Builds Joltman's Build: The Overkill Weekender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a vehicle search on my hands back in September 2019. I'll spare you the long backstory. I thought I wanted a Sequoia. I had done some research and knew it could be lifted but I was finding little else in the way of modifications. There was some urgency on my side, so I went through with the purchase. During the purchase phase and even after I was doing more and more research and the Land Cruiser kept coming back into my search results. I found this forum and was reading build threads and everything I could find on particular mods I wanted. It became pretty clear that the Land Cruiser was the right platform for what I wanted to do.

I drove the vehicle daily for about 6 months. I never fell in love with the truck. It was a beast. One could say, it's the size of a big tree. And then, the COVID-19 lockdowns. I didn't drive the truck for nearly 6 months. I didn't miss it. More and more research on the Land Cruiser. Then in late 2020 I read rumors that the Land Cruiser was going to be discontinued in the US. After some math with the wife, I was approved to start the search for a Land Cruiser. Eventually, I found one not more than 15 miles away. A pearl white, 2018 Land Cruiser for a good price. I emailed the dealership and that evening, I had signed on the dotted line!

I was itching to take the truck out on a trail. I had spent over a year researching and watching videos of others wheeling their trucks and I wanted in! I had posted on Mud asking for trails nearby. I was told a local club (Rising Sun) was about to have an annual wheeling trip and they said I could come along. I gladly accepted. That weekend, I packed up the family and we headed out. This was an important trip because it could have made or broke the reason I purchased the truck. I wanted to wheel and camp! But I'd never wheeled before. Crazy to buy a truck for that reason without having done it before, right? We hit the trail with the club and afterwards and the wife and I were hooked.

So what's the point of this thread? It's a build thread! This truck is going to be something for my family to enjoy on the weekend. I'll be honest, I like comfort. I'd like to build this truck up to be super comfortable for my family and I over a weekend camping/wheeling trip or long road trip. This is also my daily driver. I know all these modifications will really kill the MPG, but that's the price to pay for the goals of the build. With all that being said, I'm a novice at wheeling. I'd love to hear any and all ideas the community has on this build.

Here's the phased approach I've decided on for the truck:

PHASE 1, BASICS:

NaviPlus Android Auto
DashCam
Spare Air Compressor
Lift
Tires
Sliders

PHASE 2, NECESSITIES:

Recovery Gear
First Aid
Fire Extinguishers (Front and Rear)

PHASE 3, ELECTRICS

Lead Acid & AGM Battery with DCDC Charger and Relay Module for jumping between batteries
Under Hood Fuse & Switched Relay Block
Rear Fuse Block
Primary Air Compressor (ARB Dual)
HAM radio(s)
CB Radio
Refrigerator
Internal/External lights (under hood, rear hatch, various driving lights, camping lights, rock lights, rear dust lights)

PHASE 4, SAFETY AND RECOVERY

Bull Bar w/ Winch and Synthetic Rope
Various winch recovery gear
Rear Bumper w/Swingouts
Skid Plates
Extending Breathers

PHASE 5, STORAGE

Trekboxx
Inverter
Roof Rack (?)
Awning (?)

PHASE 0: Purchase the truck

COMPLETE!

The wife wanted something a bit different. I convinced her to get the truck in the back.

ValerieTeasingLambo.jpg

Here's a few photos of the truck just after purchase.

LC200_BeautyShot_01.jpg

LC200_BeautyShot_02.jpg

Here's a couple from the vehicle's first trip off road.

LC200_SlaughterHouse_01.jpg

LC200_SlaughterHouse_02.jpg

Last edited:
PHASE 1:

This is the little guy helping out daddy with the NaviPlus install.
LC200_NP_Install_01.jpg

After the first wheeling trip, we wanted a little more safety while wheeling. The stock tires worked, but we were worried they would tear off-road. Not to mention how lucky we were to only scratch the running boards. It was time for an upgrade.

After a lot of reading I decided on Nitto Ridge Grappler LT 285/70/R18 on the stock rims and the OME BP-51 shocks and lift. I spoke with Christo and Amory at Slee. They suggested I add SpiderTrax spacers to help the tire clear the KDSS arm. And while we were at it, let's throw on some sliders. Here's the before:

LC200_PreSlee.jpg

And the obligatory Slee photo. I think it looks great sitting on 2722 rear springs. Exactly what I was picturing.

LC200_PostSlee.jpg

LC200_PostSlee_TiresLift.jpg

LC200_PostSlee_Slider.jpg

Last edited:
There were a couple set backs along the way. First off, before I installed the NaviPlus unit, I was thinking I'd utilize the stock USB location. To do that, I needed a USB-PAC cable. There is a local car audio shop nearby that sold them. I took a little drive to go see them. While I was on the highway, a car in the far right lane kicked up what looked like a piece of siding. The siding hit the hood, bounced and hit the driver's side A pillar. Awesome. There was a huge scuff on the hood and the A pillar had chips of paint missing.

LC200_HoodScuff.jpg

LC200_APillarChips.jpg

I got a hold of a body shop and took the vehicle there. After going several rounds with insurance, they decided they weren't going to pay for the paint manufacturer's and Toyota's recommended policy of painting the whole side of the vehicle. I was not happy. In the end, the shop suggested that I take the money insurance gave me, fix the hood, and use some touch up paint on the pillar and then cover it all in paint protection film. I covered the hood, the A pillars, the front fenders and 8" on the front of the roof. I was happy with this as it will protect the paint when we're wheeling. That was a couple weeks without the truck while it all got sorted out. I do need to add more PPF to protect the doors and rear pillars.
Secondly, the dreaded HVAC recirculation door issue. Before buying the truck I had read about the recirc door problem. I knew I should have checked for it. But the day I went to test drive the truck, I just totally forgot. I was too enamored. But the door was broken.
LC200_RecircDoor.jpg

Luckily, the factory warranty still applied until December of 2021 or 36000 miles. I booked an appointment at Stevinson Toyota in Lakewood. They told me that even though I had the CarFax that showed the vehicle being serviced at Toyota dealerships, that there was little chance anyone would claim that they broke the door. They also said that the local Toyota Regional Service Manager would have to come by to look at the door and see if replacement would be covered under warranty. The 200 was supposed to be gone for 2 days, but it ended up being 6. However, in the end, Toyota agreed to replace the unit. That's great, because otherwise it would have eaten into the mods budget!

Last edited:
I've been changing the oil in our vehicles for several years. I'm not an expert and it always showed after I finished the job. There was always oil splatters all over the garage floor. I had read about Jowett Performance Filter Housings and EZ Drain Valves. Everyone who's used them has had nothing but high praise. I ordered as much as I could back in November 2020 (two oil pan drain valves, 4 screw on covers, 2 drain nipples and the oil filter housing socket). I waited until Jowett had more filter housings in stock. Once he did, I bought 2, one for my wife's 2013 Highlander and one for the 200. Last weekend I did the oil change and swapped over to the new housings. I'm glad I did on the 200 because whoever did the previous change broke the plastic housing (which I guess is quite common). Swapping over the center filter tube and spring wasn't difficult at all. I even got a torque wrench to be sure I didn't over tighten the housing. I'm really looking forward to the next oil change!

These 200's have a lot of maintenance associated with them. One such item is the greasing of the drive shafts. I've got the grease guns and Lucas Red n Tacky 2 (for the U Joints) along with Valvoline Moly Fortified Grease for the expanding drive shaft. I ran out of time to do that maintenance last week during the oil change. I would like to get some heavy duty ramps for the 200 as my jack stands are too small after the lift! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
And now I'm getting ready to finish Phase 2 of the build. I've decided on a first aid kit from Outer Limit Supply. Probably the waterproof 6500. I'm not sure where to mount it though. Since this is a daily driver, on the back of the drivers seat isn't really feasible as I still need to put things/people there. And on the back of the front passenger seat won't work because there's my son's car seat right behind it. Maybe a molle panel on the back passenger storage window? I'd love some feedback from the community.

Then the fire extinguishers. There's a thread already on the forum so I'll be utilizing that. Once I've made up my mind, I'll share the mounting locations here.

Last edited:
Rhino Ramps are what I’m using. 16K lbs rated ones.
Yep. Same here. I use these more than my lift when working on the cruiser. I have 4, which is nice for getting underneath with lots of room. I have some of the Esco stands too, keep in mind you're not putting all of the weight of the vehicle on one or even a pair, so that 3 ton rating shouldn't scare you.

Yep. Same here. I use these more than my lift when working on the cruiser. I have 4, which is nice for getting underneath with lots of room. I have some of the Esco stands too, keep in mind you're not putting all of the weight of the vehicle on one or even a pair, so that 3 ton rating shouldn't scare you.
This is true and I should have thought of it. Either way, my jacks won't go high enough. But I'll check out the RhinoRamps. Thank you!

RhinoRamps are great. For jack stands use US Jack 6 tons. $180 a pair, well worth it. None of that big box stuff compares IMHO.

Nice! I suggest getting roof rack and awning now (if you haven't). If you want a roof tent, then order it this month. Some of those things may be harder to find when May rolls around.

Nice! I suggest getting roof rack and awning now (if you haven't). If you want a roof tent, then order it this month. Some of those things may be harder to find when May rolls around.
I'd love to, but my garage is only 7' tall. I'm just amazed the truck with the lift fit. I don't think an awning would fit at all. But I hear you on the backordered status of racks and awnings and other gear. Luckily, I'm planning on having this truck for a long time.

Suggest you drive a bit between phases and revise the plan as you need stuff.
This is definitely the plan. The next phase is listed as electrical, but I've only got the 4 RG tires and the stock spare. So do I go for electrical next, or a rear swing out that can carry the RG tire? The original spare will get me safely home if I go slow, but it would be nice to have that RG spare. Lots to think about.

This is definitely the plan. The next phase is listed as electrical, but I've only got the 4 RG tires and the stock spare. So do I go for electrical next, or a rear swing out that can carry the RG tire? The original spare will get me safely home if I go slow, but it would be nice to have that RG spare. Lots to think about.
Any reason you haven’t purchased the spare yet? If you’re worried about size, you shouldn’t have a problem with it fitting in the stock spare location. I have LT285/75 17” Ridge Grapplers (34”), fits fine.

Any reason you haven’t purchased the spare yet? If you’re worried about size, you shouldn’t have a problem with it fitting in the stock spare location. I have LT285/75 17” Ridge Grapplers (34”), fits fine.
I had asked that question before the install. I was told that the 285/70/R18 wouldn't fit in the spare location. I've read here a few success stories, but no detailed info on removing a bracket that could block the tire from tucking fully underneath the chassis. What I need to do (which I've not had time to do yet) is take down the current spare, take off a wheel and just try it. There's a blizzard happening right now, so I doubt I'll get the chance this weekend. Maybe next weekend. I'll also need the torque spec on the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom