5speed to a 40 crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't want to mess up the progress, Provision for ebrake? some of us are running either the Tcase Drum OEM style or the TSM Disk brake or some variation of. I personally would have no prob modifying the TSM to fit but some might not be skilled in cutting wheel and welder talk. It looks potentially tight to the rear output thus maybe blocking any ebrake from being used.

The tsm fits odd in the 40 so we moved and modified a couple things to get the cable where we liked it

IMG_8774.JPG

IMG_8776.JPG

IMG_8777.JPG

IMG_8903[1].JPG

Carry on! That picture with TSM ebrake facing down clears it up. Awesome solution.

Looks like that e-brake set up blocks the use of the speedometer cable output?? Any updates for this
Dave?

Looks like that e-brake set up blocks the use of the speedometer cable output?? Any updates for this
Dave?
I wasn't really looking at producing the disc bracket. That came with the ebrake kit. We just did some trimming and welding
so we could rotate it. I didn't like the lower positioning. If given a choice I would elect to use a rear axle with the ebrake incorporated

Gotcha! 👍

Are you still fabricating this support and skid plate?

I have the H55F and a split transfer case now

@lcwizard are these designed for the 2F or 3F (85-newer) style bellhousing with the 7 degree slope? Looks like transmission is angled a bit in pics

@cruisermatt i'd be happy to provide pics shortly of an install. SUPER beefy. It will be a 2f non angled bellhousing. but i would venture a guess it has enough adjustment to accomodate either bellhousing if ordered unwelded.

@cruisermatt i'd be happy to provide pics shortly of an install. SUPER beefy. It will be a 2f non angled bellhousing. but i would venture a guess it has enough adjustment to accomodate either bellhousing if ordered unwelded.
perfect. I prefer the 2F non-angled style.

@PhrogsPhorever can we get one of these pls

Doesn't look like it will clear the crossmember when the factory hand brake drum when mounted on the transfer case is used? I prefer hand brake on the rear axle but those seem to be rare and pricey, particularly wanting to stay the OEM width on the rear axle. Cost of a H55F conversion can add up quickly.

As for the 2F versus 3F bellhousing is there any advantage using the 3F in the 40 series? Personally would keep the 2F unless it's need for clearance on the top side.

Doesn't look like it will clear the crossmember when the factory hand brake drum when mounted on the transfer case is used? I prefer hand brake on the rear axle but those seem to be rare and pricey, particularly wanting to stay the OEM width on the rear axle. Cost of a H55F conversion can add up quickly.

As for the 2F versus 3F bellhousing is there any advantage using the 3F in the 40 series? Personally would keep the 2F unless it's need for clearance on the top side.

crossmember has to be moved or removed anyways if putting in a 3-speed truck... Doesn't seem like a big deal when you adding a new crossmember/skidplate that likely weighs as much as the entire bare 40 frame

I believe Dave makes a replacement wider torque tube crossmember as well that can be put back in farther back.

crossmember has to be moved or removed anyways if putting in a 3-speed truck... Doesn't seem like a big deal when you adding a new crossmember/skidplate that likely weighs as much as the entire bare 40 frame

I believe Dave makes a replacement wider torque tube crossmember as well that can be put back in farther back.

I was talking about Dave's weld together crossmember that does look like it has room for factory hand brake drum. I know Pose managed to squeeze a H55F with a hand brake on a 79 FJ40. Torque tube with a H55F, split transfer case and hand brake is tight on any FJ40 and on any 40 series post 1/79 when torque location was standard on all models.

2f went to 1987 in US fj60 and the clocked bellhousing started in mid 85 so to say "2f style" is a misnomer.

These are available in both clocked and unclocked versions.

2F bellhousing was replaced with the 3F 4/85 when the US got the H42 with the dummy spacer on the back. In general the 3F started 11/84 in most markets when they got a carburated 3F. US continued with the 2F until the start of 3FE in our FJ62. Can't help be thing it was for emissions reasons. But the 3F bellhousing started 4/85. This is why the 4/85-7/87 the H55F is a direct replacement for the long H42.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom