Builds 2008 LX Live Camera Car and Overlanding Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to try this dock and mount. $140 total for both plus shipping. I love eBay for giving the option of buying used and saving a bunch of money! Hopefully the RAM tough tray can hold the Havis Docking station. If not there is an adapter out there somewhere to mount it to the Havis dock instead of the RAM tray.

It’s going to be bulky with me trying to use both the tray and docking station, but as long as it is secure while still fitting in a passenger then I’ll be happy! Going to need those extra inputs on the dock!

Will update next week when it gets here!

182F50F3-608A-4E3F-8928-97C21AD4C159.png

8B52486D-D834-47FD-A83C-2885AB06491A.png

8012F1E6-C7E8-4B53-A098-1A9BCB512715.png

18C2C15D-87D6-46D9-8AB1-75DF8423BBA7.png

FC8D8718-A93A-47DE-AA27-E65D09B2568A.png

Me and Tiger trying to enter the building! Can’t wait to see what mud members are sharing on Facebook. I plan on sharing quite a bit myself, just gotta work on making some good mud content first. Ideally I want to stream my runs through the trails after I get there with the live broadcast setup. That’s my main project for this week is to setup my Wi-fi antenna and remote network, and from there I want to do a test stream from the lake near my parents warehouse.

Hopefully I’ll see many of you on facebook as well!

By the way, me and Tiger will accept all friend requests so don’t be shy if you see us on there.
Likewise if I recognize anyone from here on there, I will be sending you a request!

E40E9277-76F0-4C84-8BE3-391BD89BA8EC.png

22B74A2D-B373-401C-8E5A-7739ACBC16A9.png

Very sturdy docking station. These things were $1000 retail when first released and were mostly catered to police vehicles, but old models will end up for eBay for 100 or less in many cases. Now I can hook the computer up to the multiple hardwired Inside cameras, the wired Ethernet cord, the wired microphone, power cord and etc, just by docking it. I plan on getting an external graphics card housing as well, so the idea is to dock the laptop and essentially turn it into a desktop with more capability (video games/intensive video editing applications).

It also gives me the extra USB ports I need to run all the cameras simultaneously (can toggle between them in OBS). I’m basically going to have a really comprehensive view of the interior and surroundings, even undercarriage, and be able to broadcast the live feed to almost any platform that allows live streams (even multiple platforms at same time).

The ram Pod iii with the tough tray will be here next week, and I’m hoping it will have enough vertical adjustability on the clamps to account for the thick dock, as well as hoping for a secure fit to the passenger seat rail.

I also figured out quite a bit/did some testing off stream, in terms of making the stream setup wireless (mainly cameras) and setting up the Ubiquiti Bullet and antenna. Will do an update soon on that and eventually do a stream to show the setup process. It took me an entire day to get it right because of how customizable everything is and because the Bullet is a little unique, but now its simple once I figured it out. Next step is to Mount and test the range on the antenna.

I decided to prioritize the “camera car” aspect of the build, to make it easier to document things in the future. Lots of progress on that this and next week. Still need to figure out how I want to mount the antenna and Bullet M2 on the roof.

Soon these long posts will be replaced by short video updates.

AF1DDA03-860B-4E25-BB75-D8A9F3E82C85.jpeg

38E6B9E6-491F-458E-8E93-620EC40248E2.jpeg

7D7473C7-3D08-4F62-B377-BA3E9B91BC57.jpeg

59B4A029-6ABC-4B42-B956-758A0AC4AF26.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea on how I could mount the antenna in a high location, but be able to fold it down when I’m not using it? I like to keep it a little discreet if possible.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Put it on a hinged mount? I know I've seen them on here. I think for guys running cb and 1 meter rigs?

Thank you. I added hinged to my searched and it helped a lot.

What i want:
- no drilling required
- folds from front to back, in case i hit something after forgetting to fold it down, and because the antenna + bullet is long.
- does not require aftermarket roof rack

So far i have only found this:

So the motorized one will not work for my antenna, and the rep suggested I go with one of the two options below.

77E08CCB-EB38-491F-94A2-22E2F15CAA0D.png

6810030D-4D77-4F93-A5D6-98B8451AFAC3.png

1FFF37BC-578F-4F4A-909C-EB31D4CA135E.png

EDFE1F26-2D2E-42E2-99C7-86F1B3C254B9.png

Last edited:
Decided to go with this guy for the simplicity. I can just unscrew the antenna and throw it in the car instead of trying to find a rotating solution with the right connectors (which I couldn’t find), or trying to make the wrong connectors work for the rotating mounts. My antenna is N female (most aren’t), so I am picking up an N male to N male adapter as well. Total was $55 (including tax and shipping) for both from Ham Radio Outlet.

D829922E-07D6-4CE9-B723-9BC8A97EA682.png

Last edited:
VizuaLogic is the brand. I can live with a different color headrest lol. It adds personality especially if it was for a good reason.

Important thing is it goes to someone who will give it the use and appreciation it deserves, and judging by how much work you have been putting into your entertainment system... it might be right up your alley. As far as compatibility goes I am clueless though.

View attachment 2224570

Sadly I haven’t turned it on even once but some of my friends have just to test it.

What powers these things anyways? I don’t see any wires running into the headrests??
do you still have these screens? i'd be interested in purchasing if you have all the parts.

do you still have these screens? i'd be interested in purchasing if you have all the parts.

Unfortunately, I only have 2 of them working. I was a little reckless and somewhere between laying on one and storing stuff by the other, I managed to crack the screens in the rear ones. I have been looking for someone to donate them to before I ruin the other 2 that still works. It is aftermarket so I have to cut the 2 wires to get it out, since I don’t know where the connection plugs into. The replacement wires were only 20 per seat when I checked.

Let me know if 2 out of 4 screens is good enough for you, and I will look into ways to take them out and do something else with that space. You can just pay shipping and if it helps you sleep at night, I will accept a little donation for them. Not necessary though as I’m just glad someone can use them, as I sure as heck don’t. Ideally I want to replace that area with a tiny screen that has an input that my laptop can accept, and then use it as a second and third monitor/live monitor/chat monitor for when I am live streaming.

I only need the 3rd row screens (the second row headrests). Did you have any stock screens or they were all after market?

With LCDC around the corner, I decided to put most things aside and focus on getting my Streaming setup done for July; That includes drawers and the Bluetti, as well as rims and tires. I have the budget to get 1 thing done, and I can get by without the things listed above. When it comes down to it, I’d rather go without drawers and be able to go, than to have drawers at the expense of not being able to go.

With that said, I will try my best not to be a burden and hold my group back. In addition to taking the easy lines, I will ask that @codyaustin5 puts me in the easy, laid back group, since I am on stock rims and street tires. I don’t want anyone to be caught surprised and ruin anyone’s day.

What is more valuable to me than tires and drawers, is to be able to create content to look back on later and to be able to share the experience with everyone at home. For that reason I am putting the “Camera Car” aspect of the build at the very top for July. I have a lot of the pieces I need, but still have a lot of work to do.

Consider this a heads up, as this thread is about to get very boring for those who aren’t nerds like me. It’s time to get into the science behind what it takes to turn a car into a mobile platform for live broadcasting, using a combination of Wi-fi and cellular signals.

So I decided that the Bullet, although great if you only plan on using Wi-fi while parked and do not mind manually changing IDs and passwords when changing spots, isn’t right for me. It is good for most people, but for someone like me who wants to maintain a connection across miles/multiple hotspots, and while in a moving vehicle, that I need something a little more capable.

So I plan on going for a setup that is capable of accepting many SSIDs/passwords, and maintaining a connection across multiple networks/as well as automatically connecting to ones within range. I joined the Ubiquiti forums so it’s time to start asking the experts.

The plan is to get there a few days early and collect Wi-fi login information, so that when the LCDC crew goes crawling at night, I can follow them and maintain a live feed, from my POV, of the Caravan of Cruisers, as well as of everyone having a good time.

And then for when we are on trails during the day, as well as for a couple nights spent camping instead of downtown, I will rely on cellular bonding to achieve the signal needed. FC is covered well enough that I think this route is very viable.

I will be sure to mark myself somehow (maybe a Live sign), to keep the “I DO NOT CONSENT TO BEING FILMED” people away. My friends have taught me that I need to be considerate of those folks.

Anyways, it’s going to be a long boring month of me doing a mod that no one on the forum ever does. Maybe in the future every wheeling group will have a live camera car, but for now I guess it’s just me lol.

Last edited:
I only need the 3rd row screens (the second row headrests). Did you have any stock screens or they were all after market?

I thought they were stock but judging by the cables they are aftermarket. These were the only ones that came with the car, and I was actually thinking of taking it out of the headrest. The headrests may not be interchangeable from 2nd to 1st row, but the DVD players/screens are all the same size? Let me know if it’s viable, if not then darn, least we tried.

I know I said camera car mods this month (July), but it is technically still June lol.

I had pushed the idea of a swing-away bike rack for the Ruckus aside, since I wasn’t bothered enough about lack of rear access to dish out $300.

Well, REI finally processed my Exped return from months ago (had a leak, bought another while sending leaked one back), and they credited it to a gift card instead of my original payment. They are that swamped that it takes months to process returns.

And on top of that the Yakima Backswing is 20% off for 4th of July sale for $240.

I did some research and although it is designed for bicycles, Humble Steve (my Ruckus), is still within the weight capacity (245 out of 250 lbs!) of the Yakima BackSwing. Thanks James from amazon review, how convenient for me that you run the same bike and carrier combination and answered my question before I asked it!

I am going for it unless someone knows a better way to spend my REI gift card. No more having to unload the Ruckus in order to open the hatch!

121017B2-9012-4D1F-87AD-3FF201DC8B91.jpeg

8A47FC71-1244-4C01-B371-29BEF453C8BB.png

EA8C2695-AB04-4CE2-B192-FA7910681C35.jpeg

B5289414-21B4-486F-9299-10E0F0A784F7.png

Sometimes i wake up with good ideas, and sometimes not so good. Sometimes i can't tell, so you guys tell me.

So it started with me thinking about ways to get good undercarriage shots without me having to crawl under or having to get too close to a moving vehicle, and without being too much of a distraction on the driver.

That lead me to the idea of using a Remote control car, and mounting a HDMI transmitter, small battery bank for the camera and transmitter, and an action camera on top. It helps that i have confirmed that the wireless transmitter/hdmi capture card, can turn the cameras into wireless webcams that are good for up to a few hundred feet in range.

That lead me to thinking about remote control cars that are 4x4s and can handle a Little Rock crawling.

That lead me to googling "Remote Control Land Cruiser". Finally, a new 70 series that I can afford!

s-l1600__17446.1519888122.jpg

Then that lead me, somehow, to photoshop, where i ended up with this:
plxpjgg4zzj21.jpg
RC-Camera-Car-1.png

This is where i realized i've spent too much time on this and need to get to work on getting the Awning out before 4WheelParts closes, so i just sloppily threw a camera on there.

RC-CAmera-Car-2.png

We can make a miniature version of Mohammed as well, and give him a new job as the RC LC Camera Man! #shootcamerasnotguns

Last edited:
DANG! The above is just a body kit, no motor and etc!

“Finally, a new 70 series that I can afford!”

I take back what I said. Even in the RC world, I can’t afford a 70 series!

Might have to settle for an FJ or something. Wish they made 200 series LX remote control cars, it’d be cool to have an exact mini copy!

Might even have to settle for a wrangler, jk. The reliability and capability of the LC may not transfer over to the Remote Control Cars world... but the price sure did! I’m not giving up though!

edit:

This one is too pricey, but the description made me laugh. They are talking about you, mudders.

9C5B34C0-B035-4C20-860A-D2B5A92972AC.png

Last edited:
Going to try and follow @radman s instructions this week, and do the “Extra High Mode” lift via adjusting values in Techstream. I might have it easy, because there is a small (or big) chance that the floor in my parents warehouse is leveled.

Thanks @gamecock2009 for pointing me to right cable, I almost ordered the 32 bit one!

Thanks in advance to @getco as well, as I will be following your instructions to setup Techstream.

159CB1EF-4A6D-4E87-AF4D-ED08B66BA2E2.png

I spent some time soul searching and decided go forward with the RC camera car idea, and spent even more time looking for the best bang for my bucks. For what I will be using it for, this thing will be well worth it.

I ended up going with a Redcat Everest 10 for $150 ($10 discount code JUN1020 from AMainHobbies) after doing some research and spending a night weighing it versus the DANCHEE Ridgeline for $115 (also a Redcat product). I decided to go for rock crawling capability rather than speed, since my goal is to capture undercarriage and clearance shots during really technical stuff. Also... 10mph is fast enough to follow tiger around since he’s...fat, so that’s good enough for me.

I ultimately decided that the waterproof electronics part was worth the extra 35 bucks, because I know this thing will end up being splashed at some point when wheeling. In addition, it has the better surface area for mounting camera gear.

I also considered one of the ones from the local big retailers, but they are much less capable and are more catered to 7 year olds. This is more for your teenage kid, or if you were to be honest, yourself! I won’t deny that I’m about to have a heck of a lot of fun with it, but at the same time i am buying it for a purpose as well. Two birds, 1 stone!

I wouldn’t judge anyone here if you bought something similar, and say that it’s for “your kid”. It’s actually a great way to get them into wheeling and rock crawling, so they can play with their 1/10 scale while you play with your full size!

That video gave me a great idea of how I could give everyone a good tour of the inside, under and around the car! Basically same idea but more car less garage.

A1F874B2-0C1A-4264-8423-55C974B8E6CB.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom