2000 Land Cruiser Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if the A750 (5-spd) transmission will be a proper fit in a 2000 Land Cruiser without too many modifications to the bell housing? I dumped my transmission at 159k yesterday and now I'm looking at replacing it with a new one. I've read where the 5-spd is a lot better for towing and generally more reliable than the 4-spd, so I was curious if it could fit correctly.

I believe the real issue is the electronics. From what I've read you would also need a new ECU mate the A750 to the engine. Perhaps harness too?

An A750 swap would be a very popular mod if possible...

This is sounding like a great RobRed mod in the making... :) Looking forward to the sticky.

There's gotta be enough doner A750s out there with their use in the trucks and 4R. Someone with and engineering mind could probably make it happen given time and resources. Heck, crowd fund it.

Transmission on my 100 series went out yesterday at 205k. Towed a travel trailer up the ALCAN highway 5000+ miles just fine then died going down the freeway unloaded. Toyota has priced a new one installed at 3400 here in AK, getting some quotes on a rebuild too before I decide which way to go. Any new vs rebuild tips for me? The only symptom I had is about 2 weeks ago it was hard to shift from P into D. Wife drives it more than I do so I didn't notice anything else.

@milkyxj Are you 100% positive it needs a new transmission? I have heard of stripped drive flanges or busted axle parts causing symptoms lke a bad transmission, but those things would be easier to fix.

If indeed you need a transmission and kendall toyota in anchorage will install a new (rebuilt?) A343F from Toyota in Japan for $3400, then I would do that. You can probably save a few hundred dollars going with a rebuild, but who knows what you might get. I am actually surprised you can get the legit Toyota transmission installed at the dealer in Alaska for 3400. Kendall Toyota used to gouge on parts and labor, but maybe they are improving?

I was surprised by the 3400 quote as well. And they said that is for a new Toyota transmission. I was expecting more like 4-5k. Not the drive flanges, I was really hoping it would be an easier fix. I'm leaning towards the Toyota transmission even if it costs a little more. I keep hearing horror stories on rebuilds that die after a year.

Wasn't there something posted a while back about Toyota being out of new A343F units and substituting with factory remans? Or was that a different part?

Mine dumped at 263k, I guess I got lucky. I do drive like my grandmother though.

Well boys mine hit the dust! Infamous. 100% power loss. Planetary gear explosion likely. Freeway speeds sudden loud crack and loss of power.

Towed to the trans shop for a rebuild.. will find out more shortly. 135k 2000 LX470 AF343F.

Well boys mine hit the dust! Infamous. 100% power loss. Planetary gear explosion likely. Freeway speeds sudden loud crack and loss of power.

Towed to the trans shop for a rebuild.. will find out more shortly. 135k 2000 LX470 AF343F.
Is this issue only on the 2000 model?

It's a bad bushing. Affects 2000 through early 2001. Don't know if we have a exact date range. Failure rate is still only about 5%.

I must be lucky. My 2000 just turned 260k on Original tranny and is still the best shifting trans I've owned.

Mine has 192,000 still cruisin. 2000 uzj100.

It's a bad bushing. Affects 2000 through early 2001. Don't know if we have a exact date range. Failure rate is still only about 5%.
Any data on maintenance records.

Like did failures happen even when ATF regularly fully flushed, and what type AFT was used??

Good questions. To add if it has not already been mentioned:
What is the cost of just replacing the bushing in question before any issues, or would this be worth the effort as a precaution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom