Diagnosing coolant leak freshly rebuilt 2F engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally wrapping up this rebuild project which of course turned into a rabbit hole. Replaced all coolant hoses, new Toyota OEM clamps, etc. Reinstalled radiator this morning, added coolant and fired her up, and I’ve got a steady drip coming down the front driver’s side of the engine. I removed the fan shroud, fan and clutch so I could get a better look with the engine running, and it’s leaking either at the top of the water pump, outer head gasket, or maybe the power steering bracket bolts??

Do any of the power steering bracket bolts happen to go thru coolant passages and need to be sealed?

New water pump was installed with a new gasket, and I used Toyota sealant on both sides of the gasket as well. Torqued the bolts to spec. I did tighten the water pump bolts a bit more just now to see if the leak slowed but don’t think there was a difference.

I read just now that the water pump bolts needed to be sealed, but didn’t see that in the factory manual. But even still it doesn’t seem to be leaking around the bolts.

No coolant in the oil or anything.

Hoping for the best here!

I’m reading now about others having to retorque the head bolts after a couple of starts. Hadn’t seen this before maybe thats the problem.

Coolant pressure testers are inexpensive and invaluable for diagnosis of leaks. Also, which gasket did you use for the water pump?

When I did mine, I replaced it with the gasket that the Aisin the pump came with, which was incorrect and leaked. I had to get the OEM Toyota gasket which only covers a portion of the pump to block sealing surface.

Coolant pressure testers are inexpensive and invaluable for diagnosis of leaks. Also, which gasket did you use for the water pump?

When I did mine, I replaced it with the gasket that the Aisin the pump came with, which was incorrect and leaked. I had to get the OEM Toyota gasket which only covers a portion of the pump to block sealing surface.

Yeah I think you are right on the water pump gasket. I can see the gasket at the top of the water pump which looks like the Aisin gasket so that's what I probably used.

Ugg dealing with this water pump w/ aux heat is the worst part of the job and now I've got to do it again!

Yeah I think you are right on the water pump gasket. I can see the gasket at the top of the water pump which looks like the Aisin gasket so that's what I probably used.

Ugg dealing with this water pump w/ aux heat is the worst part of the job and now I've got to do it again!
Yep, if it's the gasket that kind of outlined the profile of the pump, it's the incorrect gasket. The one you want only covers the holes and about half of the pump.
1706473872212.png

It's available from Toyota for like $3

Yeah I just unbolted the pump, and sure enough it was the wrong gasket. Cleaned everything up, left bottom hoses attached to the water pump which made it a much easier job, and reassembled with the correct gasket and sealant.

Still cannot believe I missed this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom