40th Anniversary Reconditioning Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought those exact Cree bulbs, they’re awesome!

I’ll PM some pics of my rig with the wheels so I’m not thread jacking, does the OP have an insta? Easier to share atm.

I also have the Pioneer 6200 double din with the GPS and backup camera, it’s also so worth the money. My buddy did the install flawlessly and everything about the system is great.

Eh what the hell

/e Also did the heated seats when we did new leather from Land Cruiser Heaven, well worth it!

CF516FCF-A953-4F00-ACA6-3D4459EC66AA.jpeg

01E2FB16-16E5-4D26-A35C-D3D475C39169.jpeg

8EF18AC5-DF46-42E5-B468-86110E5803F2.jpeg

WOW M1C4H! Your rig looks amazing. OK, I guess I am being swayed - exactly why I wanted to post this before I formally begin work on the 25th of February. I've definitely added heated seats and LED reverse bulbs to the plan of record. The leather you got looks amazing. We want to try to match the two-tone 40th leather as best we can.

Questions:

It looks like you removed the fender flares? Did you just fill those in during a repaint?
Are those the ‘18 TRD Pro wheels you mentioned earlier?
Interesting that you did not replace either bumper (I don't think). Did you repaint the bumpers?

Radio:

The ideas from many of you about replacing the radio has really led to some soul searching. I think you have convinced me to go with something like the Pioneer such as this version - is this close to what you have?

Pioneer AVHZ5150BT with CD and CarPlay

The challenging part will be all the fussing to get the speakers into those spots and reusing the grilles. I do wish there was some form of "kit" that included perfect fit speakers (or close) but hey then what fun would it be?

Thanks! Like anything she’s a work in progress. So I’m dying to get my hands on a set of pocket flares, but for now the holes are open. Had plans to repaint some OEM, have the gaskets and all, but the passenger fender doesn’t appear to be OEM so the holes aren’t the same and then those fell way low on the priority list.

Only had the truck a little over a year and my buddy Drew at True Roots Customs has rebuilt the engine, new lower remachined everything, Toyota everything to accompany it, rebuilt knuckles, new leather with the heated seats, wheels and nitto g2s, brakes, and this radio;
Pioneer AVIC8201NEX Flagship in-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with Capacitive Touchscreen Display, 7" Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC8201NEX Flagship in-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with Capacitive Touchscreen Display, 7": Cell Phones & Accessories

Always a work in progress, newest work? An annoying ‘stuck brake’ sound on the passenger.... wtf

And the bumpers +/- trim pieces and all accents were scheduled to be painted, then we blew the engine. So they got plastidipped

Engine bay room consumption is pretty minor. The ballasts are about the size of a pack of cigarettes and there will be two relays as part of the harness. I’d say it’s a solid 2-3 banana job considering opening up the depos + electrical, but worth the effort if you do some reading first and take your time.

Stereo: Pioneer double din with wireless carplay, slim CDT 6.5” coax front and rear (I may eventually replace the fronts with something better).. the key with speakers IMO is to stay under 2.5” deep, ideally more like 2 5/16”. I couldn’t go with anything deeper and get the front doors to close. You will need to buy or fab spacers to clear the window run, and you’ll need to trim sheetmetal on the rear doors. Kind of a PITA for what is a simple job on most cars. I put a 5 channel Alpine amp under the driver’s seat and a 10” subwoofer in the back, which will eventually be put in either a fiberglass enclosure in the passenger rear compartment or worked into custom drawers.

Because moar pics - cool fog this morning:

cruiser_feb19.jpg
CLIMR - The fog shot is amazing. This build is what I'm going for in many ways. Can I ask a few questions;

1. Which front bumper exactly did you use? And which winch?

2. Which roof rack is that?

3. Where did you get your HID's - were they custom built to an exacting spec from you or somehow "off the shelf"?

4. This is a big noob question but, I definitely like the T O Y O T A grill in place of the bean in a hat emblem. Is it the case that a 1995 grill and TOYOTA fits exactly into place in a 1997? Looks like you changed that more recently - some photos show the logo some show TOYOTA. Either way your rig is fantastic.

5. What radio did you put in?

6. What wheels did you use? Are those TRDs?

I have been looking into this company:
Safety Restore in Westfield, Mass

I used this company for my 80 seatbelts. The webbing was very tattered and they didn't retract very well. They did a very good job and matched the original color quite well. I only sent out the two front sets and you can't really tell them from the rears.

1. It's an ARB deluxe with Warn M8000S winch, the day running lights in the bumper were bought on ebay from a seller in Austrailia

2. Prinsu

3. I bought them from theretrofitsource.com, all off the shelf parts. Here is what I bought:

• Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III kit (35w) with E46-R shrouds, 4500K bulbs (not a fan of bluish HIDs) and 9005/9006 wire harness.
  • 2 9006 extension cords
  • 2 9005 high beam splitters
That should all run you are $350 bucks. I think some guys have run the 55w HIDs, but I was told that 55w could potentially melt the Depo housing, so I went with the safe route. The 35w are still brighter and better than what's on my wife's 2018 Volvo with the latest greatest OEM lights. I put new 55w H1 bulbs in the highs. The HIDs have a "shutter" that opens when you flip on your highs (hence why you need the high beam splitters above), so when you put on the highs you have a MASSIVE amount of light output. It's amazing.

4. Yes, you can put in an older grill pretty easily. It requires dremeling just a bit and drilling one new hole, but no more than an hour job.

5. Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. It's been mostly good, the wireless carplay doesn't always connect (maybe 90% of the time it does). Pioneer is pretty good about firmware updates so this may get fixed over time (or it could be my old iPhone). there is an Alpine version out too with wireless carplay, but it does not have a cd/dvd player and in my experience Alpine is NOT good about firmware updates, so I didn't want to buy their first model with wireless carplay. I also like how you can customize the splash screen on the Alpines so say "Land Cruiser" or whatever.

6. They are stock wheels, powdercoated dark gray

UPDATE: I finally have some news to report. I took the truck in and spent about four hours going over everything on my list with the team that will be doing the work. It was pretty amazing to be in a roughly 7 bay garage with nothing but LandCruisers and then about 25 in the parking lot, all in various states of renovation. There were two other 40th anniversary trucks there as well.

After we went through my list, they did an inspection the next day and sent me a chart, which I am posting here so you can see what they found. Figured it would be of interest. Not much of it was unexpected.

WHEELS.

Keep the originals. I do plan to have the wheels and center caps prepped and powder coated. One challenge is that the 40th edition have two tone wheels - the inside parts of the rim are dark gray and the outside is lighter gray. Just have to find a paint shop willing to do the careful masking I guess. There was a guy who had sent his truck up from Florida to Washington State - a collectors edition - who had replaced his wheels with new ones and I am going to reach out to him to see if he would sell me his wheels which were in great shape and a perfect match.

New wheels. I am also super interested in replacing the wheels. I found this photo on ICON's website and they only refer to them as "rare Australian wheels." Does anyone recognize this wheel brand/maker?

I also have been working to put together an estimate of the work and this is a cut and paste version of the first draft work order, which will evolve next week before work begins:

Parts
Toyota red coolant

Parts
PHH kit, silicone hose with two constant torque clamps

Labor
Flushing out mixed coolant, installation of new PHH and back feeding in Toyota red coolant.

Parts
OEM Toyota oil pump cover

Parts
OEM Toyota front crank seal

Labor
Installation of oil pump cover and front crank seal

Parts
OEM Toyota rear main seal

Labor
Installation of rear main seal.

Parts
Military style battery terminals

Labor
Installation of battery terminals.

Parts
OEM Toyota distributor O-ring

Labor
Installation of distributor O-ring. Setting timing

Parts
OEM Toyota intake hose

Labor
Installation of intake hose

Parts
Speedometer O-ring and seal

Labor
Sealing of the speedometer housing

Parts
OEM Toyota valve cover ventilation hoses

Labor
Installation of ventilation hoses

Parts
YZZD3 oil filter

Parts
5w-30 synthetic blend oil

Labor
Oil change with new filter. Inspection of oil plug and new gasket

Parts
Knuckle rebuild kit with wheel bearings

Knuckle Rebuild
Tear axle down to bare housing, cleaned knuckles, spindle, backing plate, hub housing, hub, brake rotors, installed new knuckle bearings, knuckle wiper seals, inner axle seals, hub seals, wheel seals, all gaskets, greased all bearings, cleaned and grease birfields, pack knuckles with grease, re- install knuckles. Inspect brake calipers, inspect or replace brake rotors, pads, etc

Parts
OEM Toyota front sway bar bushings frame side

Labor
Installation of front sway bar bushings

Labor
Cleaning and sealing of the rain gutters

Parts
ARB 80 series bull bar

Parts
ComeUp Seal Gen 2 steel cable winch

Shipping
Shipping of winch

Labor
Installation of bumper with winch

Parts
4x4labs rear bumper (depends on options) Customer supplied is best

Labor
Installation of rear bumper with swingouts

Parts
OEM Toyota seat heater switches

Parts
Dorman seat heaters for both front seats

Labor
Installation of seat heaters and factory switches into center console

Parts
USB ports for the switch blanks (still need to keep looking for flatter switches)

Labor
Installation of USB ports

Parts
ARB flat rack for 80 series (Steel rack)

Parts
ARB fitting kit for rack

Labor
Installation of roof rack

Parts
OEM Toyota battery tray with tie downs

Parts
Interstate group 27 MTP27 battery

Parts
Wiring supplies, battery cables, connectors, heat shrink

Parts
200 amp solenoid

Labor
Installation of dual battery system and stock tray.

Parts
OEM Toyota front window runs

Parts
OEM Toyota rear window runs

Labor
Installation of window runs

Parts
OEM Toyota dash lights for gauge cluster, HVAC controls, and stereo

Labor
Replacement of burnt out bulbs in the entire dash and center console

Labor
Diagnose and fix rear wiper

Labor
Zip tie fix for the side view mirrors

Parts
ARB Old Man Emu stock height suspension system

Labor
Installation of suspension system

Services
Sandblasting and powder coating of wheels

Finally, as another update here, I was a bit surprised that the place helping with the work has pushed to do the paint last instead of first. Given that they have a very busy shop, I guess I can appreciate the desire not to let anything happen to the paint while they deal with everything else. But in my own experience, for something like this, you strip it down first and paint, then put it back together. There's no way around it for me in this case, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Any further updates?

What shop are you using to do the work? Any updates on if you were able to make the 40th anniversary black pearl and sticker to go with it? I just acquired a 40th anniversary and one side is missing the 40th black pearl emblem and "th Anniversary" sticker. I'm in Edmonds. Thanks much!

What shop are you using to do the work? Any updates on if you were able to make the 40th anniversary black pearl and sticker to go with it? I just acquired a 40th anniversary and one side is missing the 40th black pearl emblem and "th Anniversary" sticker. I'm in Edmonds. Thanks much!

You won't find anything beyond this from what I have seen searching around - Misc Vehicles

Luckily, I have a full set of emblems and floor mats new in the box purchased about 15 years ago.

how did you get the front "Toyota" grille without any spaces on the top of either side? i thought a factory "Toyota" grille was too narrow and would leave small spaces.....i really want that grille on my rig

1583376012480.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom