200 favorite Rock Sliders (1 Viewer)

what are the best rock sliders for the 200?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a vote on the best sliders for the 200 series. I know there are quite a few threads on this over the years but being that I'm currently in the market to finally ditch my running boards...i thought id make a new updated thread with a Poll.

Let me know if i'm missing any good candidates, but from what I've found, these are the main players:

• White Knuckle off-road
• Slee
• Metal tech
• Trail Tailor
• Bud Built

For me personally in my search this is what I'm looking for:

• Not a total pain to install. I was originally drawn to the BudBuilt (due to lack of drilling), but now the feedback im getting is they are just as much work to install as all the others. I'm not too mechanically inclined and don't have an indoor space to work on my truck so just looking for sliders that aren't a complete pain

• Old people and little kid-friendly

Iron pig off-road are the best ;)

Slee. Having set my truck down on them in Ouray, it's all I'll ever put on trucks.

M
I don't see 200 series sliders on Iron Pig website (Iron Pig Off Road). The only ones they show are metaltech and BudBuilt for the 200.

They are weld on?[/QUOTE

mine are welded on - I had them installed ~3 years ago. It does look like they are reselling Metaltech now.

May as well have included:
“Is Apple or Windows best?”

Answer: It depends.

Same for sliders.

-Do you want a step surface?
-Bolt on or weld?
-Are you trying to go low profile?
-Are you concerned with weight?
-Is SUPER strength necessary for your wheeling style?
-Do you prefer a kick-out?
-Are you rock crawling or dirt roading?
-Are you in Colorado...or the rain forest?
-Do you want custom options?

“Best” just ain’t very objective. It needs a ton o clarifying Qs.

Last edited:
I went with the White Knuckle sliders because the kick out provides a larger step area for my kids climbing in and out of the back all the time. I lookedat MetalTech as well but I like the full diamond plating which provides extra grip. To me they were the most kid friendly.

If you don't care about the kick out I think all of the sliders listed will do their job and offer similar step functionality.

FWIW TT and BB weren't available except as a custom fab when I purchased mine, so I really just looked at WK, MT, and Slee

FWIW, here are the MetalTech Sliders. Laser cut and formed. They use rivnuts which are a bit time consuming and there are a few holes to drill. Just get a couple of sharp new bits ahead of time and you'll be good.

(I'm not a MetalTech employee or partner, however I will be helping with their booth at Expo West. Come and see the truck and sliders in person if you're down that way!).

20180203_052740876_iOS.jpg
20180206_010707712_iOS.jpg
20180206_010738839_iOS.jpg
20180206_010840946_iOS.jpg
20180206_010856502_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see 200 series sliders on Iron Pig website (Iron Pig Off Road). The only ones they show are metaltech and BudBuilt for the 200.

They are weld on?
Yes welded on - If you look at the IPOR slider page they are similar to what they display.I am pretty sure they are a customized version of what they put on the 80s. Anyway, they have a step for my daughters and have taken nasty hits - never had to torque any bolts, etc because they are not there ;)

I agree with @Markuson, there is no "best". it's like the best oil, the best oil filter, the best tire, on and on.

I appreciate the all the photos that show the sliders installed, but I would also like to see some photos of them uninstalled, and close ups of the mounts, so we can get a better idea of what is involved. Like, what EXACTLY has to be done to install the BudBuilts, etc. A "pain" for some is no problem for others, depending on skill level, tools access, shop space, etc.

The guys at Iron Pig are long time friends with Bud of BudBuilt. At the time @odinskind needed sliders, the BudBuilt sliders were just coming out, and he needed sliders immediately because of his job.

They called Bud first, there was no way to get a set off the laser in the couple days available. So Bud told them about some of the design details and Iron pig made a one off, weld on version because of the situation. So in the future, Iron Pig will sell the normal BudBuilt bolt on unless you specifically say you want weld on ones.

To talk about other sliders, I originally had Slee sliders and sold them. Riv-nuts are a bad idea down the road when they need to come off from abuse. Riv-nuts like to break free and spin (inside the frame) when loosening after enough stress. I’ve seen this countless times, it’s just how it is, that’s why they are mostly used on Jeep fenders, that aren’t designed to take regular abuse.

The only reason why some have said that BudBuilt sliders are hard to put on is because the KDSS lines. On BudBuilts, the entire frame is supported with a full height, full length frame plate. That frame plate fits between the KDSS lines and the 200s frame. So yes it takes some time to get it in between there. But if you want the strongest, it’s BudBuilt.

All the other designed are 2-3 small frame plates. That doesn’t distribute the load as much and those sliders end up having more defection. My Slee sliders under load would press up against my rocker panel.

So when I moved back on to the east coast, and close to Bud again, I took my 200 to him and showed him what I didn’t like and what I intended to do and he, in my opinion, made the strongest slider available.

Just off of specs, there is nothing stronger. Now does that make BudBuilts the best for everyone? I don’t know. I rock crawl my truck, and I use the sliders and their kick out constantly. I’ve destroyed several companies slider over the years and have found things that do and do not work right. And I just don’t like the other sliders that are available.

Now, if your not pounding it off road, any of these sliders are doing to be fine. But if you're like me, and dropping off ledges, slamming into rocks under heavy throttle to climb up rock garden, not just laying the slider down on a rock, then BudBuilt is the way to go.

Or... you could take my approach to things, “gee I wish my armor wasn’t too strong.” -said no one ever who off roads

Now BudBuilts are made to order, so it will take 9-10 weeks as of now to get some. Other companies that make simpler, less welding, less legs, less metal are able to get them to you much faster. Or other companies are ready to have some sitting in their buildings ready to go at a moments notice. All those sliders are a much better choice for anyone who doesn’t, or can’t wait.

I’ve ask Bud about stocking some, and with 3 different strength options, 8 different fill plate options, kicker or no kicker, and powder color if your choice, there’s just no way to afford that many different combinations laying around.

So in the aspect of simple buying options, Other companies, one option is easier to obtain quicker.

It just comes down to what works best for you, as @Markuson said.

Last edited:
May as well have included:
“Is Apple or Windows best?”

Answer: It depends.

Same for sliders.

-Bolt on or weld?

“Best” just ain’t very objective. It needs a ton o clarifying Qs.

Fair points. I didn't want to limit it too much to just the search for me with my particularities. That being said, I am ready to get sliders and am having a hard time deciding. so for me personally i can answer your clarifying Qs:

-Is Apple or Windows best?
Is that a trick question? That's a easy one, Mac of course! Windows hasn't had anything decent since Windows 95...although now that i remember that wasn't that good either. So yes, Mac is "Best".

yes. I have 3 young kids as well as a few grandparents that still need a step to get in front and back seats

-Bolt on or weld?
I'm saying bolt but partly that's because i have zero welding experience, nor do i have a local shop in Phoenix i know who could do this. I'd really like to be able to install these myself and not have to pay a shop to install.

Not sure

I wasn't concerned with weight because id read that slider weight is down low and pretty evenly distributed. that being said i got a shipping quote from BudBuilt and they said each slider was approx 90lbs. That then made me concerned with weight as I'd like to be able to install these myself if i can.

No. It sounds like the less strong option of any of these options is still most likely going to be strong enough for me.

Never had either but from the threads, i have read i do like the idea of it. easier roof access and easier step in for the little kids

all dirt roading / overlanding. No rock crawling for me

Phoenix, so dry desert and dry mountains

Not really

So, that all being said...."which is The Best?":doh:

The guys at Iron Pig are long time friends with Bud of BudBuilt. At the time @odinskind needed sliders, the BudBuilt sliders were just coming out, and he needed sliders immediately because of his job.

They called Bud first, there was no way to get a set off the laser in the couple days available. So Bud told them about some of the design details and Iron pig made a one off, weld on version because of the situation. So in the future, Iron Pig will sell the normal BudBuilt bolt on unless you specifically say you want weld on ones.

To talk about other sliders, I originally had Slee sliders and sold them. Riv-nuts are a bad idea down the road when they need to come off from abuse. Riv-nuts like to break free and spin (inside the frame) when loosening after enough stress. I’ve seen this countless times, it’s just how it is, that’s why they are mostly used on Jeep fenders, that aren’t designed to take regular abuse.

The only reason why some have said that BudBuilt sliders are hard to put on is because the KDSS lines. On BudBuilts, the entire frame is supported with a full height, full length frame plate. That frame plate fits between the KDSS lines and the 200s frame. So yes it takes some time to get it in between there. But if you want the strongest, it’s BudBuilt.

All the other designed are 2-3 small frame plates. That doesn’t distribute the load as much and those sliders end up having more defection. My Slee sliders under load would press up against my rocker panel.

So when I moved back on to the east coast, and close to Bud again, I took my 200 to him and showed him what I didn’t like and what I intended to do and he, in my opinion, made the strongest slider available.

Just off of specs, there is nothing stronger. Now does that make BudBuilts the best for everyone? I don’t know. I rock crawl my truck, and I use the sliders and their kick out constantly. I’ve destroyed several companies slider over the years and have found things that do and do not work right. And I just don’t like the other sliders that are available.

Now, if your not pounding it off road, any of these sliders are doing to be fine. But if you're like me, and dropping off ledges, slamming into rocks under heavy throttle to climb up rock garden, not just laying the slider down on a rock, then BudBuilt is the way to go.

Or... you could take my approach to things, “gee I wish my armor wasn’t too strong.” -said no one ever who off roads

Now BudBuilts are made to order, so it will take 9-10 weeks as of now to get some. Other companies that make simpler, less welding, less legs, less metal are able to get them to you much faster. Or other companies are ready to have some sitting in their buildings ready to go at a moments notice. All those sliders are a much better choice for anyone who doesn’t, or can’t wait.

I’ve ask Bud about stocking some, and with 3 different strength options, 8 different fill plate options, kicker or no kicker, and powder color if your choice, there’s just no way to afford that many different combinations laying around.

So in the aspect of simple buying options, Other companies, one option is easier to obtain quicker.

It just comes down to what works best for you, as @Markuson said.
very helpful, thorough thank you. So i was just on BudBuilt's site and see they have 3 options. What is the difference between these 2:

Bolt-On Step Sliders | Land Cruiser 200 | BudBuilt Off-Road

and these?:

Bolt-On Rock Sliders | Land Cruiser 200 | BudBuilt Off-Road

are the "step sliders" just flat instead of angled up? I'd think flat would be better with little kids and old people. Are the step ones just as good?

.......again I was in the same boat as you. I was one of TT’s guinea pigs. I have 3 little boys and the sliders work great as a step, are bomb proof and look great! Good luck brah!

.......again I was in the same boat as you. I was one of TT’s guinea pigs. I have 3 little boys and the sliders work great as a step, are bomb proof and look great! Good luck brah!
Looks like I'm just following you all over huh? How hard was the install? You did yourself? Are you able to lift them yourself or did you use jack stands? Any feedback is appreciated

As someone who will never go rock crawling, I like the SLEE steps for being very discreet. If I actually used mine I would go with Bud Built for its design. I was impressed with the stoutness of @linuxgod White Knuckle Sliders. Looked much beefier than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom