is why the base LJ77 had the 2L-T engine, while the LJ78 had the (infamous) 2L-TE and the LJ79 the 3L. Same thing for the KZJ77 with the 1KZ-T engine and the KZJ78 with the 1KZ-TE. The LJ70 started with the 2L, as did the KZJ70. The LJ71 had the 2L-T and the LJ72 came with a 3L (if I remember correctly) motor.

This practice was common to the Heavy Duty 70 Series, particularly in models with the B engines: BJ70/73 with the 3B, BJ71/74 with the 13B-T. However, it appears that Toyota dropped this habit sometime in the early 1990s for HD 70 Series, and stuck to fewer engine options. This would explain designations such as PZJ/HZJ77 and FZJ/HZJ75, for instance.

By the way, 77 comes after 75, and continues the sequence for wheelbase: short, medium, long, station wagon.

After 1999, apparently another change occurred. Models built after that year used the remaining available numbers: 71/74 for short- and mid-wheelbase and 76/78/79 for long wheelbase.

Juan

Hello,

Back when the Light Duty LJ/KZJ7X were in production, Toyota used to designate a derivative (read: variation of the original design) engine by adding one to the base model number. This is why the base LJ77 had the 2L-T engine, while the LJ78 had the (infamous) 2L-TE and the LJ79 the 3L. Same thing for the KZJ77 with the 1KZ-T engine and the KZJ78 with the 1KZ-TE. The LJ70 started with the 2L, as did the KZJ70. The LJ71 had the 2L-T and the LJ72 came with a 3L (if I remember correctly) motor.

This practice was common to the Heavy Duty 70 Series, particularly in models with the B engines: BJ70/73 with the 3B, BJ71/74 with the 13B-T. However, it appears that Toyota dropped this habit sometime in the early 1990s for HD 70 Series, and stuck to fewer engine options. This would explain designations such as PZJ/HZJ77 and FZJ/HZJ75, for instance.

By the way, 77 comes after 75, and continues the sequence for wheelbase: short, medium, long, station wagon.

After 1999, apparently another change occurred. Models built after that year used the remaining available numbers: 71/74 for short- and mid-wheelbase and 76/78/79 for long wheelbase.

Juan

That really clears things up; thank-you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom