2008 vs. 2013 Buying Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at 2 vehicles...Any thoughts or advice? Something I should consider?

2008, 105,000 miles-Blue and Tan...Maintenace is normal...fluids, etc. Belts changed at 74,000 miles but not the water pump

2013, 125,000 miles-Black and Tan...Maintence is update to date...Most of the service has been done at Toyota Dealership...NOT my favorite exterior color but it's growing on me....

Thanks for any thoughts and/or ideas...

I own an 08 and had a chance to ride in a 13 last week.
Then13 is a step change more advanced than the 08. The crawl control is better, headlights are better and adjustable. Usb charging and info system are better.

The cooled seats are worth it if you live in a hot climate....

As an owner of a 2009 I like the earlier vintage 200's. They're all great really, but the earlier ones are slightly cleaner looking (just my opinion) and the added electronics to me are just so so. But what are your expectations, desires, what are you coming from? I transferred to the 200 from an 80, huge leap in tech, but for others the LC is lagging in tech.

Miles and maintenance history are everything, go from there. BTW, I also am partial to the light blue on the 08's, rare color.

Good luck!

Last edited:
thanks for all the thoughts...the vehicle will be used for overland travel...coming from a built 100 series...

Personally I'd go for the blue because I'm eh about technology and love the color. Only thing I'd like is the cooled seats and front cam on the 13. The 08 has fewer miles. How's the rust? That should be the deciding factor I'd say...

Blue and tan aren't my bag, but it sounds like the better bet.

Whatever your thoughts are on technology, the front camera and the radar cruise control is pretty damn awesome.

As D21 said... rust should be a big factor unless they are both equal in that regard.

Technology is advancing rapidly so it's hard to stay current on autos (especially Toyotas). You're not swapping cars like phones, at least most of us aren't. That said, will you be happier with the technology updates on the '13 in 5 years or can you live with the '08? If that doesn't matter then pick which suits you best. Our 100 series has been the best car we've ever owned but the clunky technology drives me crazy.

All things constant (similar service, condition, rust, etc.) I would recommend going for the 13. The tech is dated in both, but it's REALLY dated in the 08. The 13+ get a bump in resale value and get relatively significant bumps in features, so that's where I narrowed my search to. If the older one is in significantly better shape with a better history, I'd go for it, but if they're extremely similar for the same price go for the 13.

I LOVE my 2008... and have solved the Bluetooth Audio question ($30)...the USB question (installed 8 always-on USB outlets with my dual battery)...and love the lack of chrome on doors, etc.

BUT...the *one* item I would have found quite helpful in Moab would have been the forward-facing camera in 4Lo.
I think this one feature is a real boon--especially when lacking a spotter (on in my case...the need to see how bad a spotter I actually had on Hell's Gate, for example [and no, it was NOT a fellow Mudder!]).

Being able to see immediately forward obstacles and (in my case) slant angles when crawling up crazy rocks...would have been great.

Other than that? I'd buy the one with the lowest miles and best servicing history.

Same here, if I could get the tech I wanted the tech. The better headlights looked a lot more current, I would up narrowing my search to '13+ and I am glad I did. I'm only one refresh behind but it still is the nicest most technology packed vehicle I've ever owned. My FJ didn't have any of these high tech farckles so I'm as happy as I could be.

I LOVE my 2008... and have solved the Bluetooth Audio question ($30)...the USB question (installed 8 always-on USB outlets with my dual battery)...and love the lack of chrome on doors, etc.

BUT...the *one* item I would have found quite helpful in Moab would have been the forward-facing camera in 4Lo.
I think this one feature is a real boon--especially when lacking a spotter (on in my case...the need to see how bad a spotter I actually had on Hell's Gate, for example [and no, it was NOT a fellow Mudder!]).

Being able to see immediately forward obstacles and (in my case) slant angles when crawling up crazy rocks...would have been great.

Other than that? I'd buy the one with the lowest miles and best servicing history.

I bet that feature can be added by adding some kind of videocam with screen? That is the only feature I wish I had when parking in the city but too lazy to find a solution.

I love my 2009 and prefer the DATED 200s. I love the vinyl seats which still look brand new after 160k miles.

Turn assist? Is this the cameras on the side-view mirrors?

I utilize bluetooth streaming, radar cruise, forward cam, COOLED SEATS, additional crawl speeds and turn assist, all on a frequent basis.

All significant upgrades for sure. Just meant that the forward camera is the one I'd most like to have...

Turn assist? Is this the cameras on the side-view mirrors?

No it's the ability to essentially lock up the inside rear wheel while turning tight off road in 4 low with crawl activated. It seriously tightens up your turning radius, and it can take something that would normally be a 3 point turn into a simple single effort.

No it's the ability to essentially lock up the inside rear wheel while turning tight off road in 4 low with crawl activated. It seriously tightens up your turning radius, and it can take something that would normally be a 3 point turn into a simple single effort.
WTF kinda wizardry is this?! It has been decided - 2013+ 200 LC will be the next vehicle.

WTF kinda wizardry is this?! It has been decided - 2013+ 200 LC will be the next vehicle.

It's pretty cool no doubt. Here's an animation showing how it works:

I've been meaning to try turn assist in our '16. Hadn't seen the video. I like the part at 1:40 where the rear bumper has been ripped off; pretty sure that wasn't for visualizing things based upon the dents in the rear door! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom