40 series 5 speed. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take my money.

I'm definitely in!

Interesting!

I will have an H55F in my 40. My FJ62 would be no fun without it. The 40 will drive the highway at 80mph+ just like the 62 and those who say that is crazy are weenies.

This mean I can put a 5spd in my 1976 FJ40? If so I'm in.

I believe on the 1976 models the trans cover is still going to need modified (taller), change to a split xfer case (w/ a parking brake?), add a transmission mount, longer xfer case linkages, torque tube relocation, etc. Much less is required on “the younger FJ40s”. Makes it a drop in for them. Love to be wrong tho....

@hobbes another option instead of the split case parking brake is to update your rear axle for newer brake drum/integrated parking brake:

DBF0E431-BC42-40CE-909D-4386AAD2F049.jpeg

As requested @ERNRAM :

FJCO Rear Axle Housing Adaptor

No technical support provided. So, know what you’re getting into. Pricey after you get all the bits required.

Last edited:
@hobbes another option instead of the split case parking brake is to update your rear axle for newer brake drum/integrated parking brake:

View attachment 2406323

As requested @ERNRAM :

FJCO Rear Axle Housing Adaptor

The 8/80+ either had a hand brake or could be modified fairly easy. Everything in the Australian market would be a full floating rear axle. 60 series spring perches could be relocated. 70 series could work as well. If the hand brake moved away from the transfer case the torque tube behind the transfer case should clear 9/72+ frames. Transmission hump and floor might need some modifications. But know it's been done. The only 40 series that would be a direct bolt in with parts is 10/82+. But seen the H55F added earlier 1960s 40.series.

I’m in process of switching to 4 speed from 3 speed but may bypass and just get the 5 speed if this top is made.

Yeah, my only point was this part doesn’t make the H55 a drop-in for the earlier NA tubs.

You can ALWAYS put a five speed into a 40. All this top cover does is move the shift tower 3” forward into the correct orientation to fit through the factory floor mat hole! There is always going to be fabrication work unless it is the very latest models of 40, as stated above.

However, to make it correct and complete, this is among the pinkest and rarest of all unicorn parts. I’m already in line for mine.

Last edited:
True, no debate about that. Thought I’d post an alternative solution to the the commonly discussed parking brake setup. There’s a number of modifications that will need to be made to complete the install.

Some people are okay with one way while others may want to go another route.

Yeah, my only point was this part doesn’t make the H55 a drop-in for the earlier NA tubs.

Requiring mods on earlier years has nothing to do with being a NA import. Any 40 series made before 10/82 would require some level of modification. Early you go the more mods required no matter what market. If the FJ40 changed wheel base over the years that could probably make a difference if earlier was shorter. But it wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom