2nd bench seat row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears that 2nd row doesnt have separate middle section! How do you go skiing with 2 kids without mounting roof box? Or mounts? Now with 17mpg and roof air drag i am sure it will drop to 14.

1000027230.jpg

It appears that 2nd row doesnt have separate middle section! How do you go skiing with 2 kids without mounting roof box? Or mounts? Now with 17mpg and roof air drag i am sure it will drop to 14.

View attachment 3505982
Roof box seems crazy extreme. Ski Racks do exist. lol

View attachment 3505982
Wouldn’t you just lower the other side so you would have the side and middle seat for the kids, then put the skis down the single seat side?

My 188cm skis fit just fine in my 4runner without folding any seats. Diagonal from the rear driver's side corner at the hatch door to laying over the rear passenger right side seat. If you're still rocking 200+cm skis, you may have a problem.

Wouldn’t you just lower the other side so you would have the side and middle seat for the kids, then put the skis down the single seat side?
Yes then would have to put drywall between kids if they sit shoulder to shoulder. Ski rack is extra 4-5 " of flat resistance and noise for whole winter season

My 188cm skis fit just fine in my 4runner without folding any seats. Diagonal from the rear driver's side corner at the hatch door to laying over the rear passenger right side seat. If you're still rocking 200+cm skis, you may have a problem.
But if you go with 4 skis total?

Seems to work fine for me with up to 3 pair of adult size skis. They do make hitch mount racks, Lexus TX, Suburban, Yukon XL, Navigator L...
Thx. I will try that in my 200 series next time. I might just go with lx600

With two kids better plan on skis mounted on the outside. By the time you toss all the boots and other crap in the back I doubt you’ll want to pile in 4 pairs of skis regardless of length. We only have one kid but I’m sure I’ll simply suggest we take the wife’s Outback to ski. I don’t want all the ski parking lot risk of damage anyway.

I’m going to assume the new trucks have far better aerodynamics but for the record my RTT didn’t make any difference to mpg on my 80 series.

Last edited:
That's kinda lame. Small cost cutting in places vs the 4Runner and outgoing GX. The folding design is also a big step back in utility.

My issue is garage height. Most parking garages are around 6'8". On and off with a rack or box to park at work isn't a great option.

Hope the 4runner is better.

View attachment 3505982

I guess I don't get the issue, my 100 series has the same set up.

Roof box seems crazy extreme. Ski Racks do exist. lol
Boxes are far superior to racks, in my experience with both. Versatile: since it’s just an enclosed space, you can put whatever you want in there not just skis, so camping gear whatever in road trips Enclosed: No corrosive road grime on the skis. Easier to load: literally just toss the skis and boards up there without having to arrange them to fit. Higher capacity than most regular ski racks.

That's kinda lame. Small cost cutting in places vs the 4Runner and outgoing GX. The folding design is also a big step back in utility.

My issue is garage height. Most parking garages are around 6'8". On and off with a rack or box to park at work isn't a great option.

Hope the 4runner is better.
Overtrail
Height
76.18 in
I dont think there is any roof rack that is 3". I dont know if overtrail spec height is with or without rails. This is one reason why i didnt lift my 200

Boxes are far superior to racks, in my experience with both. Versatile: since it’s just an enclosed space, you can put whatever you want in there not just skis, so camping gear whatever in road trips Enclosed: No corrosive road grime on the skis. Easier to load: literally just toss the skis and boards up there without having to arrange them to fit. Higher capacity than most regular ski racks.
Yes i box is great. I take it for long whistler ski trips but on daily basis for local mountain and ability to go in garages its a hassle

Don’t buy it? They still make tundras and Tacoma’s

Parking garages are another reason to take my wife’s Outback. Not something we deal with locally at Purgatory but Vail/Telluride/Park City, none of those are Cruiser friendly. Nor Las Vegas for that matter. One vehicle can’t always do it all. And like ^Krice said if daily family duties are on the list a Tacoma might be better.

Agreed that its lame. It’s one of those things that you never think about but is great to have when you need it.

Oh no not the road grime that hits your skis for 30 minutes the 2 times the op goes skiing. I ski about 30 plus days a year. Been doing it for 30 years. Had boxes, ski racks and stored skis inside of my vehicle. Never been worried about road “grime”. If a box is your only solution good. But don’t complain about gas mileage. These are all first world problems .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom