315 MTRs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Scott-

How do you like those Mickey Thomson tires? They look pretty sweet!! ::)

How do they hold up on the road? Do they last as long as the BFG tires?

Thanks Matt

Matt
Thanks, they do look rather nice but I couldn’t tell you how long they last because the farthest I’ve gone is to the end of the block and back. I only put them on out of curiosity to see if they would fit, I’m just waiting for the family budget to come around for the lift. I just ordered the Hanna sliders, should be here in a week or so.
Landtank
That’s a good idea; I’ll take another shot with the corners up as soon as I get done with another project I’m working on. Hey, maybe I’ll save it for when I get my sliders… he he :beer: :D :beer: :D

It’s a ’93 but I do believe that he has them for the latter years 80s also. If you look closely at his pics you can see the different cats on the trucks http://www.hannaquality.com/index1.html

White letters on rear mudflaps = 93 ;)

Ken does have them for 95 up. Warthog posted some shots of his a while back.

D-

Rick

Here is a picture of my 96 with the Hanna Sliders...................

Joe

Scott maybe I didn't understand you , but why did you order sliders for a non-wheeled truck , but neglect the lift ? Or is that the 'tires' are not wheeled , and you use the girley boots for wheeling ?

They look damn nice though ! What wheels are those ? 058's or MT Classic II's ?

Tyler

Tyler, thanks they do make the truck look a lot more aggressive. The wheels are made by MB motoring http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbm070.mm.xl.jpg I originally planed on the sliders first, lift second and tires third but then I got a good deal on the tires so I skipped the lift but will wait on wheeling with the tires because they are just too big to wheel without the proper lift. Yea I get worried every time I go out that I will puncture the sidewall of those LTX they are great for the highway but I’m really pushing my luck to the extreme on the trails. The really neat thing is I get to impress everyone in my local club on just how far a stock 80 can go even if you just drove it right off the dealership lot and on to the trails. Not one trip goes by where I haven’t said “Man this thing is cool!” :D

Back To Top on the MTRs....

I guess it's common knowledge but what's the word on the MTRs in the mud? I know we don't like mud but I've got to contend with it sometimes (more than I like). I've homed in on the MTRs in a 305/70 as a second set of tires (next to the LTX). I know Junk will tell me that I'm nuts to not go with swampers but it's 3 hours to my playground so good road manners are important.

Anyway just how bad is the MTR in the mud. I've tried searching but no specifics, just a few off-hand comments. Even had trouble finding an appropriate thread that I could BTT.

Riley

edit - I guess I should be more specific on the application. We are not talking about deep boggy stuff but greasy trails with some mud holes that aren't too deep. My 60 with AT tires (and no lockers) would have trouble the odd time when I was in the dryer weather. With my locked 80, I'd like to head over those trails with confidence in the wet season. With confidence I mean wheeling alone with my 14 year old son along side. I know, I know I need a winch but after I get stuck once, I'll be able to get one. ;)

[quote author=Warthog link=board=2;threadid=9754;start=msg86319#msg86319 date=1073511966]
Eric

How does the 91 handle the 35's for standard driving? Can you go over any hills? at speed?

Joe
[/quote]

I'm still laughing at Cruiserman's comment about it being very flat where I live. In town the 35s are fine. I really cannot tell the difference between them and the 33s I had on prior to them. I've driven it quite a bit on the interstate and I find myself in 3rd a lot. Unless it is really flat OD is pretty useless. I typically drive between 72-78 mph on the interstate. Our speed limit is 75 and my Cruiser seldom works. I towed a trailer to Colorado last summer. 1800 lb tent camper loaded with junk (2 large dogs, a 6 month old and all of his gear, tools, C02 tank etc...) I pretty much drove between 68-72mph. But I could have gone faster. I was travelling with a Cummins with a 40 on the trailer and how he was geared 72 was about as fast as he could go. Really I would not recommend it. I tolerate it because my 3FE is going to be replaced some day. And if I go diesel I want to keep my OD rpms really low (22-2300rpms) on the interstate. Top speed is somewhere just under 90 mph, but that would be on the flat or maybe even downhill. Not something I've done too much.

The MTR would fine in mud, but do pack up some in the deeper stuff. There was a article in one of the 4x4 mags that the MTR did not fare as well as some of the other. The BFG MTko did much better, the trxus did better, the swamper and bogger was at the top. I never had a real problem in the little bit of mud we see here in colorado. With any mud tire you will need to air down to a low pressure to get the best benifits. later Robbie

Riley, I'll put it to you this way. 2 years ago I went wheeling with a dude that had an identical setup as me except for tires and my superior knowledge of the universe :D. I had TSL Swampers and he had lil ole mt/rs. It was wet and we were at PAP doing a hill climb. He's sitting there locked front and rear not going anywhere. Tries to crawl it. Tries to juice it and everything in between. Finally tucks his tail behind his legs and backs down. I say I want to try. Totally open, crawl right up it, pause near the top then finish crawling open. He didn't believe me. I pulled around, got out, and told him to drive the truck. He walked right up no problem being open. He now wheels with Swampers :D.

Moral of the story, Swampers .... cause everything else just sucks. :flipoff2:

That said, if you need something for street and trail, then that is a different story. But to me, I have 2 sets of tires, so there is no reason not to get the most aggressive I can for the trail.

Ok Junk, sounds fine. 2 sets is the plan. Now assume that:

- The favorite trail is 3.5 hours away on a fast highway,
- I'm gonna put on the mud tires at home (not gonna trailer them, that sucks),

Still go with the swampers considering all that highway driving? How far is your off-road haunts from home?

It a funny problem because it's 3.5 hours of highway and then 1 hour of offroad to some of my favorite places to camp. 75% highway and 25% off-road. even though I'm planning on running 2 sets. Maybe I should just move.

I'll go look again at the swampers.

Thanks for the advice and sorry to keep asking the same old dumb question. It's a lot of $$ and I'm only doing it once.

Riley

Scott:

That cruiser is way too shiny. You really need to get it dirty. :D

What are decent All Terrain Tyres on Road? - Will do some measuring to see if 315/75 R16's fit with just ARB Flares on a RV Specification FZJ80. :cheers:

Also how significant is the extra amount of Clutch you have to do to get 315's rolling? ???

clutch? clutch?
no such thing in the good ole' USofA!
:D
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom