40 series 5 speed. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Apologies for butting in on your thread. Love your enthusiasm and the amount of time and effort you have put in. Will you be manufacturing the correct top plate too?

I recently upgraded my 40 series and added a H55f gearbox. I was told by Jonathan Ward of (ICON4X4) to source the correct top plate. The plate that came with the H55f pushed the gear stick further back. With great effort and a lot of searching, I managed to find the correct top plate. This is my finished H55f gearbox before we installed it in the vehicle. There were a few modifications necessary with some of the components which needed mods when the engine was mated with the gearbox.

2019-06-18 110622-1620643.JPG

Apologies for butting in on your thread. Love your enthusiasm and the amount of time and effort you have put in. Will you be manufacturing the correct top plate too?

I recently upgraded my 40 series and added a H55f gearbox. I was told by Jonathan Ward of (ICON4X4) to source the correct top plate. The plate that came with the H55f pushed the gear stick further back. With great effort and a lot of searching, I managed to find the correct top plate. This is my finished H55f gearbox before we installed it in the vehicle. There were a few modifications necessary with some of the components which needed mods when the engine was mated with the gearbox.

View attachment 2119717

Have you been paying attention to this thread at all? That’s exactly what he’s trying to manufacture.

Were you able to get that vacuum-shift transfer case between the frame rails of a 40 series?

Any idea of rough timeframe?

Thanks for your interest!..... I'm in the process of making a few mods to the prototype at the moment then its onto in vehicle testing.
40 series enthusiasts have waited years for something like this project, I'm sure those that are genuinely interested won't mind waiting a little longer!......As of three weeks ago there wasn't a viable option.

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest!..... I'm in the process of making a few mods to the prototype at the moment then its onto in vehicle testing.
40 series enthusiasts have waited years for something like this project, I'm sure those that are genuinely interested won't mind waiting a little longer!......As of three weeks ago there wasn't a viable option.
Your doing a great job. Im in Australia and I think you will get a lot of interest over here. There is a 40 series fb group over here that is used by many. Thats were I heard what you were doing and a link to ihmud.
Again great work!

As @Living in the Past noted above (Post #20), the split transfer case can be easily fitted with an OEM drum parking brake. For my '71 FJ40 I ended up buying an entire split transfer case here on MUD (from a BJ45) that came from Toyota with a parking brake. Georg @orangefj45 should have the parking brake conversion parts in stock.

in my '72 FJ40, I got a 60-series rear axle that has the integral parking brake, and when the H55 went in, I wanted to re-use the handbrake in the dash - so Kevin (Tools R Us - RIP :frown:) fabricated a custom pull-and-lever system to go all the way to the rear axle

The bezel is upside down 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom