60 Series Axle swap with the Trail Tailor Coil Conversion (61 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DINGO has a HF2A and quiet as can be in comparison. Stronger case all around IMO. If Georg ever finishes up his manual t-case lock conversion; this will be the only tcase I'll put behind a LS.

I have a standalone t-case actuator harness on mine as well. Simplifies the install/operation. Rocker switch controls it.

Jason
TT

Any chance I can pick your brain on this? Doesn’t have to be on here I can pm you or give you a shout. I can’t do this whining tcase long term. I’ve got a buddy with an 80 case wanting to try going to a split case behind his nv4500.

Are you able to shift it between 2wd and 4wd? I thought the shifter was just high low. I guess if I added it I would just need to run full time and wire a center lock switch?

I think the design of the AA adapter is wrong and either the spud shaft deflects too much or somethings not lined up. @Dubs2017 and I have found nothing but people with the exact same problem as me. Whining over 25mph accel/decel. Mine is really loud and also makes like a chattering noise. Mike Burroughs from stanceworks even posted here in 2017 with the same issue with his set up

I know on the nv4500 to hf2a it doesn’t use a spud shaft. I wonder if the 4l60 adapter does

Last edited:
Any chance I can pick your brain on this? Doesn’t have to be on here I can pm you or give you a shout. I can’t do this whining tcase long term. I’ve got a buddy with an 80 case wanting to try going to a split case behind his nv4500.

Are you able to shift it between 2wd and 4wd? I thought the shifter was just high low. I guess if I added it I would just need to run full time and wire a center lock switch?

I think the design of the AA adapter is wrong and either the spud shaft deflects too much or somethings not lined up. @Dubs2017 and I have found nothing but people with the exact same problem as me. Whining over 25mph accel/decel. Mine is really loud and also makes like a chattering noise. Mike Burroughs from stanceworks even posted here in 2017 with the same issue with his set up

I know on the nv4500 to hf2a it doesn’t use a spud shaft. I wonder if the 4l60 adapter does

Call me next week.

Here you go,

Jason

Call me next week.

Here you go,

Jason
Oh man. Perfect. I’ll give you a shout! Thank you!

So. Something I noticed. I pulled the marks adapter kit instructions and the advance adapters kit instructions. It looks like the marks kit comes with shims and also a shiny metal ring that the AA kit doesn’t come with. Also the AA instructions say to press the adapter bearing into the Tcase housing. The marks kit says to put it into the tcase side.

I’m thinking that advance adapters instructions are wrong. And also they aren’t supplying the full kit from marks.

IMG_7136.png

Last edited:
Yeah dude the bearing goes into the tcase not the adapter. The AA kit is missing a spud shaft spacer and a shim for the spud shaft. It’s also missing a spacer for the Toyota bearing on the end of the tcase input.

AA is literally ****ing us all over. Bad instructions and missing parts

I’m going to try calling marks to confirm before fully calling an AA failure but dude all signs are pointing that way

The adapters are machined differently. AA machined to remove the need for the spacer and shim.

Look at the 6/4 bolt adapter. AA has internal machining for the main adapter to recess into. Two different animals, I went through this a couple years back. A few I know in AUS have whine issues as well.

Jason
TT

1713140545410.jpeg

1713140567435.png

@TRAIL TAILOR

Ahhh yeah im literally on the phone with them at marks now. We looked at both the advance instructions and theirs and the spud shaft cut off length are the same so in theory flipping the bearing on the Advance adapters wont cause any spline problems on the spud shaft.

He was saying they provide a bunch of extra shims in his kit to get the preload and backlash into spec that advance doesnt include, and his trans mount bolt holes definitley line up unlike the AA kit. Theyre definitely different castings. I think i saw Cameron Mosley pressed his adapter bearing into his tcase side as well at some point before i did my swap. I wonder if flipping the bearing would help or hurt anything.

The guy on the phone from marks thinks that it sounds like my tcase is tryng to pull its self down off of the adapter under power.

The reason i started looking at all of this is because i was looking at 4l60e output shaft cut off lengths for the 80 series case adapter.

Unfortunately if i want to use that adapter and case, ill have to get a new transmission because the outputshaft from the 4l60 needs to be longer for the 80 adapter vs the 60 adaptaer

@TRAIL TAILOR

Ahhh yeah im literally on the phone with them at marks now. We looked at both the advance instructions and theirs and the spud shaft cut off length are the same so in theory flipping the bearing on the Advance adapters wont cause any spline problems on the spud shaft.

He was saying they provide a bunch of extra shims in his kit to get the preload and backlash into spec that advance doesnt include, and his trans mount bolt holes definitley line up unlike the AA kit. Theyre definitely different castings. I think i saw Cameron Mosley pressed his adapter bearing into his tcase side as well at some point before i did my swap. I wonder if flipping the bearing would help or hurt anything.

The guy on the phone from marks thinks that it sounds like my tcase is tryng to pull its self down off of the adapter under power.

The reason i started looking at all of this is because i was looking at 4l60e output shaft cut off lengths for the 80 series case adapter.

Unfortunately if i want to use that adapter and case, ill have to get a new transmission because the outputshaft from the 4l60 needs to be longer for the 80 adapter vs the 60 adaptaer
You can just buy a new 4L60 output shaft too.

I looked back, looks like Cameron got a Marks kit from AA. I guess they were selling Marks kit a long time ago. Looks like that rabbit hole is a dead end

HF2A is the way to go. I too had the dreaded split-case whine behind my 4L60 and AA adapter. I rebuilt the case and it was still there.

Finally went with a 6L80, Marks adapter and HF2A and it is silent. It has a part time kit and uses the center locking actuator for 4wd/2wd. Works really well. I would imagine it would be the same deal behind a 4L60.

HF2A is the way to go. I too had the dreaded split-case whine behind my 4L60 and AA adapter. I rebuilt the case and it was still there.

Finally went with a 6L80, Marks adapter and HF2A and it is silent. It has a part time kit and uses the center locking actuator for 4wd/2wd. Works really well. I would imagine it would be the same deal behind a 4L60.
I think way down the road the plan is to swap to a 4l75e. I guess HF2A is the move. The advance adapter kit just isn’t designed right the the 4l60 and split case. I talked to the marks off-road folks and their kit comes with shims to adjust valve lash and what not so it doesn’t whine.

So are you not running the spool in the hf2a?

I am running the Marks part time kit. It replaces the differential in the t-case with a spool so the frond drive shaft isn’t engaged anymore during normal driving (awd functionality is removed). With the spool in place, the center locking diff actuator will bring the truck in and out of 4wd. It’s a pretty slick setup and had been around for a long time now.

I am running Aisin hubs.

I am running the Marks part time kit. It replaces the differential in the t-case with a spool so the frond drive shaft isn’t engaged anymore during normal driving (awd functionality is removed). With the spool in place, the center locking diff actuator will bring the truck in and out of 4wd. It’s a pretty slick setup and had been around for a long time now.

I am running Aisin hubs.
Oh nice, yeah im thinking thats the move down the road when i swap to the 4l75 then. I guess til then Im going to swap back from the twin stick to the single shifter. Use the stock double rubber boot shift boot, and sound deaden the living daylights out of my trans tunnel.

Oh nice, yeah im thinking thats the move down the road when i swap to the 4l75 then. I guess til then Im going to swap back from the twin stick to the single shifter. Use the stock double rubber boot shift boot, and sound deaden the living daylights out of my trans tunnel.
Look up Down4soundshop they are an online car audio dealer look up their sound deadner.

Screenshot_20240416_110034_Gallery.jpg

Oh awesome! I saw amazon basics has a butyl sound deadener now thats got good reviews, but i needed to find the second foam layer from somewhere. Ill check this place out!
They have deadner and foam all in one basically 2 layers. In this 80 the whole inside is done with 120mil deadner then the 2 in one on top witch is another 120 mil plus 200mil foam in places there is 440 mill thick it's dead as ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom