Builds 2F Retirement/ Vortec Resto-Fresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So nice! Collecting parts for mine.
Did you replace the condenser? 134a or r12?
Replace all of it your compressor on your ls swap will be 134a

Yep, 134a in the new system and working great.

I bought a new Toyota OEM condenser about 2 years ago. In hindsight I could have gone with something modern and more efficient like @cruisermatt did on his 62. Might have been cheaper that way too.

Next time...

Time for some new seats! As mentioned earlier in the thread the BMW seats just sat too high in the cabin. It was not a natural or comfortable position. I think this is not a problem if you have an ‘85 or later as the floor mounts are different and lower.

I shopped around a lot and finally settled on the Bestop Trailmax II seats. I like these a lot, they have decent bolsters without being overdone, nice lumbar support and the size is perfect for the cabin of a 60 IMHO. They’re Designed to bolt up to CJ Jeeps but I figured I could come up with something to fit them into my truck.

View attachment 1888057

Fitting them into the cruiser was pretty straight forward. For anyone interested here’s a shot of one of the brackets I made with some dimensions:
View attachment 1888058

You’ll need four of these brackets that are made of 2” flat bar that are 3/16” thick. I drilled and tapped the flat bar to take the stock seat hardware (8mm x 1.25).

View attachment 1896824

The brackets attach horizontally to these holes in the seat bottoms:

View attachment 1888074

Nice job paving the way @cruiser enthuiser! Just finished my install. :)

IMG_9411.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9407.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

I'm looking for some BMW seats...any chance you still have them? Gray or black?

Do those bestop seats have adjustable lumbar? They look nice! 🍻
Nope, not adjustable. Fit me really nicely, been rocking them for 2 years and no complaints. For the money I think they’re tough to beat.

-Ed

How do these seats fit compared to the original ones height wise? I'm 6'3" and I'm worried my head might hit the ceiling, these are the best matching seats to the original interior that I've seen, theyve gone up in price a bit
When I installed mine I recall that they were damn close to the original seat height. Maybe 1/2” to 3/4” higher or so.

I'm only 5’8” and they're great for me. Maybe someone taller than me whose done this swap can chime in on their experience.

-Ed

Last edited:
These came out nice. I didn't see any mention of the difficulty of making the bracket. Can a newbee make these?
I don’t think it could get much easier. Buy some 2” flat stock, cut to length and drill and tap some holes. I posted the measurements earlier in this thread.

-Ed

Man i just came across your build and read all 17 pages. I have a white (1987) 60 too and am about 80% done with my 5.3 swap. Would have been nice to find your thread a little sooner haha but i have mostly used LS1tech and sites like that for my swap and not really much on this forum at all. I definitely used the spacers from the terrible AA adapter install instructions and had to get creative with my shifter lever extension. Didnt even think about not using them. That would have saved me a day haha

I Just wanted to say, my plan is to throw some JDM style 5 spokes on my cruiser too here soon when i go up to 35s, and i was kind of nervous on how it would look but after seeing yours im freaking sold on it. I was trying to find some 3 piece 5spokes such as work from Japan but having a hard time finding 16s in our bolt pattern so im going with the FN wheels. Im really digging what youve done with the interior too. Really really great work man. I kinda quit posting my build thread but definitely going to use your sound deadening foam idea for the interior and those seats rule.

Ive got a few more projects on deck after my motor swap, but would eventually like to try my hand at learning to paint the truck at my buddies paint booth. What color code did you go with? I think the 60s have two codes for white.

Man i just came across your build and read all 17 pages. I have a white (1987) 60 too and am about 80% done with my 5.3 swap. Would have been nice to find your thread a little sooner haha but i have mostly used LS1tech and sites like that for my swap and not really much on this forum at all. I definitely used the spacers from the terrible AA adapter install instructions and had to get creative with my shifter lever extension. Didnt even think about not using them. That would have saved me a day haha

I Just wanted to say, my plan is to throw some JDM style 5 spokes on my cruiser too here soon when i go up to 35s, and i was kind of nervous on how it would look but after seeing yours im freaking sold on it. I was trying to find some 3 piece 5spokes such as work from Japan but having a hard time finding 16s in our bolt pattern so im going with the FN wheels. Im really digging what youve done with the interior too. Really really great work man. I kinda quit posting my build thread but definitely going to use your sound deadening foam idea for the interior and those seats rule.

Ive got a few more projects on deck after my motor swap, but would eventually like to try my hand at learning to paint the truck at my buddies paint booth. What color code did you go with? I think the 60s have two codes for white.
Thanks for the compliments man, appreciate it! It’s certainly been a journey and I’m very happy with the truck. I haven’t been very active on Mud in a while, been busy with life, a new business, etc. so I feel ya there. With all the mods and improvements the cruiser is just a great, reliable vehicle that requires no special attention or messing around; it just starts and runs every time so there’s really not much to say about it 😎.

The wheels are amazing. If you go with these you will have no regrets. Lots of positive feedback on them from other Mud members around here. The paint is the stock color white for an ‘84. It’s a two stage paint and has a lot more luster than the original paint. However, I’ve picked up a ton of rock chips since getting it painted. If I were to do it again I would get a clear vinyl wrap to protect the critical areas immediately after painting.

Good luck with yours! If you want to compare notes or have specific questions just hit me up anytime.

Cheers!
Ed

Thanks for the compliments man, appreciate it! It’s certainly been a journey and I’m very happy with the truck. I haven’t been very active on Mud in a while, been busy with life, a new business, etc. so I feel ya there. With all the mods and improvements the cruiser is just a great, reliable vehicle that requires no special attention or messing around; it just starts and runs every time so there’s really not much to say about it 😎.

The wheels are amazing. If you go with these you will have no regrets. Lots of positive feedback on them from other Mud members around here. The paint is the stock color white for an ‘84. It’s a two stage paint and has a lot more luster than the original paint. However, I’ve picked up a ton of rock chips since getting it painted. If I were to do it again I would get a clear vinyl wrap to protect the critical areas immediately after painting.

Good luck with yours! If you want to compare notes or have specific questions just hit me up anytime.

Cheers!
Ed

Heck yeah man! I was wondering why it looked so shiny, you can definitely tell its not single stage, but like in a super good way. Good call on the vinyl wrap. Im beyond excited to get it all done. Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom