200 Series Windshield Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About right. It was $1450 for my LX done at the dealer by their installer. I paid $400 OOP after I insisted on OEM.

it’s on windshield #4

Pilkington is not a match for OEM quality. On mine the rain sensor bracket isn’t square with the windshield, the VIN window doesn’t line up with the tag, and the wiper deicers might as well not exist, based on how the wipers ice up in bad weather. Yes I’ve verified they are plugged in with a thermal camera.

That sounds right. The LC windshields are a tad thicker than the average so it is OEM. The calibration is also correct for a 2018. It's for all of the sensors and cameras and modern stuff. And it's not SafeLight... The irony is if you where paying out of pocket they would probably sweeten the deal. But tell them you are going thru insurance. They might deal with your insurance company on your behalf.

That sounds right. The LC windshields are a tad thicker than the average so it is OEM. The calibration is also correct for a 2018. It's for all of the sensors and cameras and modern stuff. And it's not SafeLight... The irony is if you where paying out of pocket they would probably sweeten the deal. But tell them you are going thru insurance. They might deal with your insurance company on your behalf.
The point is to avoid them at all costs.

So just a follow up, Safelite came out and said that the crack was to large and it would have to be replaced.

The tech stated "there is no aftermarket glass and it would have to be OEM." He went on to say it would have to be calibrated by a Toyota dealer, so "might as well just have the whole thing done by the dealer."

I prepared for a fight with the insurance, but they said give them an estimate from the dealer and when I did, they approved it same day.

The dealer will have to order the glass but I would rather wait and have it done right.

So just a follow up, Safelite came out and said that the crack was to large and it would have to be replaced.

The tech stated "there is no aftermarket glass and it would have to be OEM." He went on to say it would have to be calibrated by a Toyota dealer, so "might as well just have the whole thing done by the dealer."

I prepared for a fight with the insurance, but they said give them an estimate from the dealer and when I did, they approved it same day.

The dealer will have to order the glass but I would rather wait and have it done right.

Interesting, Safelite here in LA area ,they were able to recalibrate but entire work had to be done at their shop. Flipside my local dealer outsources replacement of the glass , work is done at the dealership afterwords dealer performs the calibration. One point I have to make third party tech dealer referred me was very knowledgeable with scope of the work.
Initially my insurance company referred me to Safelite and it's direct pay while they also offered me the option to use the Toyota dealer with reimbursement. If I remember dealer was $400 more.

Very unlikely the dealer will do the glass themselves, but whoever they use should have plenty of experience with Toyotas which will improve chances of being familiar with their peculiarities. Also should increase likelihood of using new factory trim and clips. I’d take a few pictures of details like how the VIN aligns through the window and the original upper windshield horizontal trim to compare before/after. I try not to be annoying to the few techs that do work on my truck but this is one place you want it to be perfect.

@bloc Do you have an example of what you mean by the upper horizontal trim comparison? What would I look for if it's "wrong"? Would it just not be centered or angled to one side? Local dealership quoted me $1100 for just the glass. Who knows on replacement as they bring in an outside vendor (Caliber?) to perform the replacement. The parts department guy didn't mention anything about calibration. So I'm sure that's extra too. Too bad vehicle warranty doesn't cover this :)

I went through a car wash today (I know, stupid). The cold water caused a chip which I had not noticed just below the passenger wiper to turn into a 10"+ crack. So it's time to call insurance. UGH.

@bloc Do you have an example of what you mean by the upper horizontal trim comparison? What would I look for if it's "wrong"? Would it just not be centered or angled to one side? Local dealership quoted me $1100 for just the glass. Who knows on replacement as they bring in an outside vendor (Caliber?) to perform the replacement. The parts department guy didn't mention anything about calibration. So I'm sure that's extra too. Too bad vehicle warranty doesn't cover this :)

I went through a car wash today (I know, stupid). The cold water caused a chip which I had not noticed just below the passenger wiper to turn into a 10"+ crack. So it's time to call insurance. UGH.
Pictures and details here: Windshield whistle... fixed? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/windshield-whistle-fixed.1095730/

View attachment 2519603
(...)
So hope my horrid experience sways you away from these butchers.

O hell, how did they do it that wrong??

Even those guys in africa was able to do a front screen replacement - on my trip from switzerland to south africa. They couldnt enable the rainsensor too.

DSC01613.JPG

6-8 workers seems to help against damage :rofl: Got cracked again on the same journey again in botswana.

What is happens to the mentioned link in this Thread of GSIC - Global Service Information Center - It was very helpful in the last years! Today it is not about toyota anymore.

trippin

Any South Denver recommendations for a new windshield that LC 200 Owners have had good experience? Groove Toyota does not replace windshields, but offered to do the reprogramming of sensors (2-3hrs) once the windshield is replaced. I want Toyota OEM glass as replacement.

Any South Denver recommendations for a new windshield that LC 200 Owners have had good experience? Groove Toyota does not replace windshields, but offered to do the reprogramming of sensors (2-3hrs) once the windshield is replaced. I want Toyota OEM glass as replacement.
@HighRanch I'm going with Stevinson Toyota in Lakewood. It's a bit of a drive for me (hour-ish) but I think it will be worth it. I called them yesterday, and for my 2018, they quoted out $1096 just for the glass. They also said they have Caliber Auto Glass do the replacement. I use State Farm for my insurance, so I've already opened a claim with them. Caliber should be giving me a call soon. From what Stevinson told me, Caliber will come on-site to do the replacement. I didn't ask about the sensor calibration, but I will when I talk to Caliber.

Well unfortunately I'm reviving this thread☹️. Had a rock hit the windshield on my way back to New Mexico Tuesday and caused an 8 inch crack so far and growing. This is on my 21 H.E. Man this really sucks. I was able to get a new OEM glass from American Toyota already for 750 bucks and will be having Horizon Auto Glass do the install. Wish me luck!

Well unfortunately I'm reviving this thread☹️. Had a rock hit the windshield on my way back to New Mexico Tuesday and caused an 8 inch crack so far and growing. This is on my 21 H.E. Man this really sucks. I was able to get a new OEM glass from American Toyota already for 750 bucks and will be having Horizon Auto Glass do the install. Wish me luck!
If it makes you feel any better I just bought a 2021 LC200 a week ago and 30 minutes into my drive home with it I took a rock and a nice little crack that spread and then turned around to start spreading across toward the center.

I called a local glass shop with great reviews and they said they didn’t have a guy for a Cruiser and recommended Safelite.

I used safe lite. It’s not OEM glass. I can’t tell any noticeable sound difference and I was looking for it.
They said they will do OEM but you need to request it in advance. The lady I spoke with mentioned that because she says she knows Land Cruiser owners are particular about their vehicles.

Last edited:
They said they will do OEM but you need to request it in advance. The lady I spoke with mentioned that because she says she knows Land Cruiser owners are particular about there vehicles.

Funny.
True.

I’ll do that next time because there will be a next time

@HighRanch I'm going with Stevinson Toyota in Lakewood. It's a bit of a drive for me (hour-ish) but I think it will be worth it. I called them yesterday, and for my 2018, they quoted out $1096 just for the glass. They also said they have Caliber Auto Glass do the replacement. I use State Farm for my insurance, so I've already opened a claim with them. Caliber should be giving me a call soon. From what Stevinson told me, Caliber will come on-site to do the replacement. I didn't ask about the sensor calibration, but I will when I talk to Caliber.
How did your Caliber experience work out for your windshield replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom