Builds Shoppy's Moonlight 80 LS1 Build 2017 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
IMG_7627.JPG

IMG_8154.PNG

So I want to start this thread on building my 80. My interest in 80's began with turfnsurf 2016. Within a few months I fell into two 96 fzj's. Both in the same week actually. A clean stock white one with a blown head, full lockers and a moonlight grey bone stock no lockers, some slight body damage, perfectly good running stock 80. Both I paid a song for. I immediately tore into the white 80 and titsed out the top end. Then Slowly I looked into suspension meanwhile driving the 80 around and getting some good beta from others on how to build it. Now I was stuck with a decision. Build the nice white one with lockers or the grey one with the body damage?

I found the slinky, or the slinky found me I don't know. But I shoved out 3k and bought a long travel kit With 11mm longer rear control arms and front axle 1" relocating plates along with slee caster plates, slee diy f+r track bar and rear control arm kits. Then scavenged a killer deal off Craigslist on a set of 37's.

Meanwhile I am sitting on these parts with two 80's trying to decide which one I'm going to thrash on the trails. Low and behold I read a thread on ls swapping the 80 series. Im a tech at a small shop in town here. We have a tow yard and shop. I'm not sure what happened next but being here ten years and never seeing an ls1 come in wrecked, and left for the buzzards to pick off it, there it was...a wrecked 02 ss Camaro ls1 in the yard where I work. and So there it began. Long nights of research and piecing together a plan.

I learned a lot about the ls and various versions of it during the process. Different intakes, oil pans, manifolds, accessories and their locations, be it the water pump or power steering they are different from truck to Camaro so do your research if you're going to purchase a set up. That being said if I were to buy a desired set up it would be a later model probably lq with 6l80 and the tow button so you'd have different tunes but that's not what I wound up with. There is always more than one way to do something and we all know the sky is the limit when it comes to projects. I got a steal on a motor and trans and spent a little extra outfitting it with braided lines, gears and fancy parts in the trans- more on that later. Fancy but not really if you want everlasting reliability.

Be I'm not great with these forums and am still figuring out all the little emoji characters. I may talk to much or to little so bare with me. Here it goes...

Engine: 2002 genIII ls1 w/ cable operated throttle body Camaro cable utilized-used

Trans:GM 4l60e-used

Trans mount: stock Fzj80 modified

Trans shifter: 91 fj80 base modified to to GM cable w/96 shift knob- ih8mud member score

Trans Shifter cable:GM 10340403-local parts house

Engine Harness: stock Camaro

Engine mounts: advance adapter 713088

Exhaust: 2.5" custom by me w/hooker super comp block hugger/ flanges cut and re-angled and replaced with V band style flange. Borla XS
Pro Muff 2.5 center in/out. Wrapped with heat wrap
Vband flanges-eBay
Muff BOR-40364-summit
Hangers-ebay
Heat wrap-eBay
Radiator: stock Toyota with stock antifreeze

Cooling fans: stock camaro dual fans with used AAA signage for fan shroud

Fan relays: painless dual fan relay kit prf-30117-summit racing

Cooling hoses: upper and lower u bend m stainless sum-390025-summit racing: Heater hose Dayco E80406 E87717-off the shelf and connected with brass.

Power steering hose: pressure hose PTFE 6 with appropriate fittings-961955ERL, 925121, 620421-summit racing. Standard return hose off shelf double clamped. Syn atf fluid.

Transfer case: found used 6/87 manual split case then rebuilt by me with Sumo gears 4:1 low 10% underdraive high range.with twin stick shifters-Georg @ valley hybrids

Suspension: Slinky Long Travel 75mm stage 1, 11mm extended rear control arms, slee diy uppers, slee diy panhards, 1" front axle relocate plates, slee 4 degree caster plates, bump stops, sway bar extended links and brackets-Justin @ Redline Landcruisers

Steering: HD 7/8 Heims, 1.5x.25 DOM tie rod,drag link and Front Panhard-Ruffstuff

Tires: set of 5 BFG KO2 5k mile used 37x12.5x17- used off Craigslist $600

Wheels: set of 5 American racing ATX 70 series bronze 17x9x-12mm -4 wheel online

Front hubs: aisin golds- Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Driveshafts: Tom Woods double Cardon front standard two joint rear

Fuel pump: Toyota Supra Denso 950-0155 amazon $160

Fuel pump relay: painless summit racing

Fuel pressure regulator and lines: an fittings AT991966ERL, AT165056ERL(4), SUM-220687B (2), AT165006ERL(4), LS9904filter/regulator kit, Sum-220690B (6), SUM-230610, AT165064ERL, some of these were used for the trans cooler lines and I may have missed a few-summit racing

Transmission cooler & hoses: stock Camaro hardlines to an 6 braid with custom adaption to radiator and from cooler. Stock Toyota from radiator to cooler -summit racing

Battery Cables: 2AWG kit QCR-57-010, SUM-350135-1,with heat protection wrap- summit racing

AC lines: custom by me
Compressor adapter fitting -eBay
Hose kit-eBay

Gears: 4:88 front and rear. All new bearings throughout hub to hub Harrop E Lockers F/R-- Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Front axle: RCV 300M complete shafts, 300M part time hub gears, Hellfire high steer knuckles, Terrain Taimer wheel bearing/birff kits.

Front Brakes: EBC slotted rotors with Yellowstuff pads

Front Bumper: 4X4 Labs DIY

Rear Bumper: 4X4 Labs DIY with dual swings, triple scepter cans and spare tire

Rock Sliders: custom with friend RS Metals- 2x3 with 1.75x.188 DOM Tig Welded to Frame plates

Winch: Warn VR12K Synthetic Line

Roof Rack: Bowfin Cruisers 2018 full rack with Amazon 41” light bar

Second Battery: Odysee 34 with 91 LC battery tray

Last edited:
Here I started by removing the whole shootin match. Be careful when removing not to hit the bumper guard/ sheet metal between the bumper and grill like I did. I was pulling it by myself and the forklift decided to jump into reverse with nobody in it and bent the piece. Next shaved the stock engine mounts so I had a clean frame to work with.

any rubbing with those 37's and the 75mm lift after that jump on the dunes?

It was hard to find but Just a small amount on the outside edge of the rear fenders. Bout 1/4-1/2" at the most. Fronts were pretty much good I think due to axle being moved forward 1".
My exhaust interfered with the front diff pretty good which is fixed with a bump stop. Maybe change the exhaust at a later date. I still had the stock front bumps in tho. I would say it was much success for the first time out. And despite what others think no bent axles at all.

You got a pic of it...well....on the ground?

I had to choose which direction I would go at this point in the build. My employer had a AA adapter for a 60 series he was going to v8 swap years ago. So at $600 for the adapter I had a head start....really tho my goal was to have a re-geared transfer case with part time 4wd. After finding out the adapter for the 80 series case is almost $1300, the gear set and spool another $700 ish and I only get 3:1 low range, another 700 for a new underdrive high gear...that's $2800 for the 80 series case plus rebuild kit for what I kinda wanted.

I went with the free adapter, had to purchase a in between adapter for the go trans to go from a 4 bolt to 6 bolt pattern-$300, splitcast w trans $400, sumo gear set, $1000, shifters, 200, Aisin hubs , and rebuild kit came out to about $2200 which was enticing until I realized I needed new driveshafts front and rear. I had planned on the front but not the rear. Rear shaft was another 370=$2600 Total still came out a little cheaper than gong with the 80 case. Plus I have two shifters, 4:1 low gear and 10% underdrive high range and one tough set of gears. The Sumo gears are thicker and cut at a steeper angle for strength so they are NOISY by nature. Definately something to consider when going this route. But as a gear head you can get used to it. I'm not sure how noisy the 80 case would have been. Here are some photos of he transfer case rebuild...
IMG_7660.JPG
new Sumo gears
IMG_7657.JPG
adapter on the left with shaft installed
IMG_7658.JPG
rebuild kit
IMG_7659.JPG
this is shifter bracket comes with the AA adapter. I had to cut some off when I installed it to clear the in between adapter.
IMG_7656.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

Different areas of the case need to be ground so take time to get than all
IMG_7661.JPG
IMG_7662.JPG
new gears!!!
IMG_7663.JPG
IMG_7664.JPG
Split case with adapter

I had to very carefully grind the case to allow the larger Sumo gears to clear. This took me quite some time to accomplish as I didn't want to grind a hole in the very thin case... on thing to keep in mind is when they clear completely the case goes together with ease. If you are fighting it you probably meed to grind more. I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Seems to work good. I also opted to silicone the case halves with the paper gaskets. It's kinda like cheap insurance just don't screw up to where you have to pull it back apart caus the gaskets are trash afterwards (don't ask how I know), but make sure if you are using AA shifters that you open the package and install the updated shift fork pin before you assemble the case. It comes with the shifters and requires install with case apart. If you look close at the gearset picture you can see I did not do that.

This is the in between adapter, mounts to the back of the 4l60e which has a 6 bolt pattern. The earlier 4l60/700r4 had only 4 bolts holding the tail housing. The tail shaft is cut to 5.5" from the rearward pint of the adapter. The kit comes with a new speed sensor ring and sensor adjust the sensor gap to .010 and silicone in place
IMG_7673.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG
This pic still had the stock shift fork pin which I had to pull everything apart and install the AA pin.
IMG_7676.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG

This pic has the correct shift fork pin installed for the shifters I bent the shifters to the stock location in the center console however I still had to hea them up and adjust from inside once it was all installed. This was a big pain being little OCD
IMG_7764.JPG

This is the shifter bracket in modified. I had to cut quite a bit off to clear the in between adapter bolt. I didn't get pics of the modified bracket.

I had some time to get the engine installed and in place. I needed a t case mount so iniswd the stock 80 mount and modified the cross member. First I set the mount on the cross member. Used two 3"x6"X1/4" plate and welded to the mount in short weed and cooled in water immediately.
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7831.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom