3B with 2 temp senders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 3B in a 1979 BJ42 seems to have 2 temperature senders. Which is the one to use?
IMG_1096.jpeg

The connector on the one attached looks correct, although I have used that style on the other sensor style. Does your temp gauge work now? yes if it ain't broke don't fix it; no well I don't think there is any harm in moving the connector over to the other one and see what happens. Both sensors could be broken, or doing the wrong range for your meter, which could also be broken or have a bad wire. The correct manual for your unit is well worth the effort to obtain if for nothing more than the wiring diagram.

Neighbor lady is mad because I don't want to work on her car(s) any more - I have ask her for years to buy a book for them. "Too expensive was her excuse 2 days ago" yea well $200/hr shop rate is too expensive for me.

Yea I'm guessing that the correct one is the one in the aluminium thermostat housing.

Measure the resistance cold and hot for both of them.
One was maybe added - do you have a 50mm hole in the dash somewhere where an aftermarket gauge used to be?

The connector on the one attached looks correct, although I have used that style on the other sensor style. Does your temp gauge work now? yes if it ain't broke don't fix it; no well I don't think there is any harm in moving the connector over to the other one and see what happens. Both sensors could be broken, or doing the wrong range for your meter, which could also be broken or have a bad wire. The correct manual for your unit is well worth the effort to obtain if for nothing more than the wiring diagram.

Neighbor lady is mad because I don't want to work on her car(s) any more - I have ask her for years to buy a book for them. "Too expensive was her excuse 2 days ago" yea well $200/hr shop rate is too expensive for me.
Yea I'm guessing that the correct one is the one in the aluminium thermostat housing.

Measure the resistance cold and hot for both of them.
One was maybe added - do you have a 50mm hole in the dash somewhere where an aftermarket gauge used to be?
Grounded the wire leading to the sender to verify the gauge WOULD go to a max reading (it did)

Thermostat housing (spade connector) sender - 250 ohms warm; 52 ohms cold
Large sender (button style connector) -1000 ohms warm; 2725 ohms cold

It seems to me that the resistance should drop as the engine warms up if the gauge goes to max when grounded. So the spade terminal sender is doing just the opposite whereas the button terminal is doing as I expect but maybe not in the right range for the gauge?

No 50mm holes in the dash so no aftermarket gauge.

Yea so neither of them were right in the end. Time to order a new sender by the sounds of it.
One thing to watch is the resistance across the thread sealant - that can make a good sender read crazy too.

Image-28.jpg

I don't believe so, because they both run from the regulated 7V from the fuel gauge don't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom