54mm socket for FW hub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cypher

# ./lock -diff
Threads
Cruiserheads...

I am getting ready to take on the job of replacing my front brake rotors and pads. I have been doing lots of research, reading, and list making. On the list is a 54mm socket to remove the outer lock nut on the hub. Since I don't carry around a 54mm socket in my wallet, or tool chest for that matter, I need to go out and pick one up.

I found this at Sears:
OTC Locknut Socket

Is this pretty much what I need? I mean it is 54mm and all, even mentions "Toyota" in the overview section. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with it or has a better suggestion. I am not down with striping a lock nut using some cheap ass socket with s***ty manufacturing tolerances... Know what I mean?

At least you are looking for and want to use the correct tool for the job.

I can't tell you how many front ends I go into and find the lock nuts buggered up because the previous tech did not have a 54mm socket and used a hammer and chisel to get the lock nut off, in most cases, destroying the lock nut. Real bad form.

2 1/8" socket also work and most every joint has those.

I can't tell you how many front ends I go into and find the lock nuts buggered up because the previous tech did not have a 54mm socket and used a hammer and chisel to get the lock nut off, in most cases, destroying the lock nut. Real bad form.

X2, I've encountered the buggered locknut as well, of course they re-used it.

Carefull on wall thickness, some thicker-walled sockets don't fit in there. My Craftsman worked well, as did a Chinese socket I borrowed from work.

Yea, that is what I am about! Getting it done the right way with the right tools. I find it unfortunate that anymore I feel like I have to do everything my self to ensure it was done right and not by a jackass with a jackasshammer (preferred tool of jackasses around the world!). Don't get me wrong there are mechanics and even dealerships out there that I trust (aka Camelback Toyota) and wouldn't hesitate taking my truck to, but nothing like saving a few bucks and learning something about your rig DIY-style.

X2, I've encountered the buggered locknut as well, of course they re-used it.

Carefull on wall thickness, some thicker-walled sockets don't fit in there. My Craftsman worked well, as did a Chinese socket I borrowed from work.

Thanks for the tip, that did cross my mind when looking at the pics of other 100 brake installs. Good to know that a Craftsman worked...

Order one from like Originator of Rock Crawling (since 1994) | Marlin Crawler, Inc. or one of the other vendors. Then you know it is right. I think Kurt might have them at Cruiser Outfitters too. It will probably be cheaper too.

Awesome! Thank for the links, I will check 'em out. It would be nice to buy from somewhere that sells a socket that is known to work. My exact point of posting this thread.

Thanks guys! :D:wrench:

Last edited:
I've got dozens on the shelf :D

THMB_hubsocket.jpg

Hub Socket - $19.50
A must have in the garage or on the trail. 1/2" drive hub socket is a mandatory tool while performing any work on the front axle.
(Fits 9/75'-97' FJ40/55/60/62/80 & 79'-85' Mini-Truck)
Part# FA15007

If your not looking to invest, I have one you are welcome to barrow or post up on the CSC forum, a bunch of members have them that maybe closer.

Any Snap-On truck will have these as well. I got mine for around $21 and it is made in the USA.

I purchased one from SOR and it was not very heavy duty. It is now in my trail tool bag.

The next one I purchased was from Toyota SPX Welcome to SPX Toyota. It was about $20 and looked similar to the you found. The toyota part number for the sst is 09607-60020-01.

We carry, in stock, the Toyota/OTC tool for the 54mm socket.

Awesome, thanks for posting up!

I've got dozens on the shelf :D

THMB_hubsocket.jpg

Hub Socket - $19.50
A must have in the garage or on the trail. 1/2" drive hub socket is a mandatory tool while performing any work on the front axle.
(Fits 9/75'-97' FJ40/55/60/62/80 & 79'-85' Mini-Truck)
Part# FA15007

Very cool, thanks Kurt!

If your not looking to invest, I have one you are welcome to barrow or post up on the CSC forum, a bunch of members have them that maybe closer.

I was actually thinking the same thing. That is, if I order my tool today, I am not sure it is going to be here in time to do the work this weekend. I really want to get the work done before Xmas and New Years since I know that I wont have time then. Thanks!

Any Snap-On truck will have these as well. I got mine for around $21 and it is made in the USA.

Ahh yea... Good 'ol snap on trucks!

I purchased one from SOR and it was not very heavy duty. It is now in my trail tool bag.

The next one I purchased was from Toyota SPX Welcome to SPX Toyota. It was about $20 and looked similar to the you found. The toyota part number for the sst is 09607-60020-01.

That is REALLY good to know! I do not want to buy something that isn't up to the task or that will "wear out" after a couple of uses.

Got me a 55mm socket for dirt cheap and shaped it with a lathe.
They didnt have a 54mm....

5570mn3.jpg

Even made another one....
55mm.jpg

BTW
45101704.jpg

These come very handy.

The cheapo thin walled sockets are close to useless if you need to put some pressure to seat a new bearing.

Hey! Back in the day, before 'Mud even, that's just how we did it. On the trail or in the driveway. That's why those lock-nuts have 6 corners and new lock-nuts come in a rebuild kit. You kids these days have it too easy...

Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc, Toyota SST = the same tool, made by OTC. SPX Corp = Kent Moore = OTC, divisions same company. Shop be price and availability.

Hey! Back in the day, before 'Mud even, that's just how we did it. On the trail or in the driveway. That's why those lock-nuts have 6 corners and new lock-nuts come in a rebuild kit. You kids these days have it too easy...

Just like popping the caps off those beer bottles with your teeth :flipoff2:...

I used the SOR 54mm socket on my job recently It looks cheap, but it does work just fine. I was able to get the correct bearing preload upon install. Plus they are having a holiday sale right now. Also, clean up the nuts that invariably will have been mucked up by some previous mechanic or owner. I think too many people see cold chisels as a solution for everything.

I got mine for 15 bucks at checker, it has worked great everytime

I saw the ones at Checkers and thought of grabbing it there. I ended up paying slightly more online due to shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom