2006 Lexus LX470 VGRS issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, been lurking this site for a long time in an effort to solve my VGRS problems so here we go. Bought my dream car 2006 LX 189,000 miles runs and looks perfect. When i bought the truck, the steering wheel was already slightly off center however i assumed i could just get an alignment after buying it. Sadly, within a couple of days i was driving and the VGRS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC lights came on and the steering wheel became more off center. Ever since then, my steering wheel has been growing more and more off center and the lights will come on every couple times i drive it. I took it to a mechanic they said it needed a new steering rack, took it to lexus and they said i needed a new VGRS Ecu and quoted me at $3000, yeah right. I then took it to a family friend and toyota dealer who aligned it and attempted to recalibrate the ecu however the problems still persist. I’m at my wits end and just want to enjoy my damn truck without stressing about this anymore so I’m asking for advice as i’ve seen similar situations. Is it alright to just disconnect the ECU, and has anyone had luck replacing it with different parts, lastly, does anyone know a good source i could potentially find a replacement ECU for cheap?
from a Long time MUD fan and land cruiser enthusiast

I suggest you allow a trusted shop to make the call. That module is difficult to access without TIS (lla snap on zues, or autel maxi can't access it ) so without monitoring data and dtcs no one can tell you anything of use through a forum.

As mentioned, best bet is probably to get a laptop running toyota TIS. You'll be able to read the actual codes off the VGRS computer and maybe have a better idea what the problem is.

One nice thing that VGRS allows is for you to reset the centerpoint of the steering wheel in relation to straight ahead travel via a maintenance feature. You could try doing that maintenance procedure and see if that solves your problem, but I suspect it won't.

Then, you have the option of disconnecting the VGRS module from the VGRS computer. I did this as my VGRS system works fine, but I don't like it. This WILL cause a constant VGRS light on your dash, but I'm learning to ignore it. When you disconnect the module, the steering shaft remains physically coupled by some sort of pawl lock but can no longer change it's ratio. You can run it like that indefinitely. I have had mine that way for about 2 years now, and everything works fine except the VGRS light on the dash - no VSC/TRAC or any other sort of warning light.

To do that, you have to get under the driver's dash and trace the wire bundle that goes into the VGRS module on the firewall back up to the module it plugs into under the dash. It sits kinda next to/below the steering shaft. It's a bit of a bear. I THINK it's the central plug on the computer module but I couldn't swear on it. Use a screw driver to gently push in the detent while prying the plug out. Leave all the other plugs installed.

This should at least leave the VGRS module disconnected, which means your steering will no longer change it's center position, but if your VGRS computer is messed up, you might still get other warning lights. Clear codes and see if they stay away, and verify your only remaining light is the VGRS one. Disconnecting the VGRS module on the firewall will cause some VGRS related codes but they won't trigger a check engine light.

Last thing you could do is swap out the VGRS steering column for a non-vgrs column, but all that will do is eliminate the lock pawl. I believe you will still have the VGRS light even if you toss the VGRS computer, but I could be wrong on that. I haven't done it myself - it's far cheaper and easier for me to just learn to ignore that light on my dash.

Last edited:
As mentioned, best bet is probably to get a laptop running toyota TIS. You'll be able to read the actual codes off the VGRS computer and maybe have a better idea what the problem is.

One nice thing that VGRS allows is for you to reset the centerpoint of the steering wheel in relation to straight ahead travel via a maintenance feature. You could try doing that maintenance procedure and see if that solves your problem, but I suspect it won't.

Then, you have the option of disconnecting the VGRS module from the VGRS computer. I did this as my VGRS system works fine, but I don't like it. This WILL cause a constant VGRS light on your dash, but I'm learning to ignore it. When you disconnect the module, the steering shaft is coupled by some sort of pawl lock. You can run it like that indefinitely. I have had mine that way for about 2 years now, and everything works fine except the VGRS light on the dash - no VSC/TRAC or any other sort of warning light.

To do that, you have to get under the driver's dash and trace the wire bundle that goes into the VGRS module on the firewall back up to the module it plugs into under the dash. It's a bit of a bear. I THINK it's the central plug on the computer module but I couldn't swear on it. Use a screw driver to gently push in the detent while prying the plug out. Leave all the other plugs installed.

This should at least leave the VGRS module disconnected, which means your steering will no longer change it's center position, but if your VGRS computer is messed up, you might still get other warning lights. If that solves the problem, clear codes and see if they stay away. Disconnecting the VGRS module on the firewall will cause some VGRS related codes but they won't trigger a check engine light.

Last thing you could do is swap out the VGRS steering column for a non-vgrs column, but all that will do is eliminate the lock pawl. I believe you will still have the VGRS light even if you toss the VGRS computer, but I could be wrong on that. I haven't done it myself - it's far cheaper and easier for me to just learn to ignore that light on my dash.
Solid advice, is it possible to pull the bulb for the vgrs light for those that don't like looking at it? I'd probably unplug it as mentioned if it ever started malfunctioning and try to pull the bulb since it would probably bother me...

Solid advice, is it possible to pull the bulb for the vgrs light for those that don't like looking at it? I'd probably unplug it as mentioned if it ever started malfunctioning and try to pull the bulb since it would probably bother me...

I have heard it's possible, I just haven't tried it yet. May be something I tackle in the near future as I HATE warning lights! A lot of modern dash clusters are all wire trace stuff though, so no idea if it's possible to remove that one light or not.

I have the same issue after a dead battery. I'm ignoring the Christmas lights on the dash.

Hopefully you can find the problem.

Then, you have the option of disconnecting the VGRS module from the VGRS computer. I did this as my VGRS system works fine, but I don't like it. This WILL cause a constant VGRS light on your dash, but I'm learning to ignore it. When you disconnect the module, the steering shaft remains physically coupled by some sort of pawl lock but can no longer change it's ratio. You can run it like that indefinitely. I have had mine that way for about 2 years now, and everything works fine except the VGRS light on the dash - no VSC/TRAC or any other sort of warning light.

To do that, you have to get under the driver's dash and trace the wire bundle that goes into the VGRS module on the firewall back up to the module it plugs into under the dash. It sits kinda next to/below the steering shaft. It's a bit of a bear. I THINK it's the central plug on the computer module but I couldn't swear on it. Use a screw driver to gently push in the detent while prying the plug out. Leave all the other plugs installed.

This should at least leave the VGRS module disconnected, which means your steering will no longer change it's center position, but if your VGRS computer is messed up, you might still get other warning lights. Clear codes and see if they stay away, and verify your only remaining light is the VGRS one. Disconnecting the VGRS module on the firewall will cause some VGRS related codes but they won't trigger a check engine light.

Take a small piece of black electrical tape and stick it on the dash over the VGRS light. On my GS430 when the headlight leveling sensor went out, I eliminated the system and because the light was pissing me off on the dash, just out a piece of tape. I don’t even notice it now.

Get a laptop with Techstream running. Find the real problem. I guarantee you don't need to spend $3k at a dealer to fix it.

If this is your dream car, don't go neutering it by removing nice features because of a little diagnostic hurdle.

Used ecus are plentiful. Racks are around a grand or less.

Having owned a non vgrs and now vgrs, I would spend quite a bit to keep that feature. I love it.

Get a laptop with Techstream running. Find the real problem. I guarantee you don't need to spend $3k at a dealer to fix it.

If this is your dream car, don't go neutering it by removing nice features because of a little diagnostic hurdle.

Used ecus are plentiful. Racks are around a grand or less.

Having owned a non vgrs and now vgrs, I would spend quite a bit to keep that feature. I love it.

That's hilarious! I love AHC but am not at all a fan of VGRS. Return to center doesn't always get it right, I constantly smash the stop when turning the wheel in parking lots because it goes to a super quick ratio when going slow, weird feeling steering sometimes when it's adjusting ratio, etc.

To each their own, I'm happier without it! But agree 100% some techstream troubleshooting will give him some better options than the mechanic or dealer have.

I DO use the VGRS module to recenter my steering wheel after an alignment tho. That's a great feature - way easier than playing with tie rods!

If your mechanic wasn't at a Lexus Dealership, I suggest you take to one. Let them diagnosis. There was a recall that "may be" what your issue is, or may lead to a free solution!

Recall Details​

A snap ring securing the steering shaft may disengage in the event of severe impact of the front wheel. If the snap ring is disengaged and the steering wheel is repeatedly turned to the lock position, over time, the steering shaft could become disconnected. This would result in loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the snap ring with a newly designed one and install an additional device to prevent separation of the steering shaft. This recall is expected to begin on August 23, 2010.

Last edited:
Long time lurker when I had an 80 many moons ago. Recently acquired a 2006 LX 470 for a great deal due to the VGRS & TRAC lights being on. Figured I can fix it, one way or another. Unfortunately I still am in the middle, but wanted to share what I've done so far and hopefully how I end up solving it....

The PO had Lexus diagnose the issue, unsuccessfully try to recalibrate it, and then quote him $5k to fix it and said the actuator was faulty and needed to be replaced.

From what I can tell from the SM and some web searches, the VGRS system is basically 2 units: the steering intermediate shaft (45220-60202) and the ECU that controls it.

A non VGRS truck (ex: most Land Cruisers), the steering intermediate shaft is literally just a shaft with a couple of flex joints (45203-60090). For the LX, it is a motor on the input side of a harmonic gear set. Kinda neat, but explains why it is such an expensive part (~4k MSRP). From what I could reference, the Land Cruiser intermediate shaft should be a mechanical plug and play for the LX (though not confirmed....yet).

I looked into the recall, and it is intended to replace a retainer clip that apparently slips out on some units. As part of the recall, they check the functionality of the VGRS unit. I assume this would be replaced as part of the recall if found defective, but the recall does not appear to guarantee fixing a VGRS issue.

Techstream shows an error code C1567 - Lock Mechanism Insertion Malfunction and also a TRAC error code C1289 - VGRS Malfunction, so solving the VGRS should solve the TRAC. Following the SM for C1567 diagnosis, it points to the actuator, which is how I assume the Lexus dealer recommended the same thing.

So I searched around for a good used Intermediate shaft assy, but ended up sourcing one from PartSouq for about the same price as I could find on eBay, etc... Still expensive, but a new unit. Swapped it out (not a quick or simple job). Hooked everything back up and tried to clear the VGRS code via Techstream.... with no success. Read on this forum that some have had better success with Mini-VCI cables with 2.0.4 version firmware. Ordered one, connected it to Techstream, and still no success. That brings us to today.

My planned next steps:
  • Per the SM, I can manually ground 2 pins repeatedly in a crazy time limited sequence to recalibrate the VGRS. My logic is the Mini-VCI is not a true Techstream unit, and might not be properly grounding the terminals to clear the code.
  • If that doesn't work, I'm looking for a replacement VGRS ECU. Fun part is it changed in 2005/2006 from 89181-60021 to 89181-60040. The 21 unit is available in the used market, and globally from other suppliers. However the 40 unit was apparently only released in the US market, and as a result Toyota has a tight grip on distribution per Dave @ Japan4x4. Also have not had any luck finding a used one. Best new price I can find so far is about $1600 delivered. Also this might mean I replaced a perfectly good actuator... The 21 unit might work in this truck, but it is an expensive experiment even for a used part.
  • OR, I cut my losses and leave it as-is, learn to ignore the lights, and move on. The jury is still out, but I'm not happy with the idea of no traction control because of the VGRS issue. And I hate unresolved issues.

Also, I did find out if the steering wheel is significantly off center, you can unplug the actuator and unlock the locking pawl directly w/ 12V to come close to center, then release and allow it to snap into the nearest slot (~+/- 5 degrees). This is in the SM.

Overall, VGRS is probably really nice to have when it is working (like AHC), but wow is it complicated and expensive if it is not....

More to come.

Hey guys, been lurking this site for a long time in an effort to solve my VGRS problems so here we go. Bought my dream car 2006 LX 189,000 miles runs and looks perfect. When i bought the truck, the steering wheel was already slightly off center however i assumed i could just get an alignment after buying it. Sadly, within a couple of days i was driving and the VGRS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC lights came on and the steering wheel became more off center. Ever since then, my steering wheel has been growing more and more off center and the lights will come on every couple times i drive it. I took it to a mechanic they said it needed a new steering rack, took it to lexus and they said i needed a new VGRS Ecu and quoted me at $3000, yeah right. I then took it to a family friend and toyota dealer who aligned it and attempted to recalibrate the ecu however the problems still persist. I’m at my wits end and just want to enjoy my damn truck without stressing about this anymore so I’m asking for advice as i’ve seen similar situations. Is it alright to just disconnect the ECU, and has anyone had luck replacing it with different parts, lastly, does anyone know a good source i could potentially find a replacement ECU for cheap?
from a Long time MUD fan and land cruiser enthusiast
Hello I have a 03 LX470 with a similar VGRS problem. C1569 no lights including no check engine light. Steering wheel is off to the left. I hate it. Also looking for a fix. Following this thread.

Long time lurker when I had an 80 many moons ago. Recently acquired a 2006 LX 470 for a great deal due to the VGRS & TRAC lights being on. Figured I can fix it, one way or another. Unfortunately I still am in the middle, but wanted to share what I've done so far and hopefully how I end up solving it....

The PO had Lexus diagnose the issue, unsuccessfully try to recalibrate it, and then quote him $5k to fix it and said the actuator was faulty and needed to be replaced.

From what I can tell from the SM and some web searches, the VGRS system is basically 2 units: the steering intermediate shaft (45220-60202) and the ECU that controls it.

A non VGRS truck (ex: most Land Cruisers), the steering intermediate shaft is literally just a shaft with a couple of flex joints (45203-60090). For the LX, it is a motor on the input side of a harmonic gear set. Kinda neat, but explains why it is such an expensive part (~4k MSRP). From what I could reference, the Land Cruiser intermediate shaft should be a mechanical plug and play for the LX (though not confirmed....yet).

I looked into the recall, and it is intended to replace a retainer clip that apparently slips out on some units. As part of the recall, they check the functionality of the VGRS unit. I assume this would be replaced as part of the recall if found defective, but the recall does not appear to guarantee fixing a VGRS issue.

Techstream shows an error code C1567 - Lock Mechanism Insertion Malfunction and also a TRAC error code C1289 - VGRS Malfunction, so solving the VGRS should solve the TRAC. Following the SM for C1567 diagnosis, it points to the actuator, which is how I assume the Lexus dealer recommended the same thing.

So I searched around for a good used Intermediate shaft assy, but ended up sourcing one from PartSouq for about the same price as I could find on eBay, etc... Still expensive, but a new unit. Swapped it out (not a quick or simple job). Hooked everything back up and tried to clear the VGRS code via Techstream.... with no success. Read on this forum that some have had better success with Mini-VCI cables with 2.0.4 version firmware. Ordered one, connected it to Techstream, and still no success. That brings us to today.

My planned next steps:
  • Per the SM, I can manually ground 2 pins repeatedly in a crazy time limited sequence to recalibrate the VGRS. My logic is the Mini-VCI is not a true Techstream unit, and might not be properly grounding the terminals to clear the code.
  • If that doesn't work, I'm looking for a replacement VGRS ECU. Fun part is it changed in 2005/2006 from 89181-60021 to 89181-60040. The 21 unit is available in the used market, and globally from other suppliers. However the 40 unit was apparently only released in the US market, and as a result Toyota has a tight grip on distribution per Dave @ Japan4x4. Also have not had any luck finding a used one. Best new price I can find so far is about $1600 delivered. Also this might mean I replaced a perfectly good actuator... The 21 unit might work in this truck, but it is an expensive experiment even for a used part.
  • OR, I cut my losses and leave it as-is, learn to ignore the lights, and move on. The jury is still out, but I'm not happy with the idea of no traction control because of the VGRS issue. And I hate unresolved issues.

Also, I did find out if the steering wheel is significantly off center, you can unplug the actuator and unlock the locking pawl directly w/ 12V to come close to center, then release and allow it to snap into the nearest slot (~+/- 5 degrees). This is in the SM.

Overall, VGRS is probably really nice to have when it is working (like AHC), but wow is it complicated and expensive if it is not....

More to come.

Update - the manual reset via wires had no effect. Could be it didn’t solve the problem, or I’m just not good enough to make all the the time limited moves!

In other developments, 2 used 40 units popped up on eBay this morning. Decided to go ahead and try it and bought one of them.

The saga continues...

Update - the manual reset via wires had no effect. Could be it didn’t solve the problem, or I’m just not good enough to make all the the time limited moves!

In other developments, 2 used 40 units popped up on eBay this morning. Decided to go ahead and try it and bought one of them.

The saga continues...
Let me know if that's the fix... I've been living with it for a while.

Not sure if it would help or not, but I know disconnecting the VGRS module from the VGRS computer does not cause TRAC/VSC lights. Might be worth trying that as a toubleshooting step. If the lights still come back on, it definitely would point to the computer being bad versus the module on the firewall.

I'll try that.
Not sure if it would help or not, but I know disconnecting the VGRS module from the VGRS computer does not cause TRAC/VSC lights. Might be worth trying that as a toubleshooting step. If the lights still come back on, it definitely would point to the computer being bad versus the module on the firewall.

The saga continues...
Can you please send me the link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom