2006 Lexus LX470 VGRS issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently encountered the constant VGRS light and off-center due to a dead battery. The light would not go off. I tried straightening the wheel and removing the battery cables for >10 min to no avail. I then tried jumping pins 4 & 12 of the OBD port which did make the Trac control & VSC blink, but the VGRS light remained constant.

Anyhow, The next day I decided it would just be one of those things I’d deal with at a later date and after driving it around a little while (10-20 min?) I noticed the steering wheel gradually went back to a correct on-center angle and the VGRS light later shut off by itself.

May not help those whose VGRS has actually gone out, but for anyone who replaced a drained battery, this might offer hope lol.

With VGRS systems, once battery reconnected, we get VGRS light on dash. FSM states drive in a straight line at XXMPH (IIRC 35 MPH) light goes out. Then make normal left and right turns. I do figure 8s.

I've joined the dreaded VGRS failure club. Last weekend, was driving around, stopped for a few minutes, restarted and VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and VGRS came on. My OBD reader didn't show any codes. Took it to my independent mechanic who hooked up Techstream, and was not able to clear the code. Not too inclined to spend 5-7K to fix, so now I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I did mention to him the procedure as documented in post #60, an he has reluctantly agreed to try it. Hopefully that will work. In the meantime, guess I'm stuck with this issue.

The real question is how much does this de-value the vehicle ? And, there doesn't appear to be issues driving it other than the wheel being a little off center.

It's hard to say if it's a big deal or not. What were the codes that techstream read? I can say simply disconnecting the VGRS module at the firewall doesn't cause anything more than the VGRS light to come on (no VSC TRAC, OFF, etc), so I'm guessing you've got a failed sensor somewhere - perhaps the steering angle sensor? Might not be a huge deal to fix.

It's hard to say if it's a big deal or not. What were the codes that techstream read? I can say simply disconnecting the VGRS module at the firewall doesn't cause anything more than the VGRS light to come on (no VSC TRAC, OFF, etc), so I'm guessing you've got a failed sensor somewhere - perhaps the steering angle sensor? Might not be a huge deal to fix.

The code is C1567. Also, I've heard about disconnecting the plug, but not sure where it is to accomplish this.

here are a couple of pictures of the vgrs ecu and it shows the port that corresponds to the procedure. It is located on the left wall, below dash, in driver's footwell. Getting the plugs is a knuckle-buster I unbolted it. It has another ECU hanging next to it.
If you execute the procedures, get the front wheels off the ground before executing page SR58. It will wear on your rack bushings if you do not.

89181600281 VGRS Steering ECU 4.jpg

89181600281 VGRS Steering ECU 1.jpg

Attachments

• vgrs calibriation LX470 (1).pdf
    302.4 KB · Views: 205
The code is C1567. Also, I've heard about disconnecting the plug, but not sure where it is to accomplish this.

Seems to be an issue with the 'lock insertion mechanism'. As others have stated, you can try the above procedure to see if it fixes the issue. I've never done that, so I wouldn't know.

My VGRS works fine, I just don't like it. Unplugging the center plug on the ECU for me triggered a VGRS light but zero other issues. You could try that and see if that at least gets your VSC working again.

Seems to be an issue with the 'lock insertion mechanism'. As others have stated, you can try the above procedure to see if it fixes the issue. I've never done that, so I wouldn't know.

My VGRS works fine, I just don't like it. Unplugging the center plug on the ECU for me triggered a VGRS light but zero other issues. You could try that and see if that at least gets your VSC working again.
So, the middle plug as shown in the first pic in post #66 ? I’ll give that a shot.

So, the middle plug as shown in the first pic in post #66 ? I’ll give that a shot.

Yes. If you find the wire bundle coming out of the VGRS boot on the firewall and trace it back, I believe it's the middle plug on the ECU from post 66.

I've 03 LX470 with dash warning lights VSC TRAC & VSC OFF along with VRGS on. DTC C1289 C1568 found in tech stream. Steering wheel not centered ( left of centering ~30 degrees) automatically after battery disconnect, nor VGRS light going off. I've yet to work on it, for these issues! As i'm working my way through many from improper maintenance.
22-3-5 lights (2).jpeg

So I pulled up Lexus owner service history. I see no recall work done, and only 3 times into any Lexus Dealership for service, in 315K miles.

Doing some research, I found the 03 LX 470 had 3 recalls. Toyota customer support automated system online. Directed me to my local Lexus dealership "Kuni". I contacted Kuni Lexus service department, giving them my VIN #. They said they'd order all parts for the 3 recall, and call when in. Offering to installing free of any charges, and offering a free loaner. SWEET! They have the best coffee bar and views in town. I may just spend they day there eating cookies and drinking coffee, while looking at the new LX & IS FX if they've any. How better for a gear-head to spend they day...LOL

Heck, Kuni may even find issue of DTC, and say something helpfully. Save me some time...

But I did spent my time (a lot of time), removing the non factory wiring. Which some were "port" or "Dealership" installed, like old tech cell phone hardwired. Other stuff like Laser front and rear radar detection gear, may have been 3rd party. But radar stuff was integrated in phone stuff. DVD on other hand, look to be installed by third party (not at port or Dealership), from looks of it. Also a NAPA battery tender. Hummm battery tender! :hmm: Not surprised with non factory wiring junk.

While pulling non factory junk from under dash. I noticed a locking washers loose on steering shafts near VGRS black boot. It appears to be the one involved in the TSB where steering wheel shafts can become disconnected. Yikes!

VGRS lock washer.JPEG

VGRS lock washer C.jpg

Attachments

• TSB VGRS 03-07 LX470 repair proceedure.pdf
    433.5 KB · Views: 131
Found it, unplugged center cable, went for a short drive, Vsc lights still on.

That sucks. A couple things you could try -
  • Attempt to clear codes again
  • Bring up the data list for VGRS and see if you can identify what isn't working (assuming anything works at all)
  • Disconnect ALL the plugs at the AHC ecu and clear codes and see what happens. I have heard that you can unplug everything and remove the ECU and the only side effect is the VGRS light but I haven't tried it so I have no direct experience with what will happen.
Sorry! Wish I could help more but I just haven't been in your shoes. Hopefully you can get it resolved without a crazy expense. I agree - I wouldn't be dropping 7k on a system I don't particularly care for in the first place.

I guess next step will be to check for any recalls that have not been applied….
It is very important to get the VGRS recall taken care of, in any event.

TSB for the VRGS, letter to owners states:
The construction of the steering shaft is such that the snap ring on the shaft may disengage when the vehicle experiences an unusually severe impact to the front wheels (for example, striking a deep pothole in the roadway). If the snap ring becomes disengaged and the steering wheel is then repeatedly turned to the full locked position, over time the steering shaft may become disconnected which could result in a loss of steering control and thus increase the risk of a crash.

My 03 LX470 Lexus (not yet road worthy or plated) has open 3 recalls (DRL, VGRS & Air bag).

My 07 LX470 has/had 1: (VGRS). Which it's service history, indicates taken care of. Which I need to double check with Lexus I'm interpreting correctly.
DESCRIPTION: STEERING CONCERN ~|~C/R STEERING RECALL ~|~UPDATE STEERING BRACKET ~|~PERFORM SSC ALF CAMPAIGN
It is same statement I find on other 03-07 LX470 history. At Lexus Service History | Lexus Drivers - https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/history

Inspecting my 03LX. I see minor front bumper impact, the kind that happens in parking lot. No signs of ever repainted any areas. The only clue of possible impact that may have dislodged the snap ring. Is one wheel paint is much worst than other 3. Likely it was the spare. I need to take a close look at the spare (hanging under cargo area), to see if it looks like it took a hit (bad pot hole) or not the factory wheel.

But it could be just time and miles without sever impact, snap ring came loose. This 03 LX470 also has some braking issues. Can you imagine if steering was lost, brakes then air bag failure. o_O

Makes one of the safest vehicle on the road, a killer!

Last edited:
So update on the 03LX pictured above with dash lights VGRS, VSC.

After recall work done by Kuni, no VSC, but VGRS was still on.
IMG_6466.JPEG

Once back to my shop. I went through tech stream into: VGRS live, Utility, Steering angle adjust. Followed prompts. VGRS light is now off. Steering "seems" (need to drive more and get on HWY) wheel centered.
IMG_6481.JPEG

Long story:

I've been working on this 03LX for awhile now, as time permitted. I hadn't really concerned myself with the VGRS or any dash light or DTC in tech stream. As this 03LX has so many problems, I've been working through one by one. First was getting derivable, as FDS busted and wheel hubs were falling off (what a mess). For the most part everything I've been working to correct back to factory spec. Was messed up, mostly due to improper service work. Seems, every point a hand touched this one, they messed up. Which most work I do on all 100 series coming into my shop, is correcting improper service.

Anyway after rebuilding front end and some other stuff, and then 3 days of pulling all the aftermarket wired & components junk out. i.e Lexus (seemed to be Dealership installed) flip phone system, radar detection gear front and rear, aftermarket DVD system & battery tender. Correcting some related issues created when the wires run.

Is when, I spotted the VGRS steering snap ring was out of position (picture back a few post). Interestingly the steering wheel was about 30+ degrees off centered also. The steering rack & pinion is a replacement R&P,. R&P is painted black and been in for some time by the looks of it. Paint all black, means I can not see the color code strip to determine if a Lexus VGRS R&P or not.

The DTC (codes) I pulled the first time (before service work), were:
C1568 VGRS Lock Holder Deviation Detection
C1289 ABS/VGRS/TRAC general malfunction

As always I note DTC, and clear them. Then look to see what comes back, which was: C1289 & C1568
I did also get some other codes like CAT codes likely from prolonged idling an engine needing a tune. Also air bag B1135, B1279 rain sensor. But cleared most up, just working through systems and tuning engine.

The C1289 & C1568, (i.e VGRS & ABS) were 2 of concern in this thread, that would always come back once key on.

I called Lexus Dealership (Kuni of Greenwood CO), gave me VIN #. They found 3 recalls still open (not yet taken care of.). They ordered the parts and schedule in my 03LX.
The 3 recalls:
  1. VGRS snap ring (picture above show, snap ring had come loose), very dangerous!
  2. Air bag. May need air bag if steering lost on HWY. YIKES!.
  3. DLR. Not really a concern.
So I let Kuni work on it.

Once I got it back, with recall work done. I only had the VGRS light remaining on. Steering wheel not centered, but was now only off ~5 degrees, not the 30+ degrees it was.

But I'm very unhappy with Kuni, due to what I've found after they worked on it:
I ask the service manager, when I picked up after recall work done. As he look at his computer screen.
"What all, did mechanic find ?"
He said: "Pad at 4mm and some dash lights on". He did not say which dash lights! He said Nothing about one dash light ON being the VGRS. Which I'd think they'd check tech stream, when system they worked on it, was VGRS related. Nor did he say anything about any DTC before or after service. There was a lot, they should have noted.
He did say: They washed & vacuumed. Yet I find lots of debris on the carpet.
I then notice LH side cowl molding not put back in place properly, and a large shoe/foot print on cowling.
I find the plastic molding key ring from IG SW on the carpet. "Vacuumed", yeah right.
I find the lower RH clip for under dash molding busted and metal portion missing.
I also find the HAVC sensor housing not in place. It's bracket not in sight, retain screw ripped out of molding and missing. Which I know for a fact, all was in place properly and in prefect working order, before I took in to Kuni Lexus

If the mechanic so sloppy with this little stuff. What kind of work did he do with the recall components, that failure of are life threading. :hmm: I've not yet, but will have to re due all work they did, to be sure after what I've found leaves me with concern.

Anyhow, I now rechecked for DTC.
I had 2 VGRS DTC of concern with this thread:
C1568 (as before) Lock holder Deviation.
C1515 (new) Actuator Neutral Position calibration Undone.

So I went through tech stream into: VGRS live, Utility, Steering angle adjust. Followed prompts. VGRS light is now off.:)

Last edited:
My 2004 LX gave me some VGRS trouble this morning after parallel parking. Everything was fine while parking, but when I got back in and started the engine, an alarm sounded and the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, and VGRS lights all illuminated. I turned the engine off and back on and the alarm stopped, but the lights stayed on. As I drove away, I found that the steering wheel was about 90 degrees off center. I tried disconnecting the battery, but the lights stayed on.
I haven't gotten around to setting up techstream, so I stopped by Tru Automotive in Denver to scan for codes.
The codes were:
C1223
C1241
C1289
C1340

After clearing the codes, the only one that showed up again was C1289 - VGRS Fault.

I saw that some people were having the same issue after they had replaced their VGRS ECU and/or actuator and had solved the problem by calibrating the system with the method detailed in the FSM on page SR-56.
I used some speaker wire to unlock the actuator and realign the steering wheel, then used a couple paper clips and followed the directions to perform the "Actuator Angle Initialization" step. This step caused the VSC TRAC and TRAC OFF lights to turn off. Now only the VGRS light was illuminated.
I followed step 8 (Adjust Actuator Angle), and after repeating the check procedure about 15 times, went out for a drive.
At this point, all the lights were off and the steering wheel slowly corrected itself back to center as I drove.
I am hoping that this solves the problem, but I guess I will find out in the coming days/weeks if my ECU or actuator are going out.
I plan to stop by Tru again tomorrow to scan for any codes (and drop off a six pack for their troubles).
Hopefully I'm in the clear!

I recently ran into this issue on a 2006 LX470 and struggled to find info on diag. I can't tell anybody how to repair theirs, but will suggest getting all the info possible to fully understand what they are getting involved in. Simple ohm meter testing, following a diag tree and understanding of wiring should get you the correct diagnosis. After learning how to pull codes through the DLC manually, I came up with C1528, there was enough information and pin outs to verify an open circuit in the ribbon part of the actuator. They do go bad, amidst what some believe. I used Alldata for the code reading and found the diag tree on Identifix. I'm sure the FSM would have similar stuff, as both of these companies just use FSM pages they bought rights to.

This is normal after a dead or disconnected battery. It should take care of itself, after a relatively short drive
Have the same issue , replaced alt and batt. Vgrs and vsc lights on. Iv driven it over 100 miles now and lights still on . .

Have the same issue , replaced alt and batt. Vgrs and vsc lights on. Iv driven it over 100 miles now and lights still on . .
Then it would appear that you have bigger issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom