2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't take much to see a next gen 4Runner here.
1686328888799.png

I said the same thing when they debuted. Just call it a Bronco ffs and let me pick how many doors and accessories I want.
I gotta give Ford credit that naming and trims are overdone, but the really let you build it almost any configuration you want. And you can have it double locked on 35's with 300hp for $40k. It's hard for me to argue with the value they offer. I just need a few more years without a Ford until I forget how bad my last one was.

I gotta give Ford credit that naming and trims are overdone, but the really let you build it almost any configuration you want. And you can have it double locked on 35's with 300hp for $40k. It's hard for me to argue with the value they offer. I just need a few more years without a Ford until I forget how bad my last one was.

Sorry to day this but Ford knocked it out of the ball park with the Bronco

Choice of 2/4 doors
Manual transmission option
Soft top/hard top option
Diff lock option
Big tire compatibility
Sane diff ratios
Steel bumpers and good entry/exit angles

I'd wring my hands over potential ford reliability but at the end of the day I'd probably buy the ford......no chance I'd ever buy the GX

Sorry to day this but Ford knocked it out of the ball park with the Bronco

Choice of 2/4 doors
Manual transmission option
Soft top/hard top option
Diff lock option
Big tire compatibility
Sane diff ratios
Steel bumpers and good entry/exit angles

I'd wring my hands over potential ford reliability but at the end of the day I'd probably buy the ford......no chance I'd ever buy the GX
I agree. Ford has done really well in the last few years. I think the Maverick is excellent. And the Bronco is a home run. And it's already outselling 4Runner by almost double. So, it's a big win for Ford. A red 2 door Bronco heritage edition is something I really want. I'm not sure why specifically, but I just really love the whole package with the retro grill and white wheels. It's totally impractical, I already have a FJ40 I don't drive much, and still I want it in my driveway. It's just been less than a year since I sold my F250 that broke down about every other week and I'm still in PFSD (Post Ford Stress Disorder) mode. lol. I really hope Toyota takes either the 4R or new Land Cruiser that direction, but I think we'll end up with 4 of the same thing between LX, GX, 4R, and LC with nothing really comparable to the Bronco/Wrangler.

A Bronco is not a direct comparison to the GX. It's a much less versatile vehicle - significantly lower tow capacity, fewer creature comforts, etc. A Bronco is a Wrangler competitor, which shouldn't really be thought of as a GX/4Runner competitor as they occupy different spaces in the same market. The Bronco/Wrangler are no doubt great off-road vehicles, but also ooze the midlife crisis/mall-crawler vibe. There are tons of both running around here in SEMO and I pretty rarely see either on the trails (have yet to see a Bronco on a unpaved road but do see Wranglers from time-to-time).

I'd much rather have a GX with the better towing capacity, better road manners, better reliability, etc.

Between a Bronco and Wrangler it would be 100% Bronco for me. Ford reliability is not Toyota reliability but it's a heck of a lot better than Chrysler/Stellantis reliability.

A Bronco is not a direct comparison to the GX. It's a much less versatile vehicle - significantly lower tow capacity, fewer creature comforts, etc. A Bronco is a Wrangler competitor, which shouldn't really be thought of as a GX/4Runner competitor as they occupy different spaces in the same market. The Bronco/Wrangler are no doubt great off-road vehicles, but also ooze the midlife crisis/mall-crawler vibe. There are tons of both running around here in SEMO and I pretty rarely see either on the trails (have yet to see a Bronco on a unpaved road but do see Wranglers from time-to-time).

I'd much rather have a GX with the better towing capacity, better road manners, better reliability, etc.

Between a Bronco and Wrangler it would be 100% Bronco for me. Ford reliability is not Toyota reliability but it's a heck of a lot better than Chrysler/Stellantis reliability.

The GX is the anti land cruiser...its a rolling living room.......aside from the bronco not being a toyota....the bronco is more of a "land cruiser" wrt featured/function than the GX

If Toyota releases a "Lite" GX as a Land Cruiser my prediction is that its gonna bomb just like recent lexus lite lc's have which prompted the exit from the US market

Never underestimate Toyota USA's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Something that I have been wondering about after reading the press release.

"The 2024 GX will be offered in six grades: Premium, Premium+, Luxury, Luxury+, and all-new for Lexus, Overtrail and Overtrail+."

What's the plus?

It seems like they are placing the overtrail in between the base "premium" and top end Luxury trim. Is the overtrail essentially a chrome and 3rd row delete appearance package?

No mention of upgraded suspension/lift kit/ARB components like they did with the new tacoma trail hunter.

You are not wrong, BUT I would only offer Toyota reliability is not quite on par with previous generations, which completely changes the value proposition of toyota.

With what I see now with the engine option not significantly improving on the past V8’s . Why not go the other way with the LC, like the Raptor R and TRX.

Take the new GX, put a 70/80 Series body style on it, triple locked, split tailgate, and a Blown 5.7.

This would make the LC the top of the Toyota lineup again, even if the top trim Sequoia was more expensive and bigger.

With what I see now with the engine option not significantly improving on the past V8’s . Why not go the other way with the LC, like the Raptor R and TRX.

Take the new GX, put a 70/80 Series body style on it, triple locked, split tailgate, and a Blown 5.7.

This would make the LC the top of the Toyota lineup again, even if the top trim Sequoia was more expensive and bigger.

Stop making sense....its killing me

Why would Toyota USA want to make something that would totally and utterly sell out like the Bronco?

Better yet, offer it with a Diesel.....off the shelf Cummins with an optional MT with 350-400 HP and gobs of torque and people would go wild for it

Last edited:

They're close enough for me to think of them both in the same rough category generally, but not direct competition. Toyota really should build the GX and a more true Bronco/wrangler model. There's more variation in the Bronco lineup than there is between the 4Runner, LX, and GX. Functionally, the entire group could be covered by one vehicle with 4 trims and 2 powertrains. It's really just one vehicle.

I was told the sequoia will internally remain the top of line product post LC launch. Seems dumb to bring LC below Seq but it does I guess bring it back towards the roots of a more utilitarian package. My problem is I’m not the old school LC diehard many here are. My LC journey started with the 200 series so I’m a pampered glampin, boat ramp hogging, beer drinking son of a gun.

The GX is the anti land cruiser...its a rolling living room.......aside from the bronco not being a toyota....the bronco is more of a "land cruiser" wrt featured/function than the GX

If Toyota releases a "Lite" GX as a Land Cruiser my prediction is that its gonna bomb just like recent lexus lite lc's have which prompted the exit from the US market

Never underestimate Toyota USA's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
True.

Dedicating tons of resources to engineer one of the most robust overlanding/off road vehicles on the planet and marketing it as a fancy highlander to the whole foods/box wine mom demographic was asinine.

I like the GX, and based on what info we have, I am more interested in it, than a bronco.

With that being said, if they price the overtrail in the same price range as a bronco raptor, there is a zero percent chance that I would chose the gx over the raptor.

mid 60's "feels" where the overtrail should end up.

Anyone want to guess the over/under on ADM from the dealers once these start being delivered? Im guessing 20k over sticker for the Overtrail if you want to be one of the first.

I'm more interested in an off road capable vehicle that is as simple as possible that is to a large degree field serviceable like LC's have been previously

Good luck finding a modern field-serviceable vehicle of any type from any manufacturer.

Anyone want to guess the over/under on ADM from the dealers once these start being delivered? Im guessing 20k over sticker for the Overtrail if you want to be one of the first.

I make a point of never buying first year of a model.....no matter how much of the vehicle is from previous/shared models......first years are most problematic

How do you figure this? The GX is literally the Land Cruiser Prado with the Lexus trimmings. The Prado is the Light Duty Land Cruiser. Alongside the 200 Series the 150 Prado was/is one of the most well built, reliable, and capable vehicles on the market. I don’t see anything “anti LC” about it. It’s just been dressed up as a luxo wagon to appeal to the American buyer. Yes, the new GX550 will have prove itself a worthy successor to the 470/460 and LC’s of the past but I think Toyota has earned some benefit of doubt at this point.

The only thing a Bronco has in common with a LC is being a capable off roader. They look cool but that’s where it stops for me. Even my old 4Runner felt like a higher quality vehicle than the new Bronco I test drove.

How do you figure this? The GX is literally the Land Cruiser Prado with the Lexus trimmings. The Prado is the Light Duty Land Cruiser. Alongside the 200 Series the 150 Prado was/is one of the most well built, reliable, and capable vehicles on the market. I don’t see anything “anti LC” about it. It’s just been dressed up as a luxo wagon to appeal to the American buyer. Yes, the new GX550 will have prove itself a worthy successor to the 470/460 and LC’s of the past but I think Toyota has earned some benefit of doubt at this point.

The only thing a Bronco has in common with a LC is being a capable off roader. They look cool but that’s where it stops for me. Even my old 4Runner felt like a higher quality vehicle than the new Bronco I test drove.

I'm no ford fan and as I stated I have concerns about reliability

With that said.....

The GX wont support reasonable tire sizes, Bronco Will
GX has a ton of plastic begging to be torn off due to poor entry/exit angles......Bronco doesnt have that issue
Bronco offers locking diff and MT

GX is a rolling living room.....

Time will tell

I'm no ford fan and as I stated I have concerns about reliability

With that said.....

The GX wont support reasonable tire sizes, Bronco Will
GX has a ton of plastic begging to be torn off due to poor entry/exit angles......Bronco doesnt have that issue
Bronco offers locking diff and MT

GX is a rolling living room.....

Time will tell
That’s all fair and well. I just think you’re comparing apples to oranges here. Bronco is a purpose built off roader. It’s mission is to climb over rocks and stuff like that. The LC and GX have never been about that although that may change soon with whatever Toyota NA is cooking up for the 2024 LC.

That’s all fair and well. I just think you’re comparing apples to oranges here. Bronco is a purpose built off roader. It’s mission is to climb over rocks and stuff like that. The LC and GX have never been about that although that may change soon with whatever Toyota NA is cooking up for the 2024 LC.

I dont see it that way at all

Outside of the US market offerings, Toyota has offered actual land cruisers that lacked the fragile plastic bumpers, had good useable entry/exit angles and MT/Lockers were offered as options

Heck, even the US 60/62's and many of the 80's were better suited from the factory.

I hope I'm wrong but past performance from Toyota NA on this subject has been disappointing for decades which manifested in the form of miserable sales numbers and a departure from the US market because americans didnt want what they were trying to sell.

Ford has stepped up and made avail a winning combination......if Ford selling completely out of Bronco's is any sign.....Toyota would be best served by offerering americans something that better resembles the current non US 70 series to americans than the GX if they want to sell vehicles and revive the LC badging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom