Need advice on truck bed trailer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I just picked up a trailer made from an old Toyota pickup bed. The previous owner doesn't know what year it is. He thinks it's an '81. Can you help me identify the year?

PXL_20220102_214703210.jpg

Also I would like to put a tonneau cover on it to store camping gear. Are they any leads only covers for older Toyota pickup beds?

PXL_20220103_200717098.jpg

PXL_20220103_200737342.MP.jpg

PXL_20220103_152435334.jpg

Also it's not supposed to snow in Alabama. Not sure what to do now. I'm just confused about life.

I just bought some 27 8.5 r14 tires. I think they should fit on the wheels. I bought some cheap mud tires so it will look off road like.
IMG_20220102_153405_01.jpg

Definitely not an '81. 75-78 based on the tail lights. 79 and later wrap around where yours are flat.

Can you explain these crazy lug and lug nuts? The diameter of the lug is huge and nut wall is so thin.
PXL_20220103_205005784.jpg
PXL_20220103_205039916.jpg

Wow I'd almost forgotten about those. They allow you to change the bolt pattern on the wheel as the stud is now slightly off-center from the original. I'd dump them and unless you're absolutely married to those wheels just get something else. Otherwise you can find billet wheel spacers that also change the bolt pattern. They look all wonky anyway.

PXL_20220103_214128102.jpg

Just figured that out!

BTW there's people that would pay good money for that tailgate.

BTW there's people that would pay good money for that tailgate.
I don't want to tell you how much I picked up this trailer for then.

I mean just as wall art. Never mind actually using it as intended!

I mean just as wall art. Never mind actually using it as intended!
I just looked on eBay... I could turn a profit!

so would the original bolt pattern be a 5 X 4.5? (5 X 114.4) ?

PXL_20220104_224326265.jpg

These corner panels are the only part of the bed that have rust all the way through. What are these called? Is there any easy way to remove and replace them?

That's no later than a '78 model year. I bought a '71 Toyota trailer years ago for $75 (in 'Spring Green' - an FJ40 color) and rehabbed it and sold it for a lot more.

These corner panels are the only part of the bed that have rust all the way through. What are these called? Is there any easy way to remove and replace them?

No easy way to remove/replace. Maybe you should paint those areas (top and bottom) with a paint-over-rust paint (Hammered Finish - Home Depot) and leave it. Unless you are loading it with rocks or jumping on it with boots, it will hold up just fine.

No easy way to remove/replace. Maybe you should paint those areas (top and bottom) with a paint-over-rust paint (Hammered Finish - Home Depot) and leave it. Unless you are loading it with rocks or jumping on it with boots, it will hold up just fine.
To late!!!

PXL_20220106_030224709.jpg

Turns out I do not instinctively know how to weld sheet metal. I just kept eating away at the edge of the metal.
PXL_20220107_025215050.jpg

So I need to learn that.

The plan is to have this sealed enough to keep camping gear dry. I am a big fan of por-15 and a bunch is in the mail. I am going to do inside the bed and the undercharge. My wife and I like the "patina" so we are going to clear coat the outside.

LOTS of tack welds is how you weld thin sheet metal. Clean the rust and paint off the weld area. Eventually they all touch and you can grind them flush. Take it easy grinding or it gets hot and warps. add another tack weld on any pin holes you see. If you have access use a hammer and dolly on the welds as you go to minimize warping.
Experiment with your welder setting for the tacks. When you get it right it's well fused and pretty flat so less grinding. Good luck with your project.

Scott

Turns out I do not instinctively know how to weld sheet metal. I just kept eating away at the edge of the metal.

So I need to learn that.
Make sure the metal is real clean. Another trick is to use copper on the backside. You can get copper magnets just for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom