315 MTRs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Riley,
Let me ask the question more specifically. How aggressive is this stuff? If you're doing some rough stuff, and have a second set, then I say to make them aggressive regardless of the 7 hr round trip. That said, you could be miserable if you're only doing fire roads that sometimes get nasty when wet. If that's the case, then get some mt/r's. Seriously, it's hard to tell without knowing more. I know you may have said it in previous posts, but I can't remember.

For me, 3-1/2 hrs is the furthest I've driven non-stop with the bias ply swampers on. I usually trailer mine though, so it depends on your situation.

We I've been thinking hard and I just can't see driving that far on swampers. These trails are a lot more rough than fire roads (I think). Even in the dry season the trails require a 4x4 with lots of clearance and articulation. Lot's of deep ruts and holes and then off camber hills ect....

I've never been in there when it's been really wet but I bet it gets kind of soft because of the ruts that I see. If the MTRs don't cut it then I'll just have back off and adjust what season I head in there.

I bet most of the guys heading in there in the wet season don't have swampers either (just a hunch).

R

Just thought I'd give a little status on MTRs for those newbies like myself. Having only owned AT tires before (never a MT tire) I was pretty worried about how loud these would be on the highway.

I just got them installed on the weekend and haven't yet taken them off-road yet but on the highway - WOW I'm really surpised how quiet they are for a tire with lugs that size. Very cool. I was pretty worried about my wife's response but she didn't even comment on size/noise level. BTW - mine are 305/70

They seemed a little "twitchy" when quickly changing lanes at speed on the highway but other than that they are pretty tame on the road. I'm very happy. I wonder if when they get old and the rubber hardens up will they get louder?

They will get louder as they age. Not necessarily because they "harden". It will be more from the wear pattern they develop. As they age you will notice that they will get "lumpy" and they may "rumble" as you come to a stop. All the mud type tires with open tread that I have ever run have done this to me when they age.

Swamper Truxus MTs. 16's are 10ply and sound good on road and work well off.

I know people running them and I will be next...if I can stop replacing major systems on my truck :D

I heard that the Mickey Thompson tires don't preform as well as BFG. Anyways, I wouldn't go with the 315's until I were to have the lift. If you were trying to make a u-turn, forget it, ur not going to make it. I wouldn't sacrifce the ride on the road for some bigger tires. 315's will cause a lot of problems w/o a lift. 305's will look nice even with the lift. My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom