40 series 5 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nogo

SILVER Star
Threads
A working reproduction.

40 series selector housing 005.JPG

40 series selector housing 004.JPG

40 series selector housing 003.JPG

40 series selector housing 002.JPG

40 series selector housing 001.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice!!! Details!! I want one.

It looks nice! I don't need one but I enjoy watching this community develop a fix for a need.

It looks nice! I don't need one but I enjoy watching this community develop a fix for a need.

Just hope the small niche will be large enough to warrant actually going into production.

I think you'd have a better chance pouring your collective resources into getting Toyota to sell the original molds/tooling before trying to make one from scratch. ...and there's essentially zero % chance of that. lol.

:hmm: well it's been done. Now the big question, will there be enough people wanting one? If not doubt anyone will ever attempt it again. I do know the mold was made from a original 40 series top. The two internal pieces that are different then the 60/70 series were machined using the original two pieces as a pattern. While the bolt holding the two pieces together is available from Toyota the special lock washer is not. That he sourced out of Europe. Some uses the parts off their new top cover then everything will be new.

Just hope the small niche will be large enough to warrant actually going into production.

:hmm: well it's been done. Now the big question, will there be enough people wanting one? If not doubt anyone will ever attempt it again. I do know the mold was made from a original 40 series top. The two internal pieces that are different then the 60/70 series were machined using the original two pieces as a pattern. While the bolt holding the two pieces together is available from Toyota the special lock washer is not. That he sourced out of Europe. Some uses the parts off their new top cover then everything will be new.

So, what I'm really hearing you say is that I just needed to poo-poo the topic after however many years of day dreaming and, bang, a topcover prototype magically appears. So, really you have me to thank for this. ;)

So, what I'm really hearing you say is that I just needed to poo-poo the topic after however many years of day dreaming and, bang, a topcover prototype magically appears. So, really you have me to thank for this.

No magic involved here my friend, only hundreds of hours work and thousands of my dollars!........Couldn't see the point of talking it up then not coming through.

The two internal pieces that are different then the 60/70 series were machined using the original two pieces as a pattern. While the bolt holding the two pieces together is available from Toyota the special lock washer is not.

The custom made selector parts as mentioned above, Toyota refer to them as 'shift and select lever' and 'shift and select lever shaft'.
Only 40 series 5 speeds had these parts.
selector 002.JPG

selector 001.JPG
selector 003.JPG

Last edited:
Can the output shaft be splined to fit earlier transfer cases?

Isn't this also a good discussion for the 60-Series Forum?

There’s no provision for a 5th gear oiler on a single piece case. Besides, why would you want to use an earlier case? Parking brake?

There’s no shortage of 60/70 series top covers out there

Last edited:
Can the output shaft be splined to fit earlier transfer cases?

Isn't this also a good discussion for the 60-Series Forum?

I can see no advantage of running a one piece case for what it would cost. If I had a Orion would sell and move to a split case. As for hand brake that can be covered by adding one to the split case. Those can be sourced. Or switch to a rear axle that set of for a hand brake. Aftermarket option and line lock are also available.

I see no reason for this in any other series forum. This cover addresses moving the shift cane to the correct 40 series position. 60 and 70 series the covers on new H55Fs is already in the correct location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom