2.5" lift need to settle on wheel and tire combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm nearing completion of my rolling frame w/ new 2.5" procomp lift. I need to decide on a tire and wheel size. I like the tall skinny look.
I'm contemplating 33x10.5/15rim or 255/85/16rim. probably leaning with the 15" rim. Any opintion either way?

My understanding is that I should be shooting for a 3.5" backspace. Is anyone running the Procomp 82 series rockcrawler with 3.75" backspace?

Thanks,

I've got the 2" OME lift with the 15" rims and I will add this... finding decent tires in a 33 10.5 15 is definitely a challenge. For me, I've narrowed it down to 3 choices... the BF Goodrich KM2 (many have complained about weak sidewalls), the Maxxis Razor MT (noisy after a few thousand miles), or the Toyo Open Country MT (spendy). You may want to look at the 16" rim to open up more tire options...

I'm eyeballing the dick cepek extreme country. I can get the 33x10.5 in 15 rim or 255/85 in the 16rim

Problem appears to be finding rim with the proper back spacing

If you go 16's look up 235/85R16. It almost gives you a 32 inch tire, and is roughly 9.5 inches wide. That would give it a good skinny look. I did a OME 2.5 lift and that will be the tire/wheel combo I plan to use. Something to keep in mind, when you go 16 inch rim, there is a good chance it will be a 16x7 or 16x8. The 3.5inch backspacing will not be correct since it will be wider than stock, you should be looking at 3.75 or 4 inch backspacing with those width rims.

Those DC's are an awesome tire, but keep in mind that with the 235/85R16 that you are running a Load "E" tire that is built to run at 80 PSI. Sure, you can run lower, but will likely beat your teeth apart like riding in a 90's diesel 3/4 ton unloaded. Just keep that in mind. I do not tow anything particularly heavy with my 08 F250 SuperDuty, so I went with an "E2" Load 35x12.5R20 and WOW what a difference in ride quality.

If I could have done it again, I would have bought 18" Wheels and gone with 35x12.5R18....or :poop: maybe even 37's...

Ok. Now I see I need 6x5.5" bolt pattern 3.5" backspace. Found some procomp that fit, but I'm reading that some heavy rims with the same bolt pattern has a center bore too small. Does anyone know proper center bore?

Hey Tog, my two cent....I went with all pro comp 2.5” lift and pro comp 285/75/16s and rims. Haven’t put them to the test yet, but I’m liking them! Give them a call, they answered all my questions and calc’d the backspacing. The center bore wasn’t an issue for me...

Here’s 235/85R16 on mine with 16x6 wheels, 3.5” backspacing. I really like how these look, just seems very “balanced” on an FJ40. First pic is with 2.5” lift, second pic is stock springs. Sorry for the crappy pictures, wasn’t zoning in on the tires for these, and it’s completely blown apart at the moment!
4BA9903C-216B-488A-9EC1-2625D2FEAA86.jpeg
FB7E5495-CA44-4988-9DCF-4EFDF67ECA54.jpeg

If it matters to you, I also ran these exact tires on my FJ62 and those tires (which weight only 38 lbs each despite being a load range E tire) return a couple MPG’s better than my current 33x10.50 BFG’s on the FJ62 on the highway, and rode great.

Last edited:
Here is a 33x10.5 vs.235/85R16 for comparison:
4229AE5E-5E0A-488C-8111-36E89C10B012.jpeg

The 235/85 is also a very common tire size so replacements are easy to come by most places, and there’s tons of types/tread options.

The Chevy to the right is also on 235/85’s (General Grabber AT’s, which are about an inch wider than the 235/85 brand shown).

I love the options and equipment that racer65 is contributing, but for me a 5.5" wide wheel is a no go. (Kudos to him for finding an option for folks who can't live without their hubcaps, and I do mean that as a compliment). I just went to the 16 x 7 wheel vintiques from summit on my rig and they fit fine. There are a lot of great tire choices in the 235/85-16 size; which, IMHO, seems an ideal tire size for a '40. I have not had them in the dirt yet (still lots of snow around here). They work great for looks and pavement, but I wonder about how they fit under 'articulated circumstances'? Time will tell... I think a lot of the wheel size/ backspacing issue comes down to how the truck is actually going to be used? Given that I just learned about hy-steer all pro arms tonight, fitment seems more about articulation limits and rubbing than TRE clearance? Hope this helps! Cheers, matt

I currently have the Pro Comp PCW51 on my 40 with 31x10.50R15 BFG KOs's and they have been terrific so far. However I start the lift installation today so I can replace the sagging suspension and add the Pro Comp 33x12.50R15 tires on 15 x 10 US Wheels. I bought one of the US Wheel white spoke wheels and with their 3 3/4" backspace it fit. Don't know why but it did. I will do a test fit again today to make sure so if I have to add a spacer and longer wheel studs that can be done as well. The price on the US Wheel web site is $98.42 each for the series 70 wheel but Summit has them for $78.99 with free shipping over $100.

I ordered a set of Wheel Vintique wheels and their 3 1/2" backspace was more like 3 5/8" and the rim fully contacted the TRE so I sent them back. Plus they are very heavy. Shipping weight was 30 pounds each as compared to 22 for the US Wheel spokes.
DWS_1131.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

I just installed the Dick Cepek 33x10.5x15 on early 15x6 Toyota rims. Took me about 3 weeks to get the tires. Love the way they ride so far. Soon to get the 2.5' lift. So far no major rubbing, but I have not taken it off the pavement yet.

0323181638.jpg

Started the Pro Comp lift install today. I managed to get the rear springs installed but the 70 year old body didn't like that much work. I'm paying for it dearly now.

Everything went smoothly except those blasted pins. Both of the rear pins fought me tooth and nail until I finally won the battle. This is a two person install for sure!

Thanks for the input guys! Decisions, decisions. I'm going to look for some sources on the 16x6 rims. If I can't find anything, I'm gonna go with the 15x8 procomps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom