Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
One week ago exactly, @gilmorneau unwittingly set this build thread in motion when he posted an HDJ80 series for sale. I needed the truck because it had a coveted center console that I could not find anywhere - figured I could part out the rest and recoup most of my money. It had a nice drivetrain with the 1HDFT, H151 and factory locking differentials. I was listing things out and realized the frame and axles would be really sweet for a 79 series build.

The next morning I was introduced to @cwwfj60 who happened to be holding onto this truck. A deal was struck and here we are.

The 2018 model showed up at @SNLC’s shop this afternoon and it was every bit as advertised. No engine/transmission/axles/assorted electronics. But otherwise a lot of cool features. The color is Toyota 4E9 and nicely tan.

E6E7FB8D-771F-4572-8DDD-1D8DC8734FFC.jpeg
7504C0FD-DDCC-444C-9F5E-DC7030048AE1.jpeg
C3FFCF28-9845-4307-8A7F-D541639532BA.jpeg
979A3BC0-D965-41FE-A01B-29CC759ED2DE.jpeg

We (@SNLC and @Onur) are currently contemplating motor options. I have a couple of HDFT’s and the new HDFTE. This truck was originally a gas burner but will live on as a diesel. Just not entirely sure which one. I am going to most likely run the H152 transmission and this truck came with the H150.

More to come.

Was it a theft recovery? Why else would it be so stripped? Anyway, what is there is in very good shape. I can see why you jumped on it quick.

8764E5E5-FE3E-479B-A1FC-2E13966A5DED.jpeg
A94E11BE-C1AC-4148-AAC6-B0068B0BE71C.jpeg
D3236032-AD56-429D-832A-4CEFB52F4B8C.jpeg
8F3D8011-69EB-4214-83CF-D83D6CFD42D4.jpeg

Let’s get this clear right out the gates. I am the builder, I won’t be posting anything about where it came from, why it is here, who did what or why. Nor will I be posting about any legality importation of/or whatever. And in all honesty we ALL should take those kind of discussions to a different thread, this thread is about the build. I have received a 2018 GR79 pickup body and I am going to build it. That is my contribution and angle. The rest I leave to others.

Cheers

Oooh, this is gonna' be good.

Oh, man, I feel like such an enabler!! lol

Super cool project. Subscribed, for sure.

We (@SNLC and @Onur) are currently contemplating motor options. I have a couple of HDFT’s and the new HDFTE. This truck was originally a gas burner but will live on as a diesel. Just not entirely sure which one. I am going to most likely run the H152 transmission and this truck came with the H150.

Not that you're putting it to a vote, or even soliciting opinions, but I'd say go for the 1HD-FTE. A nice new truck deserves a nice new motor.

Oh, man, I feel like such an enabler!! lol

Super cool project. Subscribed, for sure.

Not that you're putting it to a vote, or even soliciting opinions, but I'd say go for the 1HD-FTE. A nice new truck deserves a nice new motor.
Yea I think that is my line of thinking as well. I really wish I had ordered both of those FTE’s this past spring. That was foolish on my part. But the short block and head can still be bought new so that may be an option.

I bet Partsouq would ship us a new Toyota diesel V8.......but an FTE really is the way to go I think.

Yea I think that is my line of thinking as well. I really wish I had ordered both of those FTE’s this past spring. That was foolish on my part. But the short block and head can still be bought new so that may be an option.

I bet Partsouq would ship us a new Toyota diesel V8.......but an FTE really is the way to go I think.

Nice project!
A diesel V8 is what first came to mind. Lots of work, but do-able.
Either way, very cool!

Lockwood has entered the building.

Here we GO!

Epic build commenceth.

Nice project!
A diesel V8 is what first came to mind. Lots of work, but do-able.
Either way, very cool!
Yea the upside is all the stuff for the diesel V8 can be ordered new. It bolts right up to the H152 with no mods. Just a lot of electrical components whereas the FTE is so good for this truck. Looks like I’m going to have a couple of HDFT’s for sale soon.

speachless....

We can certainly do the VDJ but in my opinion not the best option simply because of complexity of install and maintenance in the future.

I am game though if that is what John wants to do.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom