4.11 and an H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4sp and 31’s with the 3.70 works fine. But I could imagine the 4.11 and a 5 speed would be a great combo. That extra gear makes a big difference.

If they don't make a true 33x10.5 when I wear these current ones out, I'll go with a 16" 70 series wheel and find an equivalent in a Yokohama G003 MT. Far more control over sizing in 16".

Similar setup...

I have a BJ74, H55F, 4.11's, OEM 70 series 16" rims and just got Yokohama G003 255/85r16 and really like these tires. They measure out on the cruiser at 32 5/8" granted I have a 13BT diesel so less rpm range, but my rpm's are 2350~2400 at 65mph. So far I like these tires WAY more than any BFG's I've had.

I had BFG all terrains, 235/85r16's half worn down and they were 30.5" tall. :rolleyes:

I think the 255's are an excellent all around size for cruisers.

Currently running 33/4.11 combo on both the 40 and 60. As @Cruiserdrew says, it is a great sweet spot for on/off road combo. But like @Code Red, off road I would like to be lower, so my final drivetrain will include t-case gears (non- underdrive).

Its happening... I've already decided that! Its why I jumped on this thread to figure out how bad I need 4.11s vs 3.7s.

I’ve done a lot with the 3.70 and I like the way it drives, but for where I live the 4.11 gears would be wasted most of the time.

3.70 and 3:1 t case gears where be were I am this time next year.

Currently running 33/4.11 combo on both the 40 and 60. As @Cruiserdrew says, it is a great sweet spot for on/off road combo. But like @Code Red, off road I would like to be lower, so my final drivetrain will include t-case gears (non- underdrive).

I didn't know there was a non-underdrive set available. Who makes these wonderful t-case gears?

I didn't know there was a non-underdrive set available. Who makes these wonderful t-case gears?

Get with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He talked me through a lot of this, but be warned. Is almost certainly going to ask you to find a 38mm t case core if you want to do the upgraded gears.

In my '62 I ran 4.56 with a metric (true) 32" tire with my 2FE and a440 and then swapped in the h55f. This was effectively stock final drive ratio (speedo read dead on). The only thing I missed was the deeper overdrive in the a440 for the highway.

What I like about the 4.11 and h55F is you dont need to use 1st to take off at the lights. Its still useful on really steep hills or in car parks ect, but you rarely use it.

We would love to help!

Read all about our high range Overdrive & Underdrive options as well as Low Range gears here:

We have all variants in stock, t-case kits in stock and ready to ship as soon as today. We also offer full R&R on cases you send and soon our core cases :cool:

Get with Georg at Valley Hybrids. He talked me through a lot of this, but be warned. Is almost certainly going to ask you to find a 38mm t case core if you want to do the upgraded gears.
Any more thoughts on this 34mm vs 38mm tcase for upgraded gearing? Both gearing versions are available. My 84 has 34mm idler, so the upgrade COULD be pretty much plug and play, unless the 38mm idler is the right move. That solution, of course, would be another visit down the rabbit hole compared to just doing the 34mm gears. What are the concerns?

My 60 is set up with 4.11s, H55F, and 33s. It'll run 65 - 70 @ 2500 +/- and if the highway is flat deliver about 14 mpg. Around town pulling from a stop in 1st often need to shift before crossing the intersection. If the road is level or with a slight decline I'll start in 2nd.

I think that 4.11s, H55F, 33s (or 255/85/16) is the best combination and I would not go back to 3.7s.

I periodically get into steep, rocky stuff and 1st gear, low range with the 4.11s feels right.

this. yes. also... I wanna say looked for two front used diffs from a 62. (?)

@HemiAlex check out 285/75R17’s. It’s a step up in wheel size to 17”. The E rated BFG KO2’s measure 33” on my rig loaded.

I will say the FJC steelies I’m running and extra tire weight is substantially different in off the line performance.

4.11’s went in at the same time of the larger wheel set-up so they felt better but not 31”/3.70’s spry.

When I get the h55 in my rig, I think it will make it just right.

Also chiming in on the 17" upgrade...with pics. made a big difference when the e-rted and slightly smaller sidewall. less rolly-feeling with the tent up there.
Outlawspic2017 029.jpg
Outlawspic2017 035.jpg
Outlawspic2017 033.jpg

My 1986 fj62 came with the carburated 3F , the H55F and 4.10's from the factory. When I bought it last year it came with 32'' tires. It was a dog on uphill's of the Andes. Replaced it with 4.56 and is great now on the hills.

Last edited:
I have 4.56 differential gears with H55F and 33" BFG ATs. For my type of driving (mostly on road) I think the gearing is a little too low. I drove it for a little bit with the 3.73s after the transmission and tire size upgrade and this was too high. So I think the 4.11s would be just about right.

Sorry for hijacking.. I run 33x12.5 r15

Will the 4.11 work as good?? I live in flat sunny Florida but eventually making it to hilly geaorgia and Tennessee (overlanding)..

With the 3FE and H55F swap

Sorry for hijacking.. I run 33x12.5 r15

Will the 4.11 work as good?? I live in flat sunny Florida but eventually making it to hilly geaorgia and Tennessee (overlanding)..

With the 3FE and H55F swap

I have install 10% OD high range gears in few FJ62’s I H55f convert. It’s perfect, IMO 4.11 and 33’ is a bit too deep with the 3FE and southeast freeway speeds.

What gears would u recommend??

Leave the stock 4.11’s in the axles and put 10% OD gears in the T-case when it gets rebuilt on the H55f.

Essentially this is like having 3.70’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom