2008 vs. 2013 Buying Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All significant upgrades for sure. Just meant that the forward camera is the one I'd most like to have...

Same here. I would have paid an extra couple grand for those options but not much more. My idea is to buy a 200 for $25k and buy one for $15-20k in a couple years (2 200s) and be better off than having one 2013 200 for $40-45k. The biggest issue is rust not the model year to me.

I had about a year of going back and forth on a 2011 or a 2013. At the end of the day I realized the 2013 had nothing I wanted.

Turn assist is cool, but for me to be in an area where I need to turn that hard, I'm probably in rocks and using my lockers. So I'd have to turn off my lockers, then unlock the center diff (which is on the second I hit dirt), then go into crawl control and activate turn assist. That's just more work in my opinion, plus I just can't get myself to trust crawl control in that tight of an area.

That's me though, I know how to wheel the old way (which isn't better, it's just what I know) with gearing, lockers, and awesome line selection. So the extra cost for a 2013 wasn't there.

Plus I hate cooled seats, there is no way I'm going to trust a camera on the trail when it gets rough to tell me where every obstacle is, I'm going to get out and check things, and the radar cruise control isn't for me.

Honestly, I wish I had the non upgraded 2008-2011 that didn't have DVD/navigation or the rainsensing windshield wipers or cool box.

I think if your plan is to keep it relatively stock, the 2013+ and the extra money that goes with them might be for you. If you plan on modifying, escpecially with lockers, then the extra money for a 2013+ can build a really nice 2008-2011.

I had about a year of going back and forth on a 2011 or a 2013. At the end of the day I realized the 2013 had nothing I wanted.

Turn assist is cool, but for me to be in an area where I need to turn that hard, I'm probably in rocks and using my lockers. So I'd have to turn off my lockers, then unlock the center diff (which is on the second I hit dirt), then go into crawl control and activate turn assist. That's just more work in my opinion, plus I just can't get myself to trust crawl control in that tight of an area.

That's me though, I know how to wheel the old way (which isn't better, it's just what I know) with gearing, lockers, and awesome line selection. So the extra cost for a 2013 wasn't there.

Plus I hate cooled seats, there is no way I'm going to trust a camera on the trail when it gets rough to tell me where every obstacle is, I'm going to get out and check things, and the radar cruise control isn't for me.

Honestly, I wish I had the non upgraded 2008-2011 that didn't have DVD/navigation or the rainsensing windshield wipers or cool box.

I think if your plan is to keep it relatively stock, the 2013+ and the extra money that goes with them might be for you. If you plan on modifying, escpecially with lockers, then the extra money for a 2013+ can build a really nice 2008-2011.

My thought on the forward camera comes from experiencing a bad spot on Hell's Gate... While I got out of it with no damage, it was a very limited scenario where I think if I could have seen the angles I was being led into...I would have "aborted" that spotter and either followed my own line...or just stopped...said, "you're fired" :) and been much better off. ;)

Coming down a mountainous switchback is the ideal spot for turn assist. Or a narrow forest.

Coming over a crest in Moab its nice to see the tire marks to follow in the camera. Especially since a lot of times there's a direction change at the top. Otherwise, yes, always scope an obstacle.

But, different strokes for different folks. I like my '13 options aside from leather.

Coming down a mountainous switchback is the ideal spot for turn assist. Or a narrow forest.

Coming over a crest in Moab its nice to see the tire marks to follow in the camera. Especially since a lot of times there's a direction change at the top. Otherwise, yes, always scope an obstacle.

But, different strokes for different folks. I like my '13 options aside from leather.
Yeah, total agree we all have to find what works for our own style. And I agree that the leather is a down side. I will eventually remove it for canvas.

For turn assist, I've only been on one trail in 15 years where that would of been beneficial. But again, if it helps someone with new growing experience get out and have fun, then it's the best driver aid out there.

I just wanted to offer the if you are a prior wheeler, it's probably not very necessary, and money could go to products that offer a lot more bang for the buck.

And for @Markuson, yeah I do think the front camera was beneficial, but not the side ones. Then knowing the 2013+ rear camera has guide lines that would be totally off when I relocated it for a tire carrier. I started thinking... a front camera is all well and good, but a front facing under the vehicle camera seeing the front tires is even better. Plus I could keep it on the whole time, not just in low range.

I just don't like being limited by safety features. I will eventually remove the head unit, integrate the factory climate controls into my head unit, then place rock cameras at locations to really help when in the rocks.

So back to my original point, if you want to modify, get the cheapest 200 you can find. If you want to do a simple lift and have a great time trail riding, then 2013+ has its benefits.

Haha just busting chops. :)

'13 for 39k
Haha I know, it's so hard to get the whole "playful sounding" oh stop it tony to make it on a message. Your one of the best on here.

But yea, $39k, where I paid $35 for my 2011, $4k is the total cost of gears and lockers.

So is turn assist, multi terrain select, and camera better than 4.88s and front and rear airlockers? That's only for the individual and their needs to determine.

I've also got a family and I want to retire early, so that was my "well, I know I'll modify" so I'll save it where I can.

This is everyone again:
Cost determines everything, I think we just need to make sure we have enough money left over to go enjoy a 200, versus having the most loaded one, unless you're rich or cool with a having a ton of debt, pshh, then get a '18 and send it to Slee, have the best 200 EVER!

Haha I know, it's so hard to get the whole "playful sounding" oh stop it tony to make it on a message. Your one of the best on here.

But yea, $39k, where I paid $35 for my 2011, $4k is the total cost of gears and lockers.

So is turn assist, multi terrain select, and camera better than 4.88s and front and rear airlockers? That's only for the individual and their needs to determine.

I've also got a family and I want to retire early, so that was my "well, I know I'll modify" so I'll save it where I can.

This is everyone again:
Cost determines everything, I think we just need to make sure we have enough money left over to go enjoy a 200, versus having the most loaded one, unless you're rich or cool with a having a ton of debt, pshh, then get a '18 and send it to Slee, have the best 200 EVER!

So true! Regarding cost though? Man, my rear bumper and front bumper literally paid for themselves in a single trip! Deer could have ended my trip on the second trail day in Moab...and my rear bumper miraculously saved my right rear panels on Hell's Gate. For me, armor is not about bling (though it definitely looks sweet IMHO). It's about protecting my truck and the money I hope to avoid spending in fixing un-armored stuff!

I just picked up a can of Semi-Gloss-Black rattle can and in about 10 minutes of wire-brush-drill-bit and paint-sponge-sticking...my armor is no worse for the wear! Love it...

Only armor-related thing I'm sad about? -I now have to return the BudBuilt stuff I was borrowing from @Taco2Cruiser in order to further beat up/test... :( Gotta love how BudB seeks to beat the crap outa stuff...tweak...beat more crap out of it...tweak...BEFORE bringing to market!

Last edited:
FWIW something to keep in mind is resale value, and a similar condition/miles 13+ is and will be worth a somewhat material amount more than an 08-11 truck. I think about and care about that more than most having owned 41 cars/motorcycles before I turned 34, but it's a real factor to consider as these things age. If you plan to keep for 10 years it matters less, but resale value should be considered as well as the upgrades you get with a 13+.

FWIW something to keep in mind is resale value, and a similar condition/miles 13+ is and will be worth a somewhat material amount more than an 08-11 truck. I think about and care about that more than most having owned 41 cars/motorcycles before I turned 34, but it's a real factor to consider as these things age. If you plan to keep for 10 years it matters less, but resale value should be considered as well as the upgrades you get with a 13+.

41 cars before age 34???

Splain, Lucy!

Wow, I was 31 when I bought my 3rd car (the land cruiser). How long do you plan on keeping your 200?

Haha, I'm probably close to that too but I've traveled a ton in the AF. I'm interested in hearing your excuse @mcgaskins. :)
...and another reason why I should of joined the Air Force.

41 cars before age 34???

Splain, Lucy!

I guess I do have some explaining to do. I have been obsessed with cars and motorcycles since I was very young and started working when I was 12 to be able to buy a motorcycle as fast as possible. I bought an old beat up Kawasaki, fixed it up, rode it a ton, then sold it for a small profit to move up to the next thing. I kept doing that over and over and never really stopped, and it's become my hobby I guess. The funny thing is I actually drove only 1 car and 1 motorcycle for about 6 years, so I'd be much higher in vehicle count if I hadn't taken a break from the hobby for those years. Not that any of that really matters, but I've gotten "good" at identifying some sweet spot vehicles and years/features of those vehicles that make them desirable and hold their value well which is why I focused on a 13-15 truck with only the best mods. Of everything I've owned, the 200 is in the top 3 vehicles and could actually be the best of them all.

I've owned a grand total of 7 vehicles (not counting my wife's cars, and I'm 49.

Two of them were Land Cruisers.

First car: Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel (Most gutless car of all time)
First NEW car: Honda Civic
Toyota Camry
Honda Civic #2
100 Series
Subaru WRX
200 Series

My overall thoughts on the 200 series is you can't go wrong no matter what year you buy, so ya got that going for ya! Now to break it down a little bit, I love the look of the outside of the 2008-2011 better! The inside updates to the 2013 are nice, not a game changer but def nice if the money is close. I've used turn assist a handful of times, on things like the switch backs on Black Bear pass and some of the tight switch backs on the mountain trails. Once you get use to it it's pretty much seamless. Plus turn assist is an awesome party trick at the ocean when you're having a who can make the smallest donut contest:) "Terrain select" is just a fancy name for adjust the sensitivity of your ATRAC system. So if you use ATRAC then you will love "terrain select" because it allows you to adjust how much help you want from ATRAC. Look at "terrain select" more like 1-5 sensitivity of your ATRAC then the terrain names they gave it. I thought the camera's were kind of a gimmick until I was in some spots in Moab where it really does allow you to double check your tire placement with the existing black marks in the rock when you can't see the ground over your hood. I wish the camera were a bit more clear but it def works in Moab where the contrast of tire marks is so distinct.

My overall thoughts on the 200 series is you can't go wrong no matter what year you buy, so ya got that going for ya! Now to break it down a little bit, I love the look of the outside of the 2008-2011 better! The inside updates to the 2013 are nice, not a game changer but def nice if the money is close. I've used turn assist a handful of times, on things like the switch backs on Black Bear pass and some of the tight switch backs on the mountain trails. Once you get use to it it's pretty much seamless. Plus turn assist is an awesome party trick at the ocean when you're having a who can make the smallest donut contest:) "Terrain select" is just a fancy name for adjust the sensitivity of your ATRAC system. So if you use ATRAC then you will love "terrain select" because it allows you to adjust how much help you want from ATRAC. Look at "terrain select" more like 1-5 sensitivity of your ATRAC then the terrain names they gave it. I thought the camera's were kind of a gimmick until I was in some spots in Moab where it really does allow you to double check your tire placement with the existing black marks in the rock when you can't see the ground over your hood. I wish the camera were a bit more clear but it def works in Moab where the contrast of tire marks is so distinct.
How was black bear pass? Any issues with stock height ko2 rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom