3FE Owners Check-In (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trailbus said:
’91 bought in 93 (for book value $$$)

3FE Specific:
Throttle body bored 3mm over by RC Engineering (http://www.rceng.com/ ) Need to optimize Air Flow sensor to get the most out of it
Jacobs Off Road ignition (waste of money/too lazy to remove)
Dual Batts ( https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=889156#post889156 )
Delco 100 amp Alternator (custom bracket)Alt from any 94/95 GM truck fits and is easily upgradeable to <200 Amp
2.5” exhaust w/magnaflow
Heavier gage wiring for fuel ignition relay

Mods:
Newfield Birfs--replaced again (clicking) less than a year after install- www.cvunlimited.com/ hooked me up for free
ARB Bull Bar w/ 9000#T-Max
Local “master fabricator” (Vorfab) made sliders
2” front coil spacers (between bump-stop/spring and frame mount) also made by Vorfab
OME850 Heavy front & OME 860 Medium rear springs (w/1 trim packer ea)
OME firm shocks front & rear
Slee extended brake lines
315/75/16 BFG/ATs

Future Mods:
’94 rear FF/Disc Brake axle and an ARB locked FJ60 3rd member waiting to be installed.
4.56 gears on hand waiting to be installed
GM auto-leveling Air pump to run ARB
Build HD rear bumper/receiver
Replace/Remove? Cats

Past Problems:
Fuel ignition relay wiring
OEM Birfields
OEM Alternator burnt up 4 years ago. Replacement NAPA one fried 4 times in 4 years at most inopportune times
OEM CD player quit—Replaced with JVC mp3 player, Pioneer AMP, pioneer Speakers, and CB radio in empty slot
Body half clearcoated, half pealed

Can you send photos of your alt bracket? Any issues with increased amps?

I missed this first time around...

I have a 91 FJ80 with around 265k miles on it. I live in Seabeck, WA near the Hood Canal.

I have done quit a few simple mods and PM's. I am currently installing 5.29 gears and ARB's front and rear. It has been quite a learning experience :rolleyes:

I have pretty much everything documented in the photos you can find in the link below in my SIG line.

Rich J

92' New single cat and Dynoflow exhaust. No problems, just PM's. Located in Ogden,
UT. It does have 185,000. See pics on recent post(recent mods, woodyFJ80) check sig line.

91- 186,000, pretty much stock, wilderness grill, OME springs, new in tank fuel filter, basic tune up stuff, 2 Aftermarket rads (go with OEM). 31" Wal Marts. Bailing wire to stop Cat heat shield rattle.

'92, with 201,000 miles!

-new alt, new cooling system, new starter, new brake master cylinder and booster, plugs, wires, power steering pump, bunch of emissions stuff, new A/C syetem, fairly new exhaust (stock), rebuilt axles front and rear, rebuilt and balanced d-shafts, new brakes front, new belts, all fluids replaced when I bought it.

-The fun stuff;

-4:88 Yukon gears
-33x12.50x15 BFG AT KO's
-15x10 MT Classic II's
-BFletch's OME 3" J lift (soon to have yellow caster correction)
-Yakima roof rack
-Pilot yellow fogs in bumper
-new single din Alpine
-400 Watt inverter

- soon;

will redo the interior with some sound proofing, front seats, new carpet, and seat covers for rear. I'm going to buy a bumper from the Michigan dude if I can talk him into it. Also going to install a hood scoop, and paint the hood flat black with clear coat.

Well, I guess I'll sign it now.

1991 FJ80
~268,000 miles

mods:
-see sig
-really loud sound system

damage:
-bent control arm mount
-crunched USPS rocker panel
-Rocky Mountain pinstriping
-bent tranny x-member
-[STRIKE]many broken exhaust mounts[/STRIKE] new exhaust system
-stripped axle shafts

7935_275970585227_539070227_8775030_6857072_n.jpg

7935_280393985227_539070227_8855709_7363530_n.jpg

Last edited:
I got a 1992 with only 182,000 miles.
Stock, new birfs.
*Electrical problem that just developed*:mad:
33x12.5 BFGoodrich AT KO's.

Hopeful mods ARB, 4x4 Labs Rear, OME 2.5 Heavy, etc.

91 Fj80 147k Miles

Just Bought It In July. Still In The Process Of Fixing Minor Problems(po Didn't Know How To Take Care Of It:frown:) SHOULD HAVE IT PAINTED BY JANUARY 2008, THEN OME 3" LIFT, 16X10 BLACK CRAWLERS W/33X12.5R16

'92 with 170,000 miles. I am the third owner (Carfax). Life long Texas truck - no rust.

I've had this truck for 4 years. It had 96,000 miles at the time. Daily driver. Stock, no lock.
I am not a "wheeler" but I do get the truck into the woods/offroad from time to time for hunting/camping outings.

Issues:
I've replaced the alternator twice with OEM each time. Planning a GM 100 amp convertion.
Soldered the EGR temp sensor wires together. No more CEL.
Replaced the push rod cover gasket. (PITA)
Replaced the valve cover gasket. (cleaned inside of valve cover.)
Replaced all the injectors. (they were spraying fuel all over!)
Cleaned the plenum and intake manifold when I had the injectors out.
Replaced one U-joint on front shaft.
Rebuild front calipers.
Repacked birfs soon after purchase.
I change the transmission fluid after each trip to Colorado. (The mountain passes kill the tranny)

Mods:
Converted the A/C to R-134A (very cold)
32 X 11.5 BFG AT
Front brush gaurd. - looking to chop up and mod.
Drilled front rotors.
Added an LED third brake light (from GM) to the roof.

92 now with 128,000 miles. No real mods, just doing all my PM stuff which is almost done. I am in the middle of my front axle service now.

Oh I added a rear cargo light so I guess that is my only mod right now.

Jon Held here. Somewhere under 200K original owner miles. Bought it brand new in July of 1991. I've learned a thing or 2 in the last 16 years and have tried to collect the more technical stuff on my website.

Played around with lots of aftermarket parts over the years and always go back to OEM. She's been rode hard and put up wet (literally) more than once and doesn't much complain. She's been bumped, bounced, beaten, sunk, dried out, sometimes neglected, never forgotten, and always loved. I would jump in today and drive accross country without a second thought if it weren't for the price of fuel.

Parts that wore out: water pump, PS pump, alternator, fan clutch, downpipes/cats, O2 sensors, EGR valve, EGR regulator, VSV valves, igniter. That's the big stuff anyway. Had some stuff replaced that I broke or bent with stronger stuff, but the drive train is all original with the exception of gears and lockers.

There's a full list of modifications on my website.

Peace.

'91 stock. Reduced to a winter truck due to fuel prices. 200k. Body close to perfect after fixing top liftgate rust. Made it up "Test Hill" at Silver Lake this past summer if that means anything to those of you from Michigan. 5 year old daughter thinks it's the coolest thing on the road. I have some cool 3FE graphic T-Shirts for all you owners. Check "clothing corner." I also made up some 3FE Power graphics that go where the JDM "twin Cam" decals go on the FZJ's.
Roof Rack removed.

92 going on one year of ownership. only been able to drive it about 4000 miles so far and 2500 of that was driving it fron ca to nc. spent most of the year on jack stands fixing stuff. up on jack stands again waiting for new brakes. because of this ive had no money for performance mods :-(. but it came with quite a few when bought. has slee 6 in lift with all suspension replaced with slee parts. has custom made wheels with 36 in tires and a custom front bumper. electric fans... one now broken.
future mods in near future
aussie locker
re gear
winch
lights
new interior
future mods down the line
diesel swap
axle swap
crawler box if one becomes easily available

things still needing to be fixed
heater blows but isnt hot
relpace one electric fan
fix radio
find source of death wobble
new shocks
paint ds fender
fix bent to sh!t antena

still love this thing. looking for a beater so i can off road without worrying about breakage and what ill drive to work

oh yeah 206k on clock but more realistically closer to 215k
synthetics in everything

1992 FJ80
Engine Seized, then got it replaced by AAA -- really only about 70,000 miles on the engine. 205,000 on the rig.
Not much done to the engine to enhance it. Just repairs.

Other junk coming to my rig though.

Proud to be a 3FE owner.

91 with 240,000 miles

Flareless, Flapless, and body panels far from Flawless:grinpimp:

OBA and 33's and I'm still looking for a used OME 2.5

Near Sacramento , CA

This Forum Rocks!!:flipoff2:

I have a 92 FJ80 with just under 194000 miles. The PO sunk about $10,000 in new tires, miscellaneous repairs and chasing down the infamous "clunk". After succeeding, his wife made him sell it. His loss, my gain.

This is the latest picture after installing FJ Cruiser wheels and BFG M/T 285/70R-17 tires.

The other mods are listed in my sig line.

Steve

1992 with 3FE

275xxx on the clock

Runs perfect
A440F transmission rebuild in progress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom