37's with stock gears? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run 36.5 on my hdj80 but the 1hd-t and h151 make quick work of it. I actually preferd the big tires. Makes the rpm's drop on the hyway.

in our cases it's a mix of manual tranny with ugly OD or 5ft gear and low rpm range Turbo Diesel engine .. so we take advantage on that ..

wow .. lots of incentive to just say screw it and get 37's!!

Well, it's not really "screw it". 37's will weigh about 3-4 lbs more than the 35 in the same tire, and they fit easily enough and make a tremendous difference offroad.

So it's more of a "crawl easier offroad, go ahead and get your 5.29's, love the looks of your rig more, and be done with it" sort of thing.

:flipoff2:

Ohh sweet post 101!

Sweet, post #10,000.:eek:

I have likely typed this before? I'm happier with mine on highway mountain climbs, with the 295's it would hunt between 2nd & 3rd, now it holds 2nd and goes. It is a better wheeler with 37"s, would be even better if geared. I have a set of 5.29's, should install then someday, soonly,,, maybe? Heard it is best to properly age them, is 4yrs enough?:eek::hillbilly:

Since no one has even remotely attempted to talk me out of this I may be purchasing a used set of 37 toyo's on weld rims tomorrow for CHEAP. Cheap enough that if I dont like them I wont feel too bad about turning around and selling them for some 35's.

^^^Nice one, post up some pics with the 37" meats on there. And no one's talking you out of it cuz most have had the Kool-Aid where one mod just leads to another :D

Gears can wait .. looks like the boyz running the 37's do so without much worry until they get their gears.

What is available for 37"s?? Trxus MT's, KM2's, Toyo's .. anything else worth looking at?

Glad I decided to wait on my 35's .. Thanks Nay, I think this psychological jump to the daily use of 37's is mostly due to you.

What are the big issues with running stock gears and 37's outside of slowing us down some? What's more likely to break wheeling 37's vs. 35's with stock gears?

Ran 37s n stock gears for about 2 years, thought it was a bit of a dog.
Went to 4.88s
Still a bit of a dog, but one i can live with.

I ran 38s with stock gears for a while just dont run od at highway speed and its about perfect cruise rpm. went to 5.29 and was a little dissapointed with the gains. A note is I did gear change my self about $460 from east coast diff (Chase) with mini kit. That being said if I were straped for cash or in middle of build I certainly wouldnt drop the money some of you are for gears and install.

Just got some 37" Cooper STT's on FGay rims, wanted KM2's but them seem to have vanished from the market and are speculated to be released near the end on January. I got the Coopers mounted for about $50 less that tire rack sells the KM2's so it wasn't a bad deal for the size. I would have waited but lost 2 tires last weekend so didn't really have much of a choice. Really sexy though and supposed to have pretty beefy side walls.
Stock gears w/ an OME 2.5" up and 1" spring spacer and 1.5" wheel spacers. Only had them on a couple of days and I live in the flatlands. Big factor is probably the terrain where you use it mostly. It drives nice, little slower acceleration but I still get there without any bitching. Plans to move to hill country so gears are certainly on my list but I can hang till I get em though I was nervous to take the jump without gearing at the same time. Worst gripe is probably the speedo, GPS says I'm doing 70 when speedo reads 59.
I haven't had a chance to flex her out yet, speculating some slight rubbage but from the sounds of it, taller spring spacers and rear bump stops usually takes care of it, maybe a slight flare trim worst case. I do have a front ARB bump, I could see a stock front bumper being an issue for some rubbing, not much room left at all but I think anything smaller looks not big enough.

in our cases it's a mix of manual tranny with ugly OD or 5ft gear and low rpm range Turbo Diesel engine .. so we take advantage on that ..

Ya I hear ya! Im stock gears and wouldnt mind 3.73's, the cummins revs a little high for highway speeds (70mph top, 60mph comfortable)

So I guess there is another option to avoid changing gears, not cheaper, but an option. :cheers:

I was fine with the stock gears and 37's then I hit up some mountains and damn I need me some 5.29's. Going on the never ending list! More towards the top though...

These runs Procomp 37", and 4,56 but its whit manual tranny who where orginal at 3,70.
4,56 it`s almost as orginal ratio. 5,29 will be nice whit auto tranny.
file.php

I’ve got stock gears with 37’s. My engine needs a serious tuneup. In 4low with the center diff lock engaged I can climb anything, but it is a dog in high range. I was climbing this up and down for fun the other day, just because my wife’s JK on 35’s dragged. 😁. I’m going to find a place to tune up the rig and regear. I’m building a new front axle with a trussed housing and chromoly axles so now is a good time to do it.

5D0B8B03-4CA9-42D0-BF9A-3FB9BDEBA57B.jpeg

B79AFC95-8009-4D74-8DD1-8014D6A866D0.jpeg

Anyone run them? I tried searching but it wont let me search the term "37" ... I threw a 315 on the truck today for fun and it looked small, even with NO lift. I dont need 37's, but with my 3.5" lift going in I am starting to get the itch :hmm:. Talk me out of it.

Semi-related, my obs as a *Prius 80 owner is 35s on stock gearing is tolerable. 35s + 4.88s = better punch off the line, but imho gets a bit NVH buzzy >70mph.

37s on 4.88s effectively brings it back to stock ratio and so far it's my fav setup to date. I personally would not run 37s on stock gears based on my 35s on stock gears experience.

*Prius 80 = DD / stock weight / 1FZ-FE

cruiser.jpg

Last edited:
This is just the answer I was looking for.
download (1).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom