3:1/4:1 gears in a split case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the AA 4:1 gears. As noted above though, the hi range is actually a 10% underdrive. I have an H55, and 4.10 gears in the diffs, running 35's. I love this combo. I rarely use 1st, it's low enough I can get out and walk very slowly alongside. 3rd low range is usually what I start off in and it's pretty versatile.

I would address the motor mounts too for anyone going with significantly lower geared Tcase. At least chain or improve the motor mount on the drivers side.
I bought a stock DS motor mount, cut off the bolts, drilled it, then thru-bolted it in place. It's bomber.

Thanks for the ongoing support, patronage and referrals guys!!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I have the AA 4:1 gears. As noted above though, the hi range is actually a 10% underdrive. I have an H55, and 4.10 gears in the diffs, running 35's. I love this combo. I rarely use 1st, it's low enough I can get out and walk very slowly alongside. 3rd low range is usually what I start off in and it's pretty versatile.

Hows the noise? Would you run them in a daily driven truck?

@orangefj45 do you have any other customers running the H55F and 3.70's with the 3:1 or 4:1 gears?

Has anyone here clearanced their own tcase to fit the gears? The FZJ80 guys simply clearance their cases with an angle grinder as the interference is rather small. (i've helped do two of their cases). There are tons of write ups on it with great directions. The 60 series gear manufacturers don't really help us do it ourselves. Now I'm sure I could figure it out but I am trying to grasp whether it is a clearance cut that bobby joe in his garage can do or if it's more complex and requires a precision mill / fixturing.

Hows the noise? Would you run them in a daily driven truck?
I noticed gear whine when they were first installed. I now have ~10K miles on them and maybe I've gotten used to it, but I think it's much better now. And, the noise is only noticable on the freeway. Around town I never noticed it. The gears are otherwise invisible, so DD is fine.

Just like any other aftermarket Tcase gear set, you can and will experience some gear noise/whine when that particular gear set is "powered" ( in use ). Since the 4:1 gear sets for the split case are always turning, you can expect some mild gear noise.

A number of people have attempted ( with some good and some poor results ) to clearance the cases themselves. Unlike the HF2A cases that only need to be ground in one single non-critical area, the split cases need to be clearanced for two gears in a total of 8 locations and the case ends up with 3 fairly thin spots ( that won't weaken the case ). I would advise to have them machined by somebody who's familiar with the subject matter, instead of attacking with an angle grinder ……

We can certainly do the machine work for you as well as supply the gear sets and rebuild kits.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I’ve got the 3:1 gears in my split case. Clearanced the case myself which wasn’t hard as it was only one spot if I am remembering correctly. Only issue I have had besides whine and the twin sticks making racket above 70mph, is the oil slinger that attaches to one of the gears got sheared off somehow. Didn’t notice it until I tore down for transmission replacement.
My combo in the 80 is Cummins 6BT/NV4500/Splitcase. I don’t wheel it very hard compared to others.

Georg,
Thank you for the specific details regarding the tcase clearancing. I hate paying for things I can do myself. The case machining sounds a bit more than I care to chew off. Once I find that big bag of money I'll give you a call.

Thanks for the mention!

We (Cruiser Outfitters) stock the 3:1 3.3:1 and 4:1 gear sets for the Split-Case in both 34mm and 38mm variety.

You can read more about them here on Mud:

We can also prebuilt BRAND NEW split cases with the low range gears and 5 speeds 🆒

You can read more about those here on Mud too:

Buzz us @ CruiserOutfitters if we can help with your gearing needs!

IMG_4949.JPG

Thanks for putting up that chart @hoser, that's great info!

Georg

Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I have a bunch of numbers... if anybody likes numbers...
(let me know if you see any errors)

View attachment 1916933

That is great.

Any chance you want to add the 3.1:1 & OE 2.2956 ratio too?

Actual tooth counts are shown here:

I want to do one that relates high range/low range axle gearing and tire size for the effective gear ratio as we've done for the 80 Series.

Updated and brought calculations out to the thousandths decimal place using Kurt's figures. (results in tenths.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom