3FE Owners Check-In (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ80 dials up the T-100

giphy.gif

If I remember correctly that has a FF rear and not a FJ but FZJ

it's a NON-USA FJ ........

with a SNOW VERSION rear axle as a standard feature .....

This is my daughter's '92 3FE 80. We've had it since 2017 when we bought it with original suspension and busted up fender flares. It would have taken more than we have to "restore it", so we just embraced it for the redneck wagon that it is. She works on it with me and knows where to hit the starter with a hammer when needed.
PXL_20210527_212821661.MP.jpg
IMG_20210826_211032.jpg
20210123_134105.jpg

She works at a preschool and she said today she was called out of class by her boss because there was a woman there that wanted to talk to her about her car. Worried that someone had hit it, she went to the office, where the lady just thought it was cool and wanted to ask her questions about it! So she told her all about it, referred her to IH8Mud, and our local mechanic who has a hobby of working on and flipping Land Cruisers.

I always hoped she would "graduate" from the 3FE when she "grew up", but I don't think I'm getting this one back.

This is my daughter's '92 3FE 80. We've had it since 2017 when we bought it with original suspension and busted up fender flares. It would have taken more than we have to "restore it", so we just embraced it for the redneck wagon that it is. She works on it with me and knows where to hit the starter with a hammer when needed. View attachment 3268109View attachment 3268108View attachment 3268107

She works at a preschool and she said today she was called out of class by her boss because there was a woman there that wanted to talk to her about her car. Worried that someone had hit it, she went to the office, where the lady just thought it was cool and wanted to ask her questions about it! So she told her all about it, referred her to IH8Mud, and our local mechanic who has a hobby of working on and flipping Land Cruisers.

I always hoped she would "graduate" from the 3FE when she "grew up", but I don't think I'm getting this one back.

Looks like you have more then 1 Land Cruiser in the driveway! My wife like to drive my FJ80 as she said "no one tries to run her off the road when she's in it!" HA HA!

Looks like you have more then 1 Land Cruiser in the driveway! My wife like to drive my FJ80 as she said "no one tries to run her off the road when she's in it!" HA HA!
Can't ever have enough! My other daughter and SIL live with us and I talked him into buying a 100 series, so there are 3 right now. They are all hoping to inherit my '97.

Can't ever have enough! My other daughter and SIL live with us and I talked him into buying a 100 series, so there are 3 right now. They are all hoping to inherit my '97.
Not sure why anyone would want more than 1 really. Unless one is a parts car. One is enough for me.....80s is a perfect DO IT ALL rig. Kind of a swiss army knife - jack of all trades. But nothing it does particularly well....

Not sure why anyone would want more than 1 really. Unless one is a parts car. One is enough for me.....80s is a perfect DO IT ALL rig. Kind of a swiss army knife - jack of all trades. But nothing it does particularly well....
I have 6 drivers in my household. It's a built in 4x4 club for family vacations and after school trips up the mountain. I go screw around in the snow and get stuck. Do I wait hours for off-road recovery, or call my daughter? We all drive and camp. It's the right rig for river guiding, fishing guiding, desert, mountain, and snow.

Edit: Besides that, YOU try telling my daughter she can't have a Land Cruiser because we only need one! I tried buying a brand new 4Runner TRD for my wife when my son wrecked our first cruiser in 2016. After driving it she said it wasn't as good as the 80 and that's all she wants. If she's driving the replacement 80, then what am I supposed to drive? People need to get their priorities straight.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So the date is set to try and get my 2fe in my 80 which is on the other side of the country from me. April 15th in Fuquay Varina NC.
I had thought a friend had pulled my 3fe last september but found out yesterday it hasn't been touched. So i'll be pulling the 3fe, swapping all needed parts to the 2fe, installing along with a body lift and then get he stand alone ecu to run.
Then later in the year when I get it back to me in WA i'll be doing the turbo install.

My truck looking sad how it sits currently.

1679344728011.png

1679344736341.png

Can't find a picture of the 2fe currently but this is the specs on it
Specs:
Head was refreshed with new exhaust valves, cleaned, pressure tested, shaved 0.030 and valve job
Oil gallery port tapped and plugged
Late model 2F block
Bored .75mm or 0.030" over
New Toyota lifters
New pistons, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, timing gears
Reground cam Delta 250s

Duration intake 250
Duration exhaust 254
Intakes opens 17, closes 58
Exhaust opens 60 closes 14
cam rise .255 L/C 108 degrees
Lash intake .014 exhaust .014

Injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested
New fuel pulse dampener
3FE Distributor
MSD 6A multispark controller

The entire rotating assembly of this engine was balanced - this is what makes this motor special. It will spin 5k effortlessly and that's where I have the rev limit set. I'm currently running a H55F and the gear spacing is such that I rarely spin it over 4,500. I had the engine WOT dyno tuned and it makes 144RWHP and 206ft*lbs:

View attachment 2600551

At the time I had worn out tires on the my 40, and the tuner didn't trust running it WOT in 4th, so this was the results in 3rd gear. I will tell you, and others who have ridden in my truck will confirm, this thing has a TON more power than any stock 2F or 3FE.

MegaSquirt MS2 controller:
I built this controller and have done most of the tuning myself. This setup allows you to completely control timing, fueling, idle speed, etc etc. Included is a bluetooth adapter that allows tuning and dashboard monitoring via laptop or tablet. I'll throw in my POS tablet that I currently have mounted to my dash, but highly recommend a more elegant solution. The tablet is old, in bad condition, but working. You can see the tablet in the videos below.

Cold start: I have had some issues with cold start. I've been able to tune them out for the most part, but ran out of talent and cold days to get it really good. It still takes several revolutions on a really cold day to start. And honestly, this setup takes an extra crank rev or two to start than stock at all conditions. However, it does always fire up and idles very nicely, immediately.

Oil leaks:
One at the front of the engine: I've confirmed this leak is from the front crank seal, and I've replaced the seal and it still leaks, so the crank pulley will need a speedi-sleeve. Also, there is a seeping leak at the rear passenger side of the engine I believe to be coming from the side cover. Will confirm when the engine is pulled. Couple of drips after parked.

Leak Down Test:
Below are the numbers from each cylinder from a leakdown test. I used a Snap-On and it shows 10-30% as "low" (leakage), 40-70% as "moderate", for reference. Note, that my testing was just using the dizzy rotor position bumped by the starter to get each cylinder to its TDC and I think I had some leakage from the exhaust due to being just past TDC when the exhaust valve was just starting to open (I could hear some air in the exhaust and some in the crankcase)

1 - 7%
2 - 20%
3 - 25%
4 - 15%
5 - 18%
6 - 10%

Compression Test:
Performed with engine warm, dry test. Did not do a wet test.

1 - 190PSI
2 - 175PSI
3 - 180PSI
4 - 175PSI
5 - 180PSI
6 - 185PSI

And the turbo kit that will eventually be installed.
Pics are from a 62 that I bought it from

1679345541194.png

1679345549500.png

So the date is set to try and get my 2fe in my 80 which is on the other side of the country from me. April 15th in Fuquay Varina NC.
I had thought a friend had pulled my 3fe last september but found out yesterday it hasn't been touched. So i'll be pulling the 3fe, swapping all needed parts to the 2fe, installing along with a body lift and then get he stand alone ecu to run.
Then later in the year when I get it back to me in WA i'll be doing the turbo install.

My truck looking sad how it sits currently.

View attachment 3277981

View attachment 3277982

Can't find a picture of the 2fe currently but this is the specs on it
Specs:
Head was refreshed with new exhaust valves, cleaned, pressure tested, shaved 0.030 and valve job
Oil gallery port tapped and plugged
Late model 2F block
Bored .75mm or 0.030" over
New Toyota lifters
New pistons, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, timing gears
Reground cam Delta 250s

Duration intake 250
Duration exhaust 254
Intakes opens 17, closes 58
Exhaust opens 60 closes 14
cam rise .255 L/C 108 degrees
Lash intake .014 exhaust .014

Injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested
New fuel pulse dampener
3FE Distributor
MSD 6A multispark controller

The entire rotating assembly of this engine was balanced - this is what makes this motor special. It will spin 5k effortlessly and that's where I have the rev limit set. I'm currently running a H55F and the gear spacing is such that I rarely spin it over 4,500. I had the engine WOT dyno tuned and it makes 144RWHP and 206ft*lbs:

View attachment 2600551

At the time I had worn out tires on the my 40, and the tuner didn't trust running it WOT in 4th, so this was the results in 3rd gear. I will tell you, and others who have ridden in my truck will confirm, this thing has a TON more power than any stock 2F or 3FE.

MegaSquirt MS2 controller:
I built this controller and have done most of the tuning myself. This setup allows you to completely control timing, fueling, idle speed, etc etc. Included is a bluetooth adapter that allows tuning and dashboard monitoring via laptop or tablet. I'll throw in my POS tablet that I currently have mounted to my dash, but highly recommend a more elegant solution. The tablet is old, in bad condition, but working. You can see the tablet in the videos below.

Cold start: I have had some issues with cold start. I've been able to tune them out for the most part, but ran out of talent and cold days to get it really good. It still takes several revolutions on a really cold day to start. And honestly, this setup takes an extra crank rev or two to start than stock at all conditions. However, it does always fire up and idles very nicely, immediately.

Oil leaks:
One at the front of the engine: I've confirmed this leak is from the front crank seal, and I've replaced the seal and it still leaks, so the crank pulley will need a speedi-sleeve. Also, there is a seeping leak at the rear passenger side of the engine I believe to be coming from the side cover. Will confirm when the engine is pulled. Couple of drips after parked.

Leak Down Test:
Below are the numbers from each cylinder from a leakdown test. I used a Snap-On and it shows 10-30% as "low" (leakage), 40-70% as "moderate", for reference. Note, that my testing was just using the dizzy rotor position bumped by the starter to get each cylinder to its TDC and I think I had some leakage from the exhaust due to being just past TDC when the exhaust valve was just starting to open (I could hear some air in the exhaust and some in the crankcase)

1 - 7%
2 - 20%
3 - 25%
4 - 15%
5 - 18%
6 - 10%

Compression Test:
Performed with engine warm, dry test. Did not do a wet test.

1 - 190PSI
2 - 175PSI
3 - 180PSI
4 - 175PSI
5 - 180PSI
6 - 185PSI

And the turbo kit that will eventually be installed.
Pics are from a 62 that I bought it from

View attachment 3277986

View attachment 3277987
Any advantage of the 2FE v 3FE? More high end torque, right?

Any advantage of the 2FE v 3FE? More high end torque, right?
better TQ all around, slightly more HP all around better motor but its also 2" or so taller so a BL needs to be installed or cut the hood. Basically a 3fe stroker motor using all yota parts.
Most 2FE's are made to run off the 3fe ECU but this one is on a standalone micro squirt and has been build a bit more extreme. If Memory serves its around 210 HP and over 300 TQ at the motor after another dyno run and correcting for tires. There are a few threads, mostly in the 60's section that goes into more details between the two. I've only seen 3 80's that have done the conversion here on mud.

This one has about 3,000 miles on it unitll the power bug really big my friend and he went vortec 6.0. I'll mess around with it NA for a while and then add the huffer. Then i'll most likely get bored and go vortec or diesel since I have a few sitting around and give the motor and turbo set up to a friend.

Last edited:
better TQ all around, slightly more HP all around better motor but its also 2" or so taller so a BL needs to be installed or cut the hood. Basically a 3fe stroker motor using all yota parts.
Most 2FE's are made to run off the 3fe ECU but this one is on a standalone micro squirt and has been build a bit more extreme. If Memory serves its around 210 HP and over 300 TQ at the motor after another dyno run and correcting for tires. There are a few threads, mostly in the 60's section that goes into more details between the two. I've only seen 3 80's that have done the conversion here on mud.

This one has about 3,000 miles on it unitll the power bug really big my friend and he went vortec 6.0. I'll mess around with it NA for a while and then add the huffer. Then i'll most likely get bored and go vortec or diesel since I have a few sitting around and give the motor and turbo set up to a friend.
Good to know! Best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom