2006 Lexus LX470 VGRS issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No problem. I was searching VGRS ECU... With this info I can try to locate one. Thanks
A thought, have you confirmed the part number on the ECU in your LX?

Since yours is a 2005 it might use the 89181-60021. There are currently 2 available on eBay.

A thought, have you confirmed the part number on the ECU in your LX?

Since yours is a 2005 it might use the 89181-60021. There are currently 2 available on eBay.
Man! it was hard to get to the part number. Was able to take a crappy pic of the number.

You are correct... I just looked at my truck's ECU and it's the 89181-60021. You tha man.

Long time lurker when I had an 80 many moons ago. Recently acquired a 2006 LX 470 for a great deal due to the VGRS & TRAC lights being on. Figured I can fix it, one way or another. Unfortunately I still am in the middle, but wanted to share what I've done so far and hopefully how I end up solving it....

The PO had Lexus diagnose the issue, unsuccessfully try to recalibrate it, and then quote him $5k to fix it and said the actuator was faulty and needed to be replaced.

From what I can tell from the SM and some web searches, the VGRS system is basically 2 units: the steering intermediate shaft (45220-60202) and the ECU that controls it.

A non VGRS truck (ex: most Land Cruisers), the steering intermediate shaft is literally just a shaft with a couple of flex joints (45203-60090). For the LX, it is a motor on the input side of a harmonic gear set. Kinda neat, but explains why it is such an expensive part (~4k MSRP). From what I could reference, the Land Cruiser intermediate shaft should be a mechanical plug and play for the LX (though not confirmed....yet).

I looked into the recall, and it is intended to replace a retainer clip that apparently slips out on some units. As part of the recall, they check the functionality of the VGRS unit. I assume this would be replaced as part of the recall if found defective, but the recall does not appear to guarantee fixing a VGRS issue.

Techstream shows an error code C1567 - Lock Mechanism Insertion Malfunction and also a TRAC error code C1289 - VGRS Malfunction, so solving the VGRS should solve the TRAC. Following the SM for C1567 diagnosis, it points to the actuator, which is how I assume the Lexus dealer recommended the same thing.

So I searched around for a good used Intermediate shaft assy, but ended up sourcing one from PartSouq for about the same price as I could find on eBay, etc... Still expensive, but a new unit. Swapped it out (not a quick or simple job). Hooked everything back up and tried to clear the VGRS code via Techstream.... with no success. Read on this forum that some have had better success with Mini-VCI cables with 2.0.4 version firmware. Ordered one, connected it to Techstream, and still no success. That brings us to today.

My planned next steps:
  • Per the SM, I can manually ground 2 pins repeatedly in a crazy time limited sequence to recalibrate the VGRS. My logic is the Mini-VCI is not a true Techstream unit, and might not be properly grounding the terminals to clear the code.
  • If that doesn't work, I'm looking for a replacement VGRS ECU. Fun part is it changed in 2005/2006 from 89181-60021 to 89181-60040. The 21 unit is available in the used market, and globally from other suppliers. However the 40 unit was apparently only released in the US market, and as a result Toyota has a tight grip on distribution per Dave @ Japan4x4. Also have not had any luck finding a used one. Best new price I can find so far is about $1600 delivered. Also this might mean I replaced a perfectly good actuator... The 21 unit might work in this truck, but it is an expensive experiment even for a used part.
  • OR, I cut my losses and leave it as-is, learn to ignore the lights, and move on. The jury is still out, but I'm not happy with the idea of no traction control because of the VGRS issue. And I hate unresolved issues.

Also, I did find out if the steering wheel is significantly off center, you can unplug the actuator and unlock the locking pawl directly w/ 12V to come close to center, then release and allow it to snap into the nearest slot (~+/- 5 degrees). This is in the SM.

Overall, VGRS is probably really nice to have when it is working (like AHC), but wow is it complicated and expensive if it is not....

More to come.
I actually bought a replacement and it didn’t work either

Just wanted to chime in a subscribe to this thread.
My new to me 06 LX also came with faulty VGRS. Techstream shows C1552 and C1554, and I'm unable to perform the calibration due to the codes being present. I have the solid LC shaft and my plan is to swap that in and see if I can get the light off the dash. No TRAC problems for me, just the VGRS light. I'm not too excited about spending $$ on a new ECU to see if that's the problem as I think the codes point more to the intermediate shaft being faulty.

My new to me 06 LX also came with faulty VGRS. Techstream shows C1552 and C1554, and I'm unable to perform the calibration due to the codes being present. I have the solid LC shaft and my plan is to swap that in and see if I can get the light off the dash. No TRAC problems for me, just the VGRS light. I'm not too excited about spending $$ on a new ECU to see if that's the problem as I think the codes point more to the intermediate shaft being faulty.

Please please let us know if you figure out how to get the vgrs light to turn off. I've found
reference in other threads to people doing this but not once could I find how!

This is the code I have:

@Jaredwyckoff is this the same you had?

20200304_190235.jpg

I actually disconnected the vgrs and it steers great

Hey guys, been lurking this site for a long time in an effort to solve my VGRS problems so here we go. Bought my dream car 2006 LX 189,000 miles runs and looks perfect. When i bought the truck, the steering wheel was already slightly off center however i assumed i could just get an alignment after buying it. Sadly, within a couple of days i was driving and the VGRS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC lights came on and the steering wheel became more off center. Ever since then, my steering wheel has been growing more and more off center and the lights will come on every couple times i drive it. I took it to a mechanic they said it needed a new steering rack, took it to lexus and they said i needed a new VGRS Ecu and quoted me at $3000, yeah right. I then took it to a family friend and toyota dealer who aligned it and attempted to recalibrate the ecu however the problems still persist. I’m at my wits end and just want to enjoy my damn truck without stressing about this anymore so I’m asking for advice as i’ve seen similar situations. Is it alright to just disconnect the ECU, and has anyone had luck replacing it with different parts, lastly, does anyone know a good source i could potentially find a replacement ECU for cheap?
from a Long time MUD fan and land cruiser enthusiast
Hey guys, so i disconnected the VGRS ecu, i know the VGRS light will be on but should the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC be as well?

Update: The used VGRS ECU I ordered is still making its way west from Dubai. After 2 stops in Europe, it is now in Cincinnati.

Hopefully it will be here by EOW and I can give it a try this weekend.

Hey guys, so i disconnected the VGRS ecu, i know the VGRS light will be on but should the VSC OFF and VSC TRAC be as well?

In my 2006, no. I have one plug disconnected from the VGRS computer (I think it's the middle plug - it's the plug on the wires going from the computer to the boot on the firewall) and all i get is the VGRS light. VSC OFF and VSC TRAC should NOT light up.

Last edited:
I don't think I understand your question...
I think he's asking if having no VGRS (ECU disconnected) will affect the vehicle.

does it affect the vehicle with the vsc lights on?
I'm no expert... But I've read that a lot of people have it disconnected and they are fine.

Just an annoying warning light on.

does it affect the vehicle with the vsc lights on?
I think he's asking if having no VGRS (ECU disconnected) will affect the vehicle.

I'm no expert... But I've read that a lot of people have it disconnected and they are fine.

Just an annoying warning light on.

So, if you only have a VGRS light on, then no, there are no other issues besides VGRS no longer adjusting your steering ratio. If you have a VSC light on, then your stability control is not functioning, which is generally considered a bad thing.

At christmas, I drove from Florida to Montana and back towing a small off road camping trailer through every sort of weather you can imagine, with the VGRS light on. Believe me, I used the hell out of traction control on the snowy/icy roads, and it worked fine. But, I DO NOT have any light on my dash except VGRS.

So, if you only have a VGRS light on, then no, there are no other issues besides VGRS no longer adjusting your steering ratio. If you have a VSC light on, then your stability control is not functioning, which is generally considered a bad thing.

At christmas, I drove from Florida to Montana and back towing a small off road camping trailer through every sort of weather you can imagine, with the VGRS light on. Believe me, I used the hell out of traction control on the snowy/icy roads, and it worked fine. But, I DO NOT have any light on my dash except VGRS.
Interesting, i’m gonna check my ecu connection again then. it should only be the center plug unplugged correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom