315 MTRs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post and a tire question which I just know is a favorite of this board. My delema is that my 94 FZJ80 need tires on now but I will not be installing a lift until Spring. I want to run 315 MTRs, so my question is can I run these tires on a just the streets without major rubbing until I install the lift? I absolutly know I cannot wheel with these tires and the stock set up so I'm just asking about street driving. I have a friend that's running 305 on a stock 80 with no problems but what about the 315s?

Heffenoche,

I'll let others speculate on the "will it work" question. My comment is to be sure you know that you need to have a 35" spare or risk expensive damage if you have to change a tyre. A 315/75R16 will not fit in the stock spare location so you'll have to do something with the spare.

The other thing you need to think about is the performance impact of going to a 35" tyre without regearing. You'll need 4.56:1 gears in the diffs to return the vehicle to stock performance. Larger tyres throws off the speedometer and the odometer.

Welcome to the 80/100 section here on IH8MUD!

-B-

315/75/16 tires will be about 2 inches taller than 305/70/16 tires and about 3/8 of an inch wider. Look at your friends rig with the tires in turns, ETC, and add an inch to the edge of his tires. See if it looks like they will hit.

Thats the best I can come up with.... :-\

I don't think you could get away with it but if you want to try, Adjust your bump stops prior to installation and drive like an old lady til the springs.

I run 315s and had very slight rubbing initially. It wasn't from twisting the suspension as you might think but from hitting a bump equally accross the axle and having the nose drop. The tires rubbed on one of the inner wheel well bolt located at 12:00. This was prior to installing bump stops out of a FJ62.

As B said there is alot to do just too get those 315 comfortable. Gearing and storage to begin with. If you elect to go lower than 4.56 to say 4.88s then a recalibrator would be needed to correct the speedo.

I've gone that route and glad I did. However my performance for 2 years suffered because of funding and carrying that big ass tire in the back really cramped the truck.

why do you have to have 315's. Tires as small as 285's look good on a lifted 80. just go with a 285, 295 or 305 if the the 315's wont work

Could've sworn Steve Laird used to tote his spare 315 around in the stock, under-the-bed tire location. Musta been a 305 before he went to 315s... ???

-Garth

[quote author=Heffenoche link=board=2;threadid=9754;start=msg85782#msg85782 date=1073431013]
This is my first post and a tire question which I just know is a favorite of this board. My delema is that my 94 FZJ80 need tires on now but I will not be installing a lift until Spring. I want to run 315 MTRs, so my question is can I run these tires on a just the streets without major rubbing until I install the lift? I absolutly know I cannot wheel with these tires and the stock set up so I'm just asking about street driving. I have a friend that's running 305 on a stock 80 with no problems but what about the 315s?[/quote]

Dude, like how much crack was in those wheaties this morning? :flipoff2: Just kidding.

Like dude though, like frickin A you are looney tunes. To properly run 35's you want to do more than just add a standard lift. How can you decide you want 35's without knowing what you will have to change? I know this sounds harsh, but it just sounds crazy eddie like. It's like Paris Hilton is coming to my house tonight and the hausfrau is cool with it. It's like not replacing the toilet paper on the roll before Woody comes to visit.

If you are doing this for looks only, then go with 285's. Otherwise wait and do it the right way.

35's and no lift. ::) ::)

NO NO Junk, Paris is at my house tonite,she's not coming to your house til tomorrow nite,remember?......

doug(guilty of shameless post padding tonite)

Dude, what on earth is wrong with crack? :D I would think you would agree. You must really think that you’re clairvoyant if you think you know that I have no other plans to modify my truck.

Since I’m new here let me tell you a little about myself. Although I’m not the most knowledgeable person around , this is my third Land Cruiser in eleven years and yes I have wheeled a few times. So no I’m not suggesting these tires for looks alone. If I wanted that I would slam my truck down in the weeds and add some nice chrome spinners, just thought you’d like that visual. So I’m well aware that there are other things I need to do to properly run 315s, although I’m sure not all.

I know it’s loony to change the tires first but I need tires right now wanted to avoid buy two sets of tires in the same year. Thanks everyone for the input and thanks Junk for the comic relief…Paris Hilton at your house, now that’s funny. ;)

[quote author=Heffenoche link=board=2;threadid=9754;start=msg85982#msg85982 date=1073449598]
So I’m well aware that there are other things I need to do to properly run 315s, although I’m sure not all.
[/quote]

Only a few grand worth of upgrades to make the lift safe and able to keep those bi meats happy.

Get 285s or bite the bullet and do it right....

I can totally sympathize with wanting to go to the 315s right away. Tires are expensive and buying them two or three times as you upgrade other items can waste a lot of money. I'm running 35s on my 91. I run a full 35" spare tire in the stock location. I have to push it forward to clear the hitch but other than that and the low clearance it creates it is doable for street use. I'm running J springs alone on the 91 and other than hitting my rear mudflaps once in awhile I do not have clearance issues. However, I believe the 91/92s are a different beast. I think the motor variance is enough that the springs give a bit more lift than with the 93-97s. And I am running weird wheels which really help dealing with the bigger tire size. I really do not think you can run 315s without a lift. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and buy at least the springs, shocks and the caster correction (and I realize the caster won't be perfect). $700 should get you set there. Then you can go nuts and buy the $1100 worth of 315s.

Eric,
You're running 315/75R16 BFG MT km's right? One of those will fit in the stock spare location?

I'm really surprised because on my 97 there would be no way (that I could see) for a 35" tyre to fit under there. There was barely enough room for a new 285/75R16 with 1/2" and maybe 1" space. Is your spare tilted or something? Can you post pics?

-B-

I run 35x12.50x15 MT KMs on the 91 and the spare works in the stock location. It does hang down further than what I feel is acceptable for real off road, but for highway driving it is OK. It does have the swaybar. I think the difference is that the exhaust is routed differently. Maybe there is a crossmember difference? Also, has anyone noticed that the swaybars changed from a mount below the frame to a mount on the side of the frame and then back to mount below the frame. My dad's 97 and my 91 are the same and the 94 is different.

Eric

How does the 91 handle the 35's for standard driving? Can you go over any hills? at speed?

Joe

That's because BFG 35's are 28.5" tall :flipoff2:.

Eric lives in a very flat area :).

Ok, I have a few pics of a stock 80 and 35 inch tires. NO I do not wheel with these tires. I just wanted to see if they would fit with no lift. So yea the stock set up on an 80 is pretty good considering other makes need a lift just to get 31” tires on. I wouldn’t recommend wheeling with this set up but you could very well drive on the street with them. The big tires are Mickey Thomson Baja Claw 35x13.5-16LT-6 and the others are Michelin LTX M/S 275/70R16. :cheers:

Great…. I shrunk the pics down to 83, 84, 87 & 89kb and I guess I still need to shrink them more. Hold on. ???

An Error Has Occurred!

The upload folder is full.

[quote author=Scott_sFZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=9754;start=msg86382#msg86382 date=1073518263]
An Error Has Occurred! [/quote]

Phat Max strikes again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom