4bt vs 6bt cummins swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you are just looking for extra power I think you should just buy a gt35r or supercharger for your stock engine it is less money and time and you will be happy.

if you are just looking for extra power I think you should just buy a gt35r or supercharger for your stock engine it is less money and time and you will be happy.

That's kind of what i was thinking. Plus, it all fits, still have parts that you just call Toyota for and most mechanics and fix it. I can only imagine that unless you are the mechanic and plan on fixing and troubleshooting, it would be a nightmare to try to have an outside mechanic help you when you have problems with a swap like this. :bang:

I have heard of a few local guys that have had a chance to ride in a 4bt 80 series here and they were not impressed at all.

Must be a stock 4bt, and yeah i wouldn't be impressed. But the 3fe or 1fz isn't impressive either. Diesel is more reliable, effiecient, and can run off of a plethora of fuels some of which you can make yourself. And if you think the 4bt isn't capable of BIG power, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxnfY-FjH5M

With a 4b or 6bt, is there an adapter to run the stock transfercase in the 80 series? Wouldn't the offset rear axle could pose a few problems?

Also, is the 6 any quieter than the 4 in the older 12 valves?

Thank you,

Adam

With a 4b or 6bt, is there an adapter to run the stock transfercase in the 80 series? Wouldn't the offset rear axle could pose a few problems?

Also, is the 6 any quieter than the 4 in the older 12 valves?

Thank you,

Adam
The sound, in terms of decibel readings, is probably close to being the same, but the harmonics of the engines are different. The 6bt is smoother due to the inline 6 design. The 4bt is a very "rattley" engine if that makes any sense at all. You would understand if you have ever been around them. They are used in industrial equipment including Case skidloaders if you have ever operated one. Lots of people get the engine out of bread trucks. I believe there is an Advanced Adapters adapter which runs the stock case. All you need should be engine (and mounts) and a tranny.

I love my 4BT. Is it loud? Hell yeah! And I like it!

In the 80, I have a 2001 reman put in by the PO with the 120hp injectors, upgraded to a 52mm wheel on the turbo (20+psi) and still have the JWAC aftercooler. I have the Bosch VE Rotary style pump which is a snap to tune, but I would prefer the in line pump though cuz they last a little longer. It's a friggin taaaallllllll motor and needs a 4" lift for the oil pan to clear the axle. The interior is soundproofed, and with the windows up, it's relatively quiet, the 35 Toyo MTs are louder at speed.:grinpimp: As a mechanical diesel, it is super easy to work on and any Cummins dealer can supply parts at a reasonable cost.

I may switch to the 150hp injectors eventually and switch to an intercooler, I just have to do a little research on how that will effect my EGTs.

It runs great, with the 700R4 overdrive I cruise at 65-70 on 35s at around 2k rpm. It cruises 70-80 easily but mileage suffers once you break the 2K threshold. It is by no means a fast truck, it accelerates like a snail and brings me back to my 3FE dayz. Get it offroad it is great, the low end torque is the tits. You can take your foot off the brake idle up hills or over stuff pretty easy.

Bottom line, if you can get past the noise, it's a great engine and with the RTT off and all the junk taken out of the back of my truck, I can get 20+ mpg on the highway if take it easy on the skinny pedal and I keep the rpms at 2k. Realistically, with my normal dumbassed driving, 17-19 is the norm.

As many threads have covered before, when you do any diesel swap, you do it because you want to, the coolness factor or get the diesel itch. You won't save any money changing it and it will never pay for it's self.

edit: here's a great forum for diesel swaps from one of our own, Dieselcruiserhead (I think)

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

Last edited:
i'm not saying diesel motors aren't cool, last a long time and can run on veggie juice, but saying that the 1fz if properly built and turbo'ed or SC is not up to the task is just wrong.

i'm not saying diesel motors aren't cool, last a long time and can run on veggie juice, but saying that the 1fz if properly built and turbo'ed or SC is not up to the task is just wrong.

What is the mileage on a supercharged 80?

One of the benefits of a diesel cruiser is the mileage off road, when idling down trails they seem to burn a lot less fuel.

As far as what trans and t-case, I am swapping in a NV4500 HD from a 97 ram, using the AA adapter to split case. My front hubs have already been converted to part time, although if you wanted apparently 60 series hubs will fit, or be made to fit. Although you will need different t-case flanges, they can be ordered through cruiser outfitters.

I"m not trying to be argumentative.... but i can't see the gas mileage on trails to be significantly different. I can easily be wrong!

I will get off my soapbox, but think that all the stuff is there, working, computer in place..... just add some forced induction, bore it out to a 4.6 and be done with it for another 200,000 miles.

I"m not trying to be argumentative.... but i can't see the gas mileage on trails to be significantly different. I can easily be wrong!

I will get off my soapbox, but think that all the stuff is there, working, computer in place..... just add some forced induction, bore it out to a 4.6 and be done with it for another 200,000 miles.

Im not trying to be argumentative either, sometimes there is alot lost in communication, when typing responses versus talking.

How to Save Money on Gas - wikiHow

"For instance, diesel engines use almost no fuel while idling. Diesel trucks will often be left idling all night to provide heat or power for the trucker inside the cab, at the cost of relatively little fuel."

Gas vs. Diesel Comparison Review Article - Truck Trend

compared to the port fuel-injection setup in gas engines where gas is mixed with incoming air in the intake manifold, the diesel system has little wasted or unburned fuel. Diesels also use about one third as much fuel at idle as gasoline units.

Obviously there are pros and cons to both, and this isnt the diesel section so i will try not to make it long winded.
:cheers:

The turbo or S/C option on the 93 and 94's I've heard/read is a bad match due to the old electronics. Poster is a 93 according to his screen name. So a complete standalone system is probably required to run forced induction. Cost goes up huge and so does tuning headaches. Might as well swap out to a diesel or V8 at that point:cheers:

Diesel...because if you payed attention in Chemistry class, you no longer have to be a slave to the pump.

I never believe that think or make the gas mileage and the economy out of a turbo diesel swap worth it .. actually if you do a diesel swap coz you love turbo diesels, love the sound and the way that it work that'a a reazon ..

other could be IMOP you need to pull a heavy trailer across the states .. maybe ..

but gas mileage .. never ..

I just spent the last four days wheeling with a group of 80's and 60's. One of the 60's had a 4BT and here are my thoughts:

- great machine for idling all day over obstacles. I don't think I heard that engine hit 1500 rpm all weekend while boulder bashing.
- you WILL be the tailgunner at every outing. The smoke and noise is noticeable and not appreciated by some.
- all of your action videos will have that famous 4BT engine sound in the back ground even if the vehicle is no where near the camera, causing you to watch the video in "mute" mode!!
- the fuel economy was awesome. I think he sloshed more fuel out than he actually burned in the engine! The filler neck needs to be sealed up, according to the owner.
- you will not be attacked my mosquitos if you're close to this vehicle out on the trail!!
- based on your elevation and how your engine is tuned, you may be tuning some more on the trail.
- if you design a "proper" type of passenger seating, chicks will dig the vibes all day long, lol!!

Cheers.

Diesel is the way to go.

Ok, here's the deal. The 4BTA weighs almost as much as the stock LC I6. It puts out around 130hp not great, but at around 300ftlb of torque (which is more than the LC motor puts out). These can be obtained easily at a Frito lay hub just talk to the shift manager and he'll point you in the right direction. What I recommend is that you buy the truck (less than $2000) pull the motor and other parts you might need, then sell the turbo 400 trans, and the one ton rear end, and scrap the truck for the metal. You should just about break even. Then roll that money back into low compression pistons, (16:1-18:1), head porting, bottom end balancing, P series in line pump, HX40 turbo, P.O.D injectors 4000 rpm governor, and so forth. Then you'll have a 306hp, 660+ftlb torque, 20 mpg motor that you can run for free. (veggie oil, used ATF, BIO) ;)

On the other hand, the 6BT is a beast. If you have to have more than 400hp, this is the way to go. It may be heavy weighing in at 1150 LBS! But when you consider the fact that your LC I6 weighs 750+ LBS, its not a huge change. One can be sourced from here: Cummins Diesel - The Engine Store CHEAP. If you do the same build as I described for the 4BTA with the exception of an HX50 or 55, (bigger motor, bigger turbo), both engines running the same ammount of boost, (45 PSI) the 6BT will put out a whopping 609hp, and well over a thousand foot pounds of torque. I know I left some parts out like intercoolers, water injection, ect, but I assume you already knew that. Now all that power sounds good I know, but be ready to spend a LOT of money on drivetrain parts. Out the door (doing the work yourself) $10K would be a steal, more like $12k.

My vote is for the 6BT. Your 80 came with an inline 6 and would like to stay that way:). It is a smoother powerhouse. Intercooler placement will require ingenuity but IMHO is worth it. Frame should handle the 6Bt in stock form. Recommended: 94-97 12 valve p7100 pump KDP tabbed.
I have the 6BT in my motor home, it's a huge very heavy engine does have plenty of power, i was stopped in Nevada on rt 80 doing 98mph with a 41,000 lb rv. trooper let me go without ticket. I think it's way too much engine for a small 4x4

I have the 6BT in my motor home, it's a huge very heavy engine does have plenty of power, i was stopped in Nevada on rt 80 doing 98mph with a 41,000 lb rv. trooper let me go without ticket. I think it's way too much engine for a small 4x4

You obviously have never driven a LC with one, I just finnished mine and I have owned it for 8 years and I fell in love with it again, best upgrade, , and the final thing to make it perfect

20170407_184533.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom