315X75r16 .... why is everything load range E?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to put 315x75r16 on my 80, but it seems like a lot of tires are load range E. At first I was thinking Hankook Dynapro MT, but those are E. Grabber X3, also E. Pro Comp Xtreme, E. Goodyear Duratrac, also E and less aggressive than I'm looking for. Everything else I see is either too expensive or more of an AT tire. Any suggestions? Is there something I am missing?

Load range E is a good thing. It's a thicker/stronger tire. Why would you not want that?

E. 10 plys of greatness.

I would think that D would offer a better ride and better traction when aired down. If you convince me I'm wrong then I can order whatever tires I want!

So long as it's a radial, there won't be much difference between a D and a E. That should take care of off-road traction. On the road, there's probably more difference caused by the tread compound than by the carcass rating, although inflation can also be a factor

That's a load rating. Its antiquated and doesnt mean a tire is any tougher. A "10-ply E" has the same THREE PLY SIDEWALL as a "6-ply C" tire but you can run a higher air pressure on the E and carry more weight with the heavier tire.

I just bought a set of 35" MTRs in a C rating because i dont tow $hit and would rather have a tire that is lighter, conforms better offroad, and gives a more cush ride on the street.

That's a load rating. Its antiquated and doesnt mean a tire is any tougher. A "10-ply E" has the same THREE PLY SIDEWALL as a "6-ply C" tire but you can run a higher air pressure on the E and carry more weight with the heavier tire.
Sorta, this.

Load rating describes the load carrying capacity of the tire, and not how many literal plies it's made with. They refer to an old school cotton ply equivalent for reasons I can't really fathom still, but regardless, it doesn't always infer a stronger/sturdier tire.

That said, ply thickness and construction methods can vary even with 3 nylon/polyester plies, so you can't assume that a load range C and a load range D and a load range E tire are all the same sidewall carcass. They're not AFAIK.

Sorta, this.

Load rating describes the load carrying capacity of the tire, and not how many literal plies it's made with. They refer to an old school cotton ply equivalent for reasons I can't really fathom still, but regardless, it doesn't always infer a stronger/sturdier tire.

That said, ply thickness and construction methods can vary even with 3 nylon/polyester plies, so you can't assume that a load range C and a load range D and a load range E tire are all the same sidewall carcass. They're not AFAIK.

This, sorta.

Es are heavier than Cs but where does that weight go? Not sure other than a beefier bead to hold more air pressure, but if an E was 60-80% stronger in the sidewall like the "Ply Rating" would seem to suggest, you bet your @ss that ever tire manufacturer would be sure to make it known in the extremely competitive and lucrative offroad tire market.

Nitto, on their Ridge Grappler, offers a couple sizes in both E and C

Ridge Grappler Light Truck Tire

LT285/70R17 E 121/118Q 217000 16.4 32.76 11.50 7.5-(8.5)-9.0 3195/2910 @ 80 57.89
LT285/70R17 C 116/113Q 217010 16.4 32.76 11.50 7.5-(8.5)-9.0 2755/2535 @ 50 57.89
LT285/75R17 C 117/114Q 217210 16.4 33.86 11.26 7.5-(8.0)-9.5 2835/2600 @ 50 65.08
LT285/75R17 E 121/118Q 217200 16.4 33.86 11.26 7.5-(8.0)-9.5 3195/2910 @ 80 64.40

I have the 285/70R17 load C on our Tacoma

Reactions: RFB
This, sorta.

Es are heavier than Cs but where does that weight go? Not sure other than a beefier bead to hold more air pressure, but if an E was 60-80% stronger in the sidewall like the "Ply Rating" would seem to suggest, you bet your @ss that ever tire manufacturer would be sure to make it known in the extremely competitive and lucrative offroad tire market.
The offroad tire market is extremely competitive *and* lucrative at the same time?

You just said in an earlier post that the only difference is a tire that conforms better (how? if it's only the bead thickness as you claim?) and rides better (again... why?) and is lighter (because what?)

When I have seen similar tires in D and E load range on the trail, the D's offer more sidewall flex at the same tire pressure. The e's had to be deflated lower to get the same traction and footprint/flex. The e's can be deflated so much that they risk slipping on the bead and becoming out of balance when driven back on the hiway again.

10 ply rating is no longer used but some manuf. still say it in addition to saying the DOT required load range (C, D, E, whatever). They are heavier & don't conform quite as well because they rubber is thicker. Still 3 ply sidewall? Yes. Much thicker sidewall? Yes! I'll take a thicker sidewall over a slightly more conforming tire every time. Wait till you see Big Bend. THAT is what E range tires are for!

The offroad tire market is extremely competitive *and* lucrative at the same time?

You just said in an earlier post that the only difference is a tire that conforms better (how? if it's only the bead thickness as you claim?) and rides better (again... why?) and is lighter (because what?)

Yes, I would call the offroad tire market lucrative AND competitive. There are way more options now for aggressive all terrains and mud terrains than there were 15 years ago and no one develops and brings a new tire to market unless there is money to be made. You cant go to the mall and spit without hitting an SUV or truck with an MT on it even if it never sees dirt.

I didnt say the only place was the bead thats got more material/beef to it but no manufacturer touts the extra rubber as contributing to a tougher tire. I said i dont know where the extra weight goes...I DO say go as "light" a rating as your weight carrying will allow for the reasons i said and @inkpot reiterated. I dont fill up past 35 psi on the street so why do i need a tire that can go to 80?

Notice that the largest and most offroad oriented tires from the big three (BFG, Goodyear, Toyo/Nitto) in the 39" and 40" are C rated tires. The Krawler KX, the Goodyear MTR "Rock Spider", and the Nitto K-Spec Trail Grappler are all only offered in a " C ply"...

Nothing wrong with load range "E", but for reference I have 40" pro comp mt2 that are only available in C rating. Still rated to haul 3200lbs a tire and the sidewalls flex awesome aired down. I would say the main reason you're having so much trouble finding a tire other than load range "E" is just the uncommon size. So much more available when you step into the 17" rim.

Okay, so it sounds like most agree that the D will flex better than E, and C better than D. To that end I originally wanted C, couldn't find any then figured I'd be stuck with D. Turns out even D is hard to find. This isn't a tow rig. The idea is a low-budget family rock crawler.

So now that we've fully established the advantages of a lower ply rating, can anyone suggest a tire with a lower ply rating in the 315x75r16 size? I think a 35x12.5r16 Maxxis Trepador would be ideal (comes in load rage C), but it is too expensive. I'm hoping to stay under or around $250/tire.

Edit: I guess the C Trepador is bias ply, I want a radial, but the radial is D.

I'm seeing the discussion about whether the E rated tire actually provides additional strength. From my experience, I'd like to take the opposite approach... comfort. The C rated Duratracs on my Tacoma felt pretty much identical to my E rated Duratracs on the Landcruiser.

@OREGON85 If I can't tell the difference from the driver's seat, I wonder if it's a big enough deal for you to worry about. If there's a tire that you want, based on tread pattern, design, etc, I'd say just go for it.

(all opinions expressed in the above statement are not representative of IH8mud.com. "The forum" and "community" cannot be held responsible for the above statements. Follow directions. Please drink responsibly.)

When I was searching for new tires, I too got hung up on D vs E. The E tires seems heavier duty but at the cost of ride quality with D being softer and more conforming. This is not true. My previous 295's were Hankook Dynapro MT's. On the street, the tires rode very hard and I could feel every bump and expansion joint. Offroad, they were comfortable only when aired down to 18psi. That's part of the reason why I could not convince myself to go to an E rated tire. Eventually I gave up looking for a 315 D rated tire and purchased Cooper STT Pros. The Coopers are softer, significantly more comfortable, perform better offroad, have more sidewall protection, and built tougher than the Hankooks.

Get a quality tire and you won't have to worry about whether it is D or E rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom