37's with stock gears? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you run stock gearing on 37s, you might just be a mall crawler.. lol

Dear better than thou—

I’ll save the effort of quoting all the other comments.

For the record your last ~two years of 1fz hate postings have more than eclipsed the decade of supposed anti 3fe postings that obviously got you a little butt hurt. Honestly. It’s getting a lil old.

They are both great engines. Chose your preference or run what ya brung. But for the love of Kiichiro Toyoda quit the drama

335k miles with over a 150k with the blower and no catastrophic (or even minor) failures.
Yes I want more (tc gears on shelf). Yes they all have their potential shortcomings. Yes I love all land cruisers. No I don’t want to drive down highway with 5.29s for 6-10 hrs.

Sincerely-Supercharged stock geared 1FZ 37” mall crawler. Have shopped at Moab, Nevada, ouray, tellico, anthracite, paragon, Rausch, uwharrie, crozet and other departments. Hell I hear there’s a sale in SD this year I plan on attending

Last edited:
LOL, this probably won't get read as this is about to be deleted but, this thread was answered quite well in post #2 23 years ago.
My .02 on stock gearing and 37's is 👎
I drove mine around town for a couple weeks while I waiting on gearing and it was painful. Can't imagine going off road. 21 years of stock gearing and 35's 👍

Post upgrade-
37's with 4:88 gearing and stock TC on a long drive around Colorado last year, 2 people, couple suitcases, kayak:
Highway- great on flat roads and if not passing in a hurry @ 75mph
Several moderate off road forest trails- Did OK and no complaints going up, had to use brakes on downhills quite a bit.
Cruising around mountain towns looking cool, sure. My .02, save your $$ and buy a death trap Cherokee if you can add gearing and lockers with the 37's, the driving experience feels similar and your about to get way in over your head in maintenance costs.
The suck- got behind a work truck on I-70 EB to tunnel. Tried to get up to speed after he pulled off and I couldn't get over 35 mph, f&%k, frustrating, I could do this before with 35's and a loaded 3000lb camper...

If I was stuck with 37's **and stock gearing** in my 80 I would probably lose interest and sell it or just park it as none of these scenarios would be enjoyable. I would maybe look at the TC gearing but i'm putting my $$$ on 450 hp next instead.

**edit

Last edited:
Dear better than thou—

I’ll save the effort of quoting all the other comments.

For the record your last ~two years of 1fz hate postings have more than eclipsed the decade of supposed anti 3fe postings that obviously got you a little butt hurt. Honestly. It’s getting a lil old.

They are both great engines. Chose your preference or run what ya brung. But for the love of Kiichiro Toyoda quit the drama

335k miles with over a 150k with the blower and no catastrophic (or even minor) failures.
Yes I want more (tc gears on shelf). Yes they all have their potential shortcomings. Yes I love all land cruisers. No I don’t want to drive down highway with 5.29s for 6-10 hrs.

Sincerely-Supercharged stock geared 1FZ 37” mall crawler. Have shopped at Moab, Nevada, ouray, tellico, anthracite, paragon, Rausch, uwharrie, crozet and other departments. Hell I hear there’s a sale in SD this year I plan on attending
Meh, if you only pay attention to my posts and will understand my hate is not on 1fz, but for those who poke fun on other engines.. so to fit it all wrong and why this post is a few yrs old and why am I still here debating with ppl that absolutely says they love all 80s but their post suggrstrd otherwise ... anyways, carry the hell on and ignore me.

Came on here to find out "reviews" on running 37s with stock gears and found SOME info but a LOT of drama.. Entertaining af :) As they say in Italy, 3FEs are GARBACCIO.. :rofl: JK JK - I'm about to upgrade to 37s and at least for a while i'll be on stock gears. Here we go :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom