37's with stock gears? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4.88 with TC 10% underdrive high and 3.1:1 low range on 37s. Extremely happy with it. 4Lo all day and can keep it in Drive and downshift to 3rd for more power if needed.

been driving my '97 with 37's and factory gears... it's slow... but it was slow before... but I still managed to pull away on hills from a 100 with 35's....

Definitely planning on gears... but I don't know that I am really that unhappy with factory gears. It's going to be a fat slow pig either way....

Last edited:
been driving my '97 with 37's and factory gears... it's slow... but it was slow before... but I still managed to pull away on hills from a 100 with 35's....

Definitely planning on gears... but I don't know that I am really that unhappy with factory gears. It's going to be a fat slow pig either way....
If you run stock gearing on 37s, you might just be a mall crawler.. lol

I ran stock gearing with 35s for years (it was the way i bought it). The TC gear change was a total game changer.

I’ll trade anyone my locked 4.88 axels for your stock locked ones! I started on stock gears with 37s, then discovered Mud and did the classic jump everyone says to do to 5.29s, absolutely HATED them, now on 4.88s which is okay I guess, but I would love to go back to stock gears. Granted I’m supercharged now but I always thought the gear argument was overkill. It makes very little difference in my opinion on the trials and takes a lot of time, money, and energy to swap gears. If I could do it all over again I would have kept the stock axels and done the T Case gears.

I’ll trade anyone my locked 4.88 axels for your stock locked ones! I started on stock gears with 37s, then discovered Mud and did the classic jump everyone says to do to 5.29s, absolutely HATED them, now on 4.88s which is okay I guess, but I would love to go back to stock gears. Granted I’m supercharged now but I always thought the gear argument was overkill. It makes very little difference in my opinion on the trials and takes a lot of time, money, and energy to swap gears. If I could do it all over again I would have kept the stock axels and done the T Case gears.

The transfer case regear only gives you 10% underdrive of your factory gearing. Definitely not enough if you are running 37s and stock 4.10 / TC underdrive. Like i said earlier, if you are just into Subaru trails, 37s and 4.10 is plenty...lol

The transfer case regear only gives you 10% underdrive of your factory gearing. Definitely not enough if you are running 37s and stock 4.10 / TC underdrive. Like i said earlier, if you are just into Subaru trails, 37s and 4.10 is plenty...lol

I don’t think I’m doing Subaru trails lol. Maybe if you have a 3FE like I believe you do, then ya im sure you need some gears in. I’m not sure of many people who have been through all of the gear sets in the same truck like I have. I know what I like and what has worked well for me wheeling just about all of the gnarly trails Colorado and Utah has to offer.

I encourage anyone before investing the $1000-$3000 it takes to regear and do all the extra while you’re in there stuff to go drive in a truck with those gears before reading what a bunch of people on the internet have to say about it

I don’t think I’m doing Subaru trails lol. Maybe if you have a 3FE like I believe you do, then ya im sure you need some gears in. I’m not sure of many people who have been through all of the gear sets in the same truck like I have. I know what I like and what has worked well for me wheeling just about all of the gnarly trails Colorado and Utah has to offer.

I encourage anyone before investing the $1000-$3000 it takes to regear and do all the extra while you’re in there stuff to go drive in a truck with those gears before reading what a bunch of people on the internet have to say about ,

Did you say my 3FE needed all the gearing?? I took a month off on here and this is the 1st post i get from 1FZ-a holes...figures.

I encourage anyone before investing the $1000-$3000 it takes to regear and do all the extra while you’re in there stuff to go drive in a truck with those gears before reading what a bunch of people on the internet have to say about it
I also had a supercharged 80 with 4.88s, but I was in 35s. I drove it from Montana to sand hollow, wheeled it, and drove home. I left with the opposite feeling, I sold the supercharger because I didn’t think it made an difference and want more gearing.

I also had a supercharged 80 with 4.88s, but I was in 35s. I drove it from Montana to sand hollow, wheeled it, and drove home. I left with the opposite feeling, I sold the supercharger because I didn’t think it made an difference and want more gearing.
The only think he might need is a new head after the SC does its number on the 1FZ....lol
so yeah might as well start saving.

Did you say my 3FE needed all the gearing?? I took a month off on here and this is the 1st post i get from 1FZ-a holes...figures.

You think me saying “some gears” means “all the gears”? I wasn’t dissing on the 3FE, but it’s not a secret it has less power right?? Someone seems a little insecure about their engine lol. But what do I know, I’ll keep rocking my “Subaru trails” :rofl:

You think me saying “some gears” means “all the gears”? I wasn’t dissing on the 3FE, but it’s not a secret it has less power right?? Someone seems a little insecure about their engine lol. But what do I know, I’ll keep rocking my “Subaru trails” :rofl:
I had my reasons....don't diss my 3FE...it will probably still purrs after most ppl have 2nd or 3rd HG rebuild. in their cream puffs. No thanks, i love my 3FE and when it dies, it will get a V8. But probably will never die the rate it is going. Stick to the Subaru trail might be a wise move for you.
MUD is fun and game, but too much hate for my liking. Enjoy your 410.

I had my reasons....don't diss my 3FE...it will probably still purrs after most ppl have 2nd or 3rd HG rebuild. in their cream puffs. No thanks, i love my 3FE and when it dies, it will get a V8. But probably will never die the rate it is going. Stick to the Subaru trail might be a wise move for you.
Haha okay dude. If this is a Suabru line then send me the link because I want one ;)

(Oh ya, and this was on stock gearing to keep this post relevant)

I'm on 35s and 4.88s as well with factory t-case gearing. I don't feel it's enough gearing for me on rocks and am going to go lower TC gears

Haha okay dude. If this is a Suabru line then send me the link because I want one ;)

(Oh ya, and this was on stock gearing to keep this post relevant)

Then you should have no excuses to want more gearing...what are you doing dude? the last you want is to post misinformation on here and make ppl think factory gearing and 37s are OK....

Then you should have no excuses to want more gearing...what are you doing dude? the last you want is to post misinformation on here and make ppl think factory gearing and 37s are OK....

Did you read what I said, that video was WITH stock gearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom