Builds 2F Retirement/ Vortec Resto-Fresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally time to post up a build thread for my '84 FJ60!

Over the last 6 months I've been acquiring parts to swap the drive train to a GM 5.3l with 4L60E auto trans. I've read and researched the many useful threads here and elsewhere on the interweb until my eyes were crossed and blurry but until two weeks ago had not turned a wrench. This is easily my most ambitious cruiser project to date and will require me to 'up my game' mechanically to pull it off successfully. My hope with this thread is to invite advice (or criticism) from the pros and veteran swappers out there, leave something useful behind for the next guy and just entertain the rest of you.

Thanks already to MANUCHAO, dbleon, djwahir, M1A1cruiser, MarkN, and orangeFJ45 (sorry if I’m forgetting anyone) for the great advice and information so far. I would never have taken this on if it weren’t for the great people of this forum.

So let’s get into it…

Last edited:
Background

I’ve owned this 60 for a little over 4 years now and have been daily driving it for the last 2 years. I’ve never seen a power steering pump leak as bad as this one did when I first got her. That coupled with a horribly tuned carburetor was enough to scare off any other potential buyers and I was able to pick it up pretty cheap. She was super clean inside and out with the exception of some mild body damage on the front quarter and front bumper with about 164k on the clock.

The original craigslist photo:
viewattachment-12.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the PS pump with an old Volvo Saginaw unit which has worked out great. Of course the smog pump was already near death so I sourced a used one from a fellow Mudder. I sent the carb off to Mark A. of Mark’s Off-Road in SoCal for rebuilding and replaced all the vacuum lines with new stuff from boostcontroller.com. Suddenly I had a great running, reliable 60!

We started driving it on the weekends a lot:
viewattachment-11.jpg
viewattachment-1.jpg

The original leaf springs in the rear were pretty much dead flat and the right front side shock was broken. So I bought a set of new OEM replacement shocks (such a good value!) and Man-a-fre ‘add-a-leafs’ for the rear and replaced all the bushings. This had an interesting effect on the ride. Both softer and harder at the same time!
viewattachment-4.jpg

I didn’t care for the stink bug effect that resulted so I added front AAL’s. This gave it a better stance but a bone jarring ride. Sometimes we sacrifice comfort for the sake of looking good :meh:.

About the same time I had a tire blow out on one of our weekend trips so I used this as an excuse to ditch the 31’s and upgrade wheels and tires. Got some 33” BFG AT’s on Level8 trackers (Discount Tire).

Love these tires and the rims are great. Sometimes I wish I had got the polished aluminum instead of black.

viewattachment-6.jpg
IMG_0010.JPG

By this time the 60 had become my daily driver. I was driving it 30-40 miles to work a day. Once a month or so my wife and I would drive up to the family cabin – about 220 miles round trip. As much as I love my rig and respect the engineering that went into it I eventually came to the realization that many of us have – the 2F does not have enough power! Every freeway on-ramp, every steep grade seemed like such an effort for the old girl. And hours of driving at 3000 RPM can kind of wear one down. The desire for V8 power took shape.

At the cabin:
IMG_0370.JPG

And look what followed me home one day!
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG

Last edited:
Read through some of the engine swap threads here. Check out cams swap thread over in the ms clubhouse area

I'm following too. I dont know if "reasonable cost" is a phrase applicable to Cruisers. That's one reason mine has sat on jack stands in a heated garage for the last 7 years. How about a group buy on Erod kits? [emoji3]

The Plan

So last December on my way to work the clutch went out. Finally the impetus I needed to get into this project!

The general plan is:
  • 2005 5.3l GM Vortec
  • Matching 4l60E mated to Toyota split-case via AA adapter
  • FULL EMISSIONS COMPLIANT swap
  • In-tank pump
  • DIY factory harness modification? Still debating which way to go here
Also:
  • OME 2.5" lift
  • 4 runner calipers
  • Dynamat (or equal) the interior
  • Clean and refurb carpets
  • Some new upholstery
  • Freshen the paint (full respray?)
  • Sliders
  • Full roof rack
Yeah, this seems ambitious on paper. But, as many have stated previously, its sure a lot cheaper than a new Tahoe, Yukon, etc. and a V8 Cruiser will kick those trucks asses any day of the week!

Finally rolled the engine into the garage:
IMG_0107.JPG

Getting Started

Couple things I wanted to do to this motor before tearing into the cruiser.

First, convert to a mechanical fan. Original motor was equipped with electric fans. I'll build a sweet shroud for it when the time comes.

Thanks to Manu for posting up the GM part #'s for the clutch and fan in this thread. They worked perfectly.

IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG

Next, picked up some Corvette C5 exhaust manifolds. You've seen these in lots of other threads. They were lightly used and in good shape but I got a little carried away and decided to blast and seal them with POR-15 Factory Manifold Gray. Product gets great reviews.

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG

Before I could install the new manifolds I had to remove a couple of broken manifold bolts. One of them required welding on a nut in order to remove. Research reveals this as a common problem with these motors and can cause troublesome exhaust leaks. GM updated the bolt to one of softer material that apparently can handle the thermal expansion without breaking. Picked up a full set of bolts and some new Fel-pro gaskets.

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

To minimize clearance issues I picked up a Camaro oil pan. Bought this off of E-bay and it included the new pick-up, windage tray, and dipstick. Picked up a new gasket to go with.

IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG

Last edited:
Transmission

Picked up a reman'd 2wd 4l60E from a local shop. Has the common upgrades- clutch packs, sunshell, etc.

Started installing the AA adapter 2 nights ago. Checked my measurement 20 times before cutting the output shaft - I could just see myself screwing this up. But it turned out all right!

Take my advice and make sure you install the VSS sensor before pressing in the spud shaft and bearing to the adapter or you'll be doing it twice in order to set the air gap.

So, this is where I'm at for now. Not much left to do but start tearing apart the 60!

IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Awesome! Looks good so far.

I'm in (what I hope are) the final stages of almost the same swap. Looks like you are starting out with all the right parts.

Is that adapter a recent purchase?

If so, you'll need to flip that bearing for the spud shaft around 180 degrees and install into the t-case. Double-check the drawings. They've changed the design slightly.

If not, you run into problems when the t-case goes back together.

I made the same mistake...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cams-fj60-is-gittin-a-heart-transplant.809304/page-10

You can also build the t-case onto the adapter on the bench and install the whole mess to the transmission. That made it easier for me.

EDIT: After looking closely and comparing pics it looks like you have the older style adapter (or an even newer version than mine), so it looks like you are good. The problem would have shown when you mated the two adapters together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom